Author Topic: CERN's contribution to KiCAD  (Read 88548 times)

Offline hak8or

Re: CERN's contribution to KiCAD
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2014, 02:22:47 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly that is one of my first things I checked. My build path has been C:\Users\hak8or\Desktop\kicad-winbuilder-3.3 but no dice. I might try again one last time by running it at the actual root of the drive, but the file path is so short as is that it shouldn't make a diffirence.

Offline hak8or

« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »
Here is what I ended up doing instead, partially because BZR on windows is for some reason horrifically slow for me.

Download vmplayer (free version at the bottom of the page)
http://www.vmware.com/products/player

Download Kubuntu. Please consider using a torrent to save them bandwidth costs.
http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Set up vmplayer with Kubuntu as the boost ISO and let Kubuntu install (this takes like 10 minutes). Don't skimp on RAM for it since compiling with too little RAM will give you internal compiler errors, I gave it 2 GB and it was fine.

After Kubuntu is installed, run apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade so it gets all the recent updates.

Download this script and edit line 42 from "REVISION=$STABLE" to "REVISION=$TESTING"
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kicad-product-committers/kicad/product/view/head:/scripts/kicad-install.sh

Run the script and wait a good hour or so for it to fully compile and set itself up.

When this is all done, you can use kcad normally inside the VM. To start Kcad click on the icon on the bottom left, search for Kcad, and start it from there.

You can also run Kcad in Unity mode so it would look like a normal application in windows. This will give you a look like this:

Keep in mind that the non stable branch is, well, not stable! There are bugs, and it throws a fit when you try to open a new window with Unity. But other than that, it works!

Edit: OpenGL mode does not work for now using this setup, use Cario which is far slower but looks nicer while also not crashing every time you want to work with the new auto router.
Here is what quick few clicks did for me while getting a feel for kicad:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:47:30 pm by hak8or »

Offline Vasi

• Regular Contributor
    • Visual Pin Configurator for Nucleo L152RE - produces SPL code.
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2014, 06:11:05 pm »
Actually, is much simpler to install a "push&shove" version of KiCAD (the router is named "the interactive router"). It does not need compilation, as is an windows installer:

http://kicad.nosoftware.cz/windows/KiCad_testing-2014.10.03-BZR5161_Win_full_version.exe

After installing it, you have to watch this tutorial to know how to use those great options when you design the pcb:

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2015, 09:41:46 pm »
Differential pair routing coming soon.

David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2015, 05:15:13 am »
nobody who are able to build binary for windows care to build the latest code branch? i heard good stories but the build i have is still the ancient one.

If you are using Windows, get yourself kicad-winbuilder. It will checkout the current kicad sources, download all dependencies, and build kicad -- all you need to do is running a simple batch file.

If you don't have the fastest internet connection or no patience for the build to complete or hate kicadwinbuilder, you might check the downloads at http://kicad.nosoftware.cz/. Latest Windows build offered there is at time of writing the revision BZR5376 from 17. January.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:29:31 am by elgonzo »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2015, 06:57:57 am »
kicad-winbuilder
http://kicad.nosoftware.cz/.
thank you! those are rare links, i'll download after 2AM when the traffic is cleared, and if i'm still concious.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2015, 09:08:39 am »
All those features are nice to have. But they should really do a code freeze and release a stable version.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2015, 09:30:45 am »
That's pretty much what they're doing now. I think the plan is for a release sometime in the next 6 months if I recall (could be wrong). Certainly they're no longer making big changes anyway.

For what its worth, I've been using whatever is latest using the kicad winbuilder script to build it and it's been really quite stable. I've done about 5 boards with it now and not had any issues other than the 3d viewer thing which got a bit upset with one of my boards, hardly the end of the world.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2015, 09:58:36 am »
Great news!

I have be using the rolling version, and submitting bugs, for more than a year now.

Alexander.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2015, 04:47:15 pm »
All those features are nice to have. But they should really do a code freeze and release a stable version.

Alexander.

+1

Including an official binary release for Mac OSX. 

Offline stryker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2015, 09:16:57 pm »
I've been using the launchpad winbuilder to use some of these new features.  I couldn't see me sticking with KiCad without them.

My first experience wasn't great, but the second attempt has been stable and I've stuck with it.  I plan to update every month or so.  Its a fluid and evolving product like so many open source products I use so I don't expect it to stay still.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2015, 10:44:33 am »
i downloaded latest binary. why i got broken traces when editing segment? is it becoming worst than "dex freeangle" routing? or is it just me?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2015, 05:43:59 am »
looks like you dragged the segment.

If not can you reproduce?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2015, 05:58:18 am »
G to move the whole trace. M or dragging just picks up the one segment.

Though keep in mind that the routing algorithm is still early - it does occasionally do not so clever things. But this looks like you just used the wrong tool.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2015, 08:21:30 am »
G to move the whole trace. M or dragging just picks up the one segment.
Though keep in mind that the routing algorithm is still early - it does occasionally do not so clever things. But this looks like you just used the wrong tool.
thanks for the tip but... i didnt click anything, just open up the sample pcb, click on a segment and drag. M did the same thing, the white arrow button on top right also did the same thing. G did not do anything. i expect "auto reroute" on the other connected segments, hence they all still connected when i drag something. dragging a component footprint also leave the once connected trace as is, making it unconnected after dragging. this version (latest) of kicad went into super simple pencil and paper routing mode by default.  :-//

Offline stryker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:08 am »
Not sure how you did that at all.  If you're in Add Tracks & Vias mode, without using a shortcut clicking and dragging a trace just creates a bounding box just like in the default mode.  M grabbs one end of the segment but it stays connected; G grabs the segment but it stays connected.  Just trying this as I type in build BZR5380 for Windows.   :-// +1

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2015, 10:19:52 am »
i activate switch canvas to OpenGL, that way it draw way faster and then i have "realtime" segment click and drag, very well i guess that one step ahead in this version, and what was explained (create bounding box and select/move segments) is the way kicad has been doing by default, that for me is several steps more than what i used to in other eda, nevermind, thanks.

Offline stryker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2015, 10:22:20 am »
Confirmed.  I get what you see in opengl view too.

Offline PeterZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2015, 10:23:39 am »
I'm on 5376 Win7 (install from http://kicad.nosoftware.cz/). It looks like the Grab/Move functions work as described only in default viewing mode. When switched to OpenGL i can only move a whole segment of a track. There is no Grab function when you right-click over a track:

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2015, 12:50:23 pm »
i didnt click anything, just open up the sample pcb, click on a segment and drag.

You didn't click, you just clicked? ???

Switch to track edit mode first. X.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2015, 02:40:33 pm »
Works fine with 5403 (GNU/Linux) when in track mode.

Alexander.

Offline PeterZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2015, 04:46:11 pm »
Hah, i just routed the whole board by switching back to default to move vias/tracks  :palm:. Learned something new today! I can confirm, it works in 5376/Win7 ok, the key is to turn on the track edit mode.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2015, 07:19:04 pm »
Works fine with 5403 (GNU/Linux) when in track mode.
[picture]
ditto! now its so much fun with push and shove somemore...

the key is to turn on the track edit mode.
the problem is when i hover the mouse on the said button it says "add tracks and vias" i aint "adding", i want to just "edit" or "move". now i know some tricks and shortcuts. i'm a kicad noobs dont blame me i've been come and go from kicad install looking for a reason why i should learn kicad more... today i found one reason :P

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2015, 02:47:42 pm »
FYI: CERN gives KiCAD some exposure in the updates section of their web site, also mentioning the soon to be coming differential pair routing and trace length matching features...

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2015, 08:38:53 pm »
I've been using the Ubuntu Software Centre's offering for Kicad (16-Jul-2014 BZR) but am very interested in the CERN advancements.

So two questions:-

a) Can someone point me to a CERN version compiled for Linux preferably with detailed installation instructions?

b) Does anyone with Ubuntu connections know if they intend to offer the new CERN Kicad upgrades any time?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf