Author Topic: Free tool for KiCad library generation  (Read 4414 times)

Offline ShamilTopic starter

Free tool for KiCad library generation
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:38:24 pm »
Let me present the result of almost one year work: project QEDA.

http://qeda.org/

Briefly this is the a tool for easy creating libraries of electronic components for KiCad EDA.

Documentation section is under construction yet, but the utility itself is quite ready for using.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

The following users thanked this post: PCB.Wiz

Offline filssavi

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Free tool for KiCad library generation
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:56:08 am »
As soon as i get home i'm going to give it a try since sane library management is the only thing that keeps me from using kicad as my main pcb suite

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 10:15:32 pm »
Let me present the result of almost one year work: project QEDA.

http://qeda.org/

Briefly this is the a tool for easy creating libraries of electronic components for KiCad EDA.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
This looks great, have you posted info at the Kicad forum too ?

Can you give an example of how to define a part with (eg) user-defined courtyard, and with user-defined differing PAD Stacks on F.Paste and F.Mask ?
The convention to user-define is usually if nothing is specified, then use the copper as master, but if the user defines something on F.Mask, that replaces the F.Cu information etc

Offline ShamilTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:23:04 am »
Thank you for your feedback.

This looks great, have you posted info at the Kicad forum too ?
Done it just now but there is premoderation filter there.

Can you give an example of how to define a part with (eg) user-defined courtyard, and with user-defined differing PAD Stacks on F.Paste and F.Mask ?
The convention to user-define is usually if nothing is specified, then use the copper as master, but if the user defines something on F.Mask, that replaces the F.Cu information etc
Courtyard outline can not be customized at the moment but there is possibility to use subset of SVG-path, which is implemented for silkscreen layer.

For example, see https://github.com/qeda/library/blob/master/amass/xt60pb.yaml (housing.silkscreen field). It will produce pattern provided in attachment.

Regarding user-defined pad stacks, now only standard pad stacks are supported (SMD top&bottom and through-hole), mask is controlled globally for overall library with pattern.clearance.padToMask configuation parameter.

But I am collecting various use cases in order to add them to my tool in future. So if we will find appropriate way to define these parameters, they are to be added in further releases.

Offline filssavi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 02:22:35 pm »
More than a features request mine is a documentation request, I think that it would be nice to havea list of all the various comando line options that can be understood by the cli interfacce, since i'm thinking about putting together a simple autocompletion script (for Ubuntu and other debian derivates, not shure if it'll work on Fedora) that i can contributo back

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 11:15:16 am »
Nice! thanks for sharing Free tool for KiCad library generation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf