Author Topic: How to define these board edge holes.  (Read 4529 times)

Offline David ChamberlainTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How to define these board edge holes.
« on: April 23, 2018, 07:33:43 am »
I'm working on a project where I would like to replicate the mounting like on this HopeRF module. Kind of a general design question but as I'm using KiCad I thought I would ask here. I don't even know what you call this.

The idea is that the user can solder standard 2.54mm pitch pins to allow for through-hole breadboard applications OR design a PCB with SMD footprints and solder it down using the half round plated edge holes.

I tried just adding a second row of holes to the edge, with the idea that when the board is panelized I can specify a v grove between them?

So my real question is what's the best way to design / specify this kind of thing for manufacture?

This is my attempt. It renders badly the way I'm doing it as well.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: How to define these board edge holes.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:29:07 am »
They are called castellated vias. And you need to talk to your board manufacturer about this. Everyone has different requirements and not all of them will even try to make your boards. Also be prepared for a price increase.
Alex

Offline David ChamberlainTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:51:35 am »
Thanks for that. Knowing what they are called is key. The information of now flowing from the google.

So i guess the followup question is has anyone done these in KiCAD and can recomend an approach.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:53:41 am by David Chamberlain »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:51:21 am »
Again, the best option will be talking to your board manufacturer,

To build a castellation the edge needs to be exposed, before the plating pass, meaning atleast some level of routing prior to plating (Its roughly like how a plated slot is made)

This out of order routing is what will generate extra costs,

The other thing is making a clear description of what you want on a mechanical layer, and again in the notes to the fabricator. If your doing something weird, expect them to need guidance

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 01:11:43 pm »
Again, the best option will be talking to your board manufacturer,

To build a castellation the edge needs to be exposed, before the plating pass, meaning atleast some level of routing prior to plating (Its roughly like how a plated slot is made)

This out of order routing is what will generate extra costs,

the plating is inside holes so the routing can be done last just like normal, afaiu the issue is that manufacturers will rather not route
through copper

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 03:15:59 am »
The idea is that the user can solder standard 2.54mm pitch pins to allow for through-hole breadboard applications OR design a PCB with SMD footprints and solder it down using the half round plated edge holes.

I tried just adding a second row of holes to the edge, with the idea that when the board is panelized I can specify a v grove between them?

The idea is good, but you do not want a v Groove - the PCB is usually routed, to neatly cut-away half the hole.
Talk to your PCB supplier.  You may need to agree on some small burr, on the trailing cutter edge.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf