Author Topic: Need an occasional design consultant for re-engineering OLD designs.  (Read 3639 times)

Offline HHaaseTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
My little home business is growing slowly. Essentially, everything I do is related to old pinball machines.   My lineup consists of some basic diagnostic testers, a few oddball RAM/ROM adapters, and a few replacement PCB's.  I'd like to expand more into the replacement PCB market.  But not just re-building old designs, I want to modernize them as much as practical.  But I need help.  I know the concepts of the changes I want to make, based on known design flaws and production complexities.  I can get things about 80% of the way there.  I just can't carry through on the details.  RAM/ROM addressing,  TTL Logic, Generally simple I/O circuits,  maybe some occasional basic audio stuff,  a lot of IR opto circuits for sure.   

My skillset is more in manufacturing, diagnostics, repair, DFM type work, It's definitely NOT electrical engineering.   I know WHAT kind of things I want to make, but can't quite get the designs together on my own.   Give me a crude schematic,  and I can usually take it the rest of the way. Essentially everything I deal with is based around some variant of the Motorola 6800 series processors.  I have a solid knowledge base of the pitfalls and design flaws on the old designs, from previous work as a repair tech on these systems. These are 40 year old TTL logic systems, with multiple low capacity RAM/ROM chips, and there is a LOT of room for modernization and simplification.  And holy-moly are the old designs power hogs,  talk about systems that get HOT!   There's huge opportunity to make these things much better than they are.

Something anybody here may be interested in working on with me?  I can't pay much, this is a side business after all, but I'm hoping if things keep growing the way they've been, I will be able to improve on that as time goes on. So this is more something for a talented hobbiest,  retired EE, or somebody that just wants something different on the side to entertain them.  Been running this show for 8 years now and while the finances aren't making me rich, I'm in good enough shape to keep things going for the long haul.   

Offline HHaaseTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Have had a couple feelers from folks about this one, thank you for getting in touch.
At the moment though the field is wide open.

Offline Clear as mud

• Regular Contributor
    • Pax Electronics
Re: Need an occasional design consultant for re-engineering OLD designs.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 01:45:04 am »
Are you still looking for anyone?

Offline rahandford

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 05:54:26 am »
Would be happy to help if I can. Please email me rupert_handford@mr3deisgn.net

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 12:14:59 am »
I run old pinball machines too. Would be happy to collaborate on replacements and upgrades etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf