Author Topic: Interactive Html Bom Plugin  (Read 13547 times)

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: Interactive Html Bom Plugin
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 06:01:30 pm »
qu1ck: I am just wondering if there is a chance to have something similar, which would highlight complete tracks based on nets, or at least highlights a pad associated with the net.

Certainly in Kicad 5.0.0, that feature already exists. From the main menu choose Inspect then List Nets. Select a net and it is highlighted in the layout.

Additionally, I would like to also have an option for selecting a different layer for part outlines. For example, I don't use the solder mask layer but F.Fab and B.Fab.

Those layers are built into the footprints. I think that the most-up-to-date standard Kicad libraries actually do what you want -- the outlines (or at least part body) are on a fab layer. Look at them to see if they are what you want. Otherwise, you can modify the footprints as you like and save them to your own libraries.

Offline qu1ckTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 07:56:28 pm »
qu1ck: I am just wondering if there is a chance to have something similar, which would highlight complete tracks based on nets, or at least highlights a pad associated with the net.
As noted in a reply above, Kicad can already do that, no plugin needed.

Additionally, I would like to also have an option for selecting a different layer for part outlines. For example, I don't use the solder mask layer but F.Fab and B.Fab.
This plugin aims to assist with manual population of the board. That is you have a board in one hand and bunch of components you need to place in a pile. On the pcb render only things that you can actually see on the board are drawn: silkscreen and pads (solder mask layer is ignored). That helps you visually identify places where each component goes.

I personally don't see how adding fab layer helps with that but maybe I'm missing some use case. Still, more than one person asked for that so I plan to add that option.
If you explain how you envision using fab layer I would prioritize that feature higher.

Btw plugin was recently updated to v2, grab the latest from github.
Nothing is true (as far as measurements go)
and everything is permitted (as long as you are ok with magic smoke escaping)

Offline doobedoobedo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 12:23:28 am »
Loving this. :-+

Thanks for sharing and the effort you put into it.

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 12:39:45 am »
Very nice html plugin. the "copy bom table " function works to text editor as well spreadsheets.

Reset zoom on right click :P

Thanks for sharing you're work.
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 04:23:07 pm »
This is absolutely awesome.  :clap: The only improvement I would suggest is to use the PCB "rev" data if non-blank for the name.  I've been renaming ibom.html to e.g. RevA.html.  Like, take the rev string and remove blanks, or turn blanks into _.  (So, "1.0" could be normalized to ibom_rev_1_0.html, but the exact scheme isn't important as long as they can coexist without risking clobbering one another.)  It also gives a nice way to quickly pull up different revs side by side without having to git checkout tags in different folders, which is rather tedious.

I upload the html file to google drive and access it from my 12" Samsung Android tablet on my bench (which I normally use to access datasheets), works fantastically!  I love that it can show me the parts and pick a board side.  The tablet standing vertically has a MUCH smaller footprint on my bench than a printed page or laptop!

Actually one additional feature would be the ability to mark individual components as having been placed... not sure how that would be done in the UI (like maybe change color on click/tap), but I find if I have say 35x 100Ω resistors it's easy to lose track of which one I'm at.  Or I counted 35 before, and now I have one left over... did I miss one or count 36?  If so which one is missing?  When using paper I'd cross each one out as it's populated.  (Or every few.)  Edit: HTML strikeout!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:56:48 pm by bson »

The following users thanked this post: Warhawk

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 04:46:07 pm »
Great work!!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 02:28:06 am »
This is absolutely awesome.  :clap: The only improvement I would suggest is to use the PCB "rev" data if non-blank for the name.  I've been renaming ibom.html to e.g. RevA.html.  Like, take the rev string and remove blanks, or turn blanks into _.  (So, "1.0" could be normalized to ibom_rev_1_0.html, but the exact scheme isn't important as long as they can coexist without risking clobbering one another.)  It also gives a nice way to quickly pull up different revs side by side without having to git checkout tags in different folders, which is rather tedious.

This functionality was already added. You can download latest from github or wait for v2.1 release.

Actually one additional feature would be the ability to mark individual components as having been placed... not sure how that would be done in the UI (like maybe change color on click/tap), but I find if I have say 35x 100Ω resistors it's easy to lose track of which one I'm at.  Or I counted 35 before, and now I have one left over... did I miss one or count 36?  If so which one is missing?  When using paper I'd cross each one out as it's populated.  (Or every few.)  Edit: HTML strikeout!

Also, in the works for v2.1 (not implemented yet).

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 01:05:02 am »
Looks great!

One thing I haven't figured out is the dialog has an Extra Fields tab, but I can't find a way to add any extra fields?  It doesn't appear to discover them automatically if present, either.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 01:13:12 am »
bson
You need to generate either xml or netlist file from eeschema. Plugin does not read .sch files directly, it needs that intermediary format to get extra field info.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf