Author Topic: looking for everything engineer  (Read 10151 times)

Offline sarepairman2Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
looking for everything engineer
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:51:17 pm »
skills required

-25 years experience solidworks 2016+
-passionate about not receiving a paycheck
-capable of instantaneous quantum relocation (flying to work may be acceptable)
-able to make managers look good

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: looking for everything engineer
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:44:16 pm »
or equivalent work experience?

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:36 pm »
synergy?

Offline Armxnian

• Regular Contributor
  • Computer Engineering Student
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:28:19 pm »
I think Goku might be your guy.

skills required

1. Has access to a time machine so he can achieve 25 years of Solid Works 2016 experience even though it's only been out for a couple of months.

2. Frequently saves planet earth from certain obliteration and does not request monetary payment for his services.

3. Has the ability to use instant transmission. Can fly to work if needed.

4. Does not boast or take much credit for his accomplishments. Often makes Master Roshi and King Kai look good by portraying tremendous skill.

*Bonus*: Can use dragon balls to acquire engineering knowledge.

Contact Akira Toriyama for more information.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:30:33 pm by Armxnian »

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 12:07:09 am »
I think Goku might be your guy.

skills required

1. Has access to a time machine so he can achieve 25 years of Solid Works 2016 experience even though it's only been out for a couple of months.

2. Frequently saves planet earth from certain obliteration and does not request monetary payment for his services.

3. Has the ability to use instant transmission. Can fly to work if needed.

4. Does not boast or take much credit for his accomplishments. Often makes Master Roshi and King Kai look good by portraying tremendous skill.

*Bonus*: Can use dragon balls to acquire engineering knowledge.

Contact Akira Toriyama for more information.

I am VEGETA, prince of all Saiyans! I achieved Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan power!

This job is nothing compared to my power, thus it will be a waste of my time.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:56:33 am »
skills required

Now that's just being ridiculous...

Offline sarepairman2Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 07:22:34 pm »
A little more about the job.r

We service .. uh..  tape cassettes.. in a very non corporate environment. Included in the job are three meals per work day of nutritious blue .. yogurt...

Here is a picture of our receiving department.

We also have employee dormitories (don't worry its not foxcon people!)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:24:48 pm by sarepairman2 »

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 07:34:41 pm »
I am VEGETA, prince of all Saiyans!

this is Vegeta and it's original ;)

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:05:55 pm »
I think you forgot "must be under 30 to fit into our young and dynamic team."

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 10:34:18 pm »
skills required

The first 3 are achievable, just very very tricky.
The last one doesn't even make sense.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 10:56:17 pm »
the same poor guy once found, will have to deal with clients asking for board that they have no idea what it should do ,so they say that it should do everything, in 3 weeks and should not cost more than 100$.
anyone thinking that one of us will have this week someone asking about a board that detect gravitational waves  :-DD

Offline ratdude747

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 07:29:23 am »
This is how it feels on my end. Entry level is 3-5 years experience. And other impossible to attain qualities. And what kills it is there always seems to be some lying **** who has everything they want even when it's not physically possible. Degrees aren't enough even for entry level it seems... I know,  :blah:

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 08:28:22 am »
So if I may ask, how can a new electronics engineer find a job in his field? for me, I know microcontroller programming especially PIC, along other design skills... I still lack practical experience.

So, do you have some ideas?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 08:56:52 am »
build things that interest you? see if a friend has something they want repaired but don't mind loosing, find a cheap thing on ebay, make it better and get it assembled for less, and sell them for less than a dollar profit each to learn all the ins and outs of getting something made at medium size production,

find a cheap item you dont understand, and break it until you do,

work in customer support for a week in just about any company to get the hang of finding out what people want without insulting them, this carries over into design briefs way more than it should.....

give me some examples of practical knowledge you lack, e.g. I myself know i lack >1Ghz RF and 3D modeling knowledge, by being able to put a name to each thing i think i lack its easier to know what to learn to round you out,

And yes, i have done the ebay thing quite a bit... you would be surprised how much people will jump on a smd version of a product used in modeling, just because its much smaller, and easier to hide,

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 11:00:49 am »
build things that interest you? see if a friend has something they want repaired but don't mind loosing, find a cheap thing on ebay, make it better and get it assembled for less, and sell them for less than a dollar profit each to learn all the ins and outs of getting something made at medium size production,

find a cheap item you dont understand, and break it until you do,

work in customer support for a week in just about any company to get the hang of finding out what people want without insulting them, this carries over into design briefs way more than it should.....

give me some examples of practical knowledge you lack, e.g. I myself know i lack >1Ghz RF and 3D modeling knowledge, by being able to put a name to each thing i think i lack its easier to know what to learn to round you out,

And yes, i have done the ebay thing quite a bit... you would be surprised how much people will jump on a smd version of a product used in modeling, just because its much smaller, and easier to hide,

What I understood from your post is that the degree is useless (or almost). I have started a youtube channel showing my engineering stuff (for fun), it has only 1 video now. Perhaps you could watch it and tell me your opinion in my skills... I know it is not enough to judge but you get the idea because the video is about explaining a problem, its causes, and how to solve it the right way. it is in my signature.

I don't really have enough equipment till now, and in my country (or region) there is no way I can work in designing electronics products because this type of market just doesn't exist there. So I am on a handicap here because in such markets they will surely prefer the local engineer especially that he has more experience than me simply because of the environment. To tell you more, the other reason I started the channel is to gain attention of such companies in the future when my skills are more refined. I really aim to learn huge amounts of stuff... but I don't know where to start, plus my bad economy xD.

thanks for your post though.

Offline zzattack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 11:14:52 am »
Well, who could not "be passionate about not receiving a paycheck" I wonder

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 12:08:52 pm »
The degree is not about practical knowledge, this is a common misconception, It is about bringing your level of knowledge up to a standard level and training you on ways to approach problems,

a purely DIY person will have gaps compared to the degree, but there significance greatly depends on the industry of work,

From your video, (I skimmed it, I'm more an atmel and stmicro guy myself) The first few thoughts are, your choice of microphone is less than cell phone quality, Why this matters is, with such a flattened and compressed voice, it is very difficult to pay attention for more than say 15 minutes before the average person zones out,

Next thought is you pad your vocabulary with many "umm" "err" etc, this comes down to bad habits i myself have had to correct, Communication is a large part of this field, as the concepts can be very precise and abstract, its better to pause that half second, than fill it with a noise, as it will detract, this also doubles on a physiological basis (people think your choosing your words rather than stumbling)

As for technical knowledge, you have shown you understand simulation, low level programming, and datasheets, as well as competent math (again i skimmed) None of this to me exactly stands out, and that the simulation tool is heavily focused on education makes me assume you where taught it in a class,

Equipment wise, you have a micro controller, and likely a multi meter, with a few passive devices, a micro can work as a low rate oscilloscope or logic analyser for under $5, it might not be great, heck it might not be good, but if its works, its a tool you can use to build your knowledge with, and for some ideas all it takes is some very crude tool to say yes or no on if something is possible,

I'll give an example for that, as i do not freely part with money, for a project, had to design a compact RFID reader that spat out a custom protocol, had to design a pcb antenna for 13.56Mhz, only had a frequency source that covered 8Mhz, dug up that i could use diodes and other active devices to generate harmonics of the signal, then made a band-gap filter with some passives to double the frequency of my source to test it, It worked, and now there are hundreds sold without issue, total parts cost about $6.80.again crude go-no go test,

To wrap it up, if you think learning a particular skill or topic will defiantly make you eligible or a job, then go for it, but dont burn yourself out on it, find challenges that are slightly beyond what you know and try and beat them, with all skills, if you have strong motivation to learn it, you will retain it better, and hopefully come to understand the ins and outs of why over just "do this, but never this"

An engineer can do with a dollar what a user can do with $100 :)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 01:08:31 pm »
What I understood from your post is that the degree is useless (or almost).

A degree is not useless. It demonstrates dedication over a period of years, rigour, knowledge. Not having one is often a lockout in a CV.

Understand that HR-droids will prefer to hire someone with no visible deficiencies - and to them that is more important than hiring someone with demonstrable advantages. To them, someone without a degree is riskier than someone with a degree. Ignorant? Yes. But that's the way such droids "think".

Once you are in a company, a degree is far less important - but what you learned from the degree might make all the difference in your progression.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 12:51:06 am »
How did this devolve into the "is a degree worth it?" argument again? 

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 05:29:50 am »
The first few thoughts are, your choice of microphone is less than cell phone quality, Why this matters is, with such a flattened and compressed voice, it is very difficult to pay attention for more than say 15 minutes before the average person zones out,

Actually, I used the microphone in the laptop itself. It is bad, I know but right now there is no other option. Maybe with time I will buy some good equipment that matches my budget (maybe a headset with a mic is good).

Next thought is you pad your vocabulary with many "umm" "err" etc, this comes down to bad habits i myself have had to correct

As I said, my English speaking abilities are rusty and unreliable right now (out of practice), so these things are momentarily. It will get better by doing more videos.

As for technical knowledge, you have shown you understand simulation, low level programming, and datasheets, as well as competent math (again i skimmed) None of this to me exactly stands out, and that the simulation tool is heavily focused on education makes me assume you where taught it in a class,

This is interesting, can you explain to me in details why exactly it doesn't stand out for you? What is the required set of skills that you think is the minimum?

Simulation tool is widely spread online with many tutorials... I usually like to put everything on a breadboard but Proteus has good models for PIC MCUs which makes it less painful. That is the sole reason I use it, and they didn't teach us that in a class. I have used LTSpice before too.

To wrap it up, if you think learning a particular skill or topic will defiantly make you eligible or a job, then go for it, but dont burn yourself out on it, find challenges that are slightly beyond what you know and try and beat them, with all skills, if you have strong motivation to learn it, you will retain it better, and hopefully come to understand the ins and outs of why over just "do this, but never this"

There are stuff that I am interested in for sure, but they may not be good for most employers. What I think the best way is: Keep learning and posting Youtube technical videos and tutorials to demonstrate what I learned... Is that good? xD

An engineer can do with a dollar what a user can do with $100 :)

Yeah... but the normal man buys a PlayStation 4 for say 400$... the engineer uses that 400$ to buy a digital scope, then borrow another 400$ for the PS4 (multiplying his debt from the previous month where he probably did the same thing).. xD

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 07:06:51 am »
To clarify, and not to put you down, the skills i observed appeared on par, average, not that they don't meet a minimum, again it depends on what kind of industry you want to be a part of, small operators may prefer less experienced to train you in there own methods, but in these cases you have to be honest when you do not yet understand a concept, (This was my own starting point more or less)

If your after a particular job, look at what they do, and think of what kind of knowledge there workers need, read around, build up a basis, so that when they ask you on stuff you can try and break it down to simpler concepts that you do understand,

Now most of my knowledge does not include facing a head hunter, but rather, talking to an employee after there shift and asking more about what they do and what kind of positions they need filled, Internal recommendations can get you through some otherwise closed doors to people without degrees, Not all workers might play nice here, and there may be cultural differences i don't grasp, but that is an approach i have found success with in the past,

The youtube video thing is fine,

As for the last point, if you have $400, and want a console, then fine, but why go into debt for it?, If you cant afford something, and the ownership of the item will not generate a positive return, then hold off until you can afford it. Hitting $0 is painful, but being stuck paying interest each month is money lost for a lack of patience.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 09:19:13 am »
There are stuff that I am interested in for sure, but they may not be good for most employers. What I think the best way is: Keep learning and posting Youtube technical videos and tutorials to demonstrate what I learned... Is that good? xD

Not bad, but...

I speed-read 1000 words in about 30s, to find out whether there is anything worth spending 15 minutes understanding. 1000 words in a video would take 10-15 minutes so speak - so no way will I look at the video unless I am sure in advance that it is directly important to me.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 01:25:02 pm »
To clarify, and not to put you down, the skills i observed appeared on par, average, not that they don't meet a minimum

great, that is what I rate myself too.

Now most of my knowledge does not include facing a head hunter, but rather, talking to an employee after there shift and asking more about what they do and what kind of positions they need filled

This is your case where you live in a country or region full of such markets and companies, I am not at all. However, it all comes to what can you show them of your skills.

As for the last point, if you have $400, and want a console, then fine, but why go into debt for it?, If you cant afford something, and the ownership of the item will not generate a positive return, then hold off until you can afford it. Hitting $0 is painful, but being stuck paying interest each month is money lost for a lack of patience.

that was a mere joke, I don't own a PS4 nor plan to in the near future.

I speed-read 1000 words in about 30s, to find out whether there is anything worth spending 15 minutes understanding. 1000 words in a video would take 10-15 minutes so speak - so no way will I look at the video unless I am sure in advance that it is directly important to me.

I know the video was bad, but it is just a start. I didn't want it to be 56 mins, but I thought it would be good if I explained all the details especially that many beginners including my past self find it hard. Anyway, I will aim at a 20 min max for my future videos.

As for the equipment, this is out of my hands right now... But I will get better ones later for sure. lol, looking forward to shoot a video using my Nexus 4 camera xD.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 07:41:09 pm »
I know the video was bad, but it is just a start. I didn't want it to be 56 mins, but I thought it would be good if I explained all the details especially that many beginners including my past self find it hard. Anyway, I will aim at a 20 min max for my future videos.

The comment applies to all videos. I've no idea whether your video is good or bad, because I haven't looked at it.

Realise that it took me 30s to speed read your CV.
How much could I learn from a video in that time? (Zilch)
How much time would I have to spend watching a video to learn as much as I can speedreading a CV? (Too much; I've got better things to do)
How do I search a CV to find the interesting bits? I use ^f or whatever.
How do I search a video to find the interesting bits? I can't.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 10:30:51 am »
just how did you read my CV?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf