Author Topic: How Much is This Job Worth?  (Read 5057 times)

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
How Much is This Job Worth?
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:27:27 am »
The following job has been posted at the factory where a friend of mine works. The only problem is the usual trap of stating your salary requirements in your initial application. So, how much do you think this job is worth (EUR or USD)

Electronics Technician (m / f)

The advertised position offers exciting and versatile tasks in a currently small, highly motivated team in a company with strong growth opportunities.

To strengthen our team we are looking for electronics (m / w).

Your tasks

Board assembly by hand
    Installation of special components
    Developing test methodologies
    Measurement tests of assemblies
    Modification of existing modules
    Visual inspection / quality control
    Basic tasks in a chemistry lab under cleanroom conditions
    (No special knowledge required)

Your profile

Completed training as an electronics (m / w) for equipment and systems (industrial / communication electronics) or experience in this area
    Experience in the field of electrical measurement technology and in the assembly of printed circuit boards with SMD (0603 or less) and THT
    Good eyesight (corrective lenses is not a problem)
    English skills desirable for communication in an international team
    Non smoking desirable because cleanroom activities

Our range

Interesting and varied activities
    Qualified and individual care
    Fixed monthly gross salary
    Indefinite employment
    Flexible working hours
    Activities at the factory (no sales)
    Part-time models possible
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: How Much is This Job Worth?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:01 am »
The only problem is the usual trap of stating your salary requirements in your initial application. So, how much do you think this job is worth (EUR or USD)

This is indicative of either an HR department that doesn't know its market, or where they are desperate to employ more bodies, or they will screw down your salary as far as they can, or all three.

Do some market research of your own. Look on job advert websites to get a clue what the salary is in that area. Ring them up and ask! In the UK you can use any name you like so long as you aren't committing fraud.

Failing that, "My salary requirements are comparable with other people in your company. If you pay me significantly less than them, I will be disappointed. If you pay me significantly more than them, they will be disappointed".

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 05:51:38 pm »
The only problem is the usual trap of stating your salary requirements in your initial application. So, how much do you think this job is worth (EUR or USD)

If they are a small corporation What can you expect them? A salary as the Group Siemens.

Do some market research of your own. Look on job advert websites to get a clue what the salary is in that area. Ring them up and ask! In the UK you can use any name you like so long as you aren't committing fraud.

I try to find finantial information or reports of the doubtful corporations with the goal to discovered :inconsistencies, kind trade society ,non-payments,etc

example:http://www.infocif.es/ficha-empresa/mentes-dinamicas-sl

The following users thanked this post: kmossman

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 12:53:22 am »
"I would hope to earn EUR80000* for such a role, but of course I can be flexible given the excellent opportunities I feel your company could offer"

*Or any other over-inflated salary you wish.

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 02:59:37 pm »
"I would hope to earn EUR80000* for such a role, but of course I can be flexible given the excellent opportunities I feel your company could offer"

*Or any other over-inflated salary you wish.

And a HR drone will just move it to trash in 0.5 sec after seeing said number and without reading anything.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 04:41:46 pm »
Or not becasue she's already thrown out 10 of them and they actually start realizing they do need someone and that seems to be what the market price is...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 10:14:27 pm »
This is in our country an medium level job, so medium education and salaries would be between 30k€ to max 40-45k€ depending on experience age etc. etc.

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:33:33 am »
It's in Germany, but no exact region is given, so it can vary a lot...

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 11:48:56 am »
I read that as a PCB assembly job over an actual engineer level job. I would imaging in the 36,000/y aud price bracket.

There wording leads me to think side by side desks in a separated area with 2-4 current workers. Probably not enough people to have a healthy work ethic, but I could be wrong.

If it is indeed a PCB assembly gig, make sure they have a good fume extractor at every work bench. If not ask for more, so you can get one yourself.

If you will actually be designing products and you have a solid knowledge base then something in the 56-64k aud bracket.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 06:37:57 pm »
Depending on how critical the work is, I'd rather pay 45-55k USD and get my pick of candidates than need a $100K+ engineer to babysit the tech.

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 08:02:04 pm »
Not gone, just monitoring the replies and there is some useful information here for me to pass on. A local employment agency reckons that the job is worth 35,000 EUR but someone I spoke to this evening who is in a similar job thinks that 45,000 EUR should be asked for depending on experience.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 09:48:16 pm »
Is it normal in Germany to state the salary requirements?
In the Netherlands the company gives a salary indication in the advertisement and after you receive an invitation and both parties are interested the salary is negotiated.
Some big companies ask your previous salary and they then offer some increase on that if feasible for that job and ofcourse when they want you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf