Author Topic: PCB layout work - Altium  (Read 3677 times)

Offline JdotFaddenTopic starter

PCB layout work - Altium
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:34:14 am »
Hello,

I am looking for someone who can lay out a PCB for a Z80-based microprocessor.  Here is the job.

[]  3 years PCB layout experience is required. Previous contracting work experience is required.
[]  The Altium tool was recommended by Dave Jones in one of his v-Blogs, but I will consider other tools.
[]  I can draw schematics and provide documentation, but I don't know what formats to use. You will need to instruct me on what I need to give you. I have wire-wrapped and bread-boarded microprocessor systems before, but never "PCB'd" them.
[] The project uses old-school, through-hole technology on the CPU board. In addition, one or more surface-mount boards w/ high speed logic and DMA interfaces are needed. 
[] Two of the human interfaces are proprietary, so a non-disclosure agreement is necessary.

Send an email to stevem@gladucalled.com to pursue further.  We can Skype to negotiate details and terms.

Thank you.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: PCB layout work - Altium
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:32:44 am »
If you are asking for purely a turn this schematic into a PCB service then the provided schematics also have to have notes regarding how to lay it out so the person drawing the schematic has to have some idea of how PCB layout works.

These are things such as what components to keep close together, what traces to keep short. When it comes to high speed things it gets in to what to route as diff pairs and with what impedance, what needs to be length matched, how to fork out and terminate clock signals etc.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:20:09 am »
Yes, I want someone to turn my schematic into a PCB.  But my first mystery is this - how should draw the schematic?  Is there a popular tool I should use?  I would like to start out using whatever format is needed.
Thanks for the response

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 02:48:57 am »
Generally the schematic tool is part of the EDA, which is the whole software package for drawing the PCB. If you want them to use Altium then you'll have to use Altium yourself to capture the schematic. Another option is draw it any way that suits you, one of the free EDAs, even with a pencil and paper. If it's not super complex that may be a sensible way to go about it, schematic capture is generally a fairly small percentage of the whole process time-wise.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 03:48:32 am »
Hello all,

I got a private message but was unable to respond because "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED ACCESS TO THIS...whatever bull.  F'd-up message board configuration. 
So... do not PM me.  You can send email to me at ZORak@gladucalled.com.  {Flame Off}

That being said, here is my response to the message I received.  I was asked to provide more information.

. . . , this is pretty much standard fare: a Z80, a 14.7 MHz generator w/ a 12 bit ripple counter, an SIO (the one that does BISYNC), a 40 pin header for an off board DMA interface, a place for a few 10 pin ribbon cable sockets, two RS-232 9 pin connectors, 32K ROM, 32 RAM, some kind of TTL 3-pin  connector for a terminal emulator.  Also, a PIO, probably not a CTC, and some DAC ADC parts. 

I have some configurations and memory maps spec'd out.  The biggest feature of the design will be the ability to configure the board for a wide variety of applications, populating only those parts which are needed.  These applications range form a baby 256 byte front panel, toggle-switch computer to a CPM machine.  I also have several applications planned that will require a GPS receiver, 240V contactors, navigational ephemeris data, and environmental sensors.  Many of these devices will be off-board.

Right now, I want to get started with the heart of the system.  I have built microprocessor system before.  I can draw schematics with pencil and paper, but I want to start out with a format that can be used to generate a PCB. 

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 03:50:39 am »
This may not be Altium, as that path, I am learning, seem to be expensive.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:07:42 am by JdotFadden »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 03:58:03 am »
My humble suggestion is don't concern yourself with the specific software package used, for the sort of thing you want done it shouldn't really matter, KiCAD, DipTrace, Eagle, etc will work fine. The important part is that the person using the tool knows how to lay out a good board.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 04:07:10 am »
So, hitting the REPLY icon on a message doesn't post a message to the person you are replying too.  It just posts a message like any other?!  What's next ?!

To Berni,
  This message is in REPLY to yours.  "This may not be Altium, as that path, I am learning, seem to be expensive."

To james_s,
  Thanks for the advise on the tools.  I will keep looking for the person who knows how to lay out a good board.

To all,
  Use my zorak email if you want to reach me.  zorak@gladucalled.com

I had to log in three times to get this shit posted. I am out of here.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:08:46 am by JdotFadden »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 04:12:06 am »
Reply replies to the thread, Quote replies with a quote of a specific message you're replying to. If you want to send a private message to someone you can click on their name and compose one. Not sure why you're having problems logging in, does the problem occur on any other sites? Other browsers? Mine saves my login just fine.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 06:08:28 am »
Its possible there is now a minimum post requirement or something for sending PMs due to some spam issue.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 08:19:18 am »
Its possible there is now a minimum post requirement or something for sending PMs due to some spam issue.

That is correct.  There is a minimum post count before members can access the PM system for exactly that reason.  The minimum is currently 5, I believe.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 10:26:15 am »
Come back, JdotFadden!

It looks like a few posts complaining about not being able to use the PM system has enabled your use of PMs!
 :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf