Author Topic: How it is in the IC bussiness [carrer advice needed]  (Read 1898 times)

Offline ondoTopic starter

• Contributor
How it is in the IC bussiness [carrer advice needed]
« on: April 19, 2016, 08:40:40 am »

Hi,
My career path is kind of a mess (the good type though) and I find myself in front of one of those defining moments. I've been doing PCB design for quite some time, but I might switch to IC design.

The major questions to wich I have no answer that I think will be determinant in the decision are:

- When I look around for jobs, it looks like there's more activity (specially in the good income range) for the IC designers than for PCB design. Is it that way? I live in spain, so there's basically no job for both, but I'm seriously considering moving out.

- One of the options I'm looking is to go for a phd, is that a good way to enter the IC job market?

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
Re: How it is in the IC bussiness [carrer advice needed]
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:37:22 pm »
Intel have announced sacking 11% of workforce world wide due to a slump in PC market.
They are probably going to try and find a new direction.

Looking for a job in this market ( IC design) at this point in time is going to be interesting.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 02:43:24 am »
Intel have announced sacking 11% of workforce world wide due to a slump in PC market.
They are probably going to try and find a new direction.

Looking for a job in this market ( IC design) at this point in time is going to be interesting.

Any industry where experienced people are looking for jobs is going to make it a lot harder for a newbie entering the field.

Don't be scared off trying, just understand the landscape.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 07:00:25 am »
"I've been doing PCB design is a bit vague" and "quite some time" are pretty vague. How many years have you been working? What qualifications do you have? What types of PCB have you been designing? Does your education include any areas of semiconductor development? The answers to those questions are going to have a big impact  on what makes sense for your path forward. Last year's semiconductor mergers are finalising, and turning into this year's layoffs. It may not be the best year to be entering this field.

I think the best strategy for most people trying to move from PCB design to semiconductor design would be to apply for applications and FAE jobs in semiconductor companies, and try to position yourself towards semiconductor development from there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf