Author Topic: Just gave KiCAD another go after 5 years and wow!  (Read 9866 times)

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: Just gave KiCAD another go after 5 years and wow!
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 04:55:14 pm »
I'm just wondering if KiCAD is really eager to evolve into such an advanced software. If it does, it is not for the hobby users any more. Such complex software needs a lot of time to get used to it. I'm sure this is not the focus and goal the development team after all. If it stays on the current level, it is ok. There is a need for it! All these Makers and Hobby users have the need for such a good software. But the other side of the coin is: It will not be on par with professional software. This is just not possible. If you win professionals you lose hobbyists.  :-//

Rather than wondering and guessing and reading tea leaves, perhaps you should sign up for and lurk on the developers' email listserv. Then you will plainly see what they are doing, how they choose priorities, and how carefully they consider the implications of their design decisions.

Start here: https://launchpad.net/kicad

The following users thanked this post: hammy

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 06:03:38 pm »
This topic started were KiCad will be in 5 years time, so I just gave my few cents to that.
With the 'todo list' they showed a few months back in their presentation, I am extremely sorry to say that I don't really see it going anywhere. 
Hopefully I am wrong.

Yes, you are wrong about everything. You don't even know what a customer is!
Some people on this forum are just to funny.
Guess they just assume every single person on this forum is just their to ruin there lives and don't even think about somebodies background.
Like I said before, I don't get worked up responses, I was just trying to give my few cents and my experience working with all kinds of companies (and customers)

Besides, one thing I do know, is that I don't judge people and attack them on a person level (like saying what they don't know etc).

So, do enjoy your angry moods, I am going to enjoy the rainy weather.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 06:13:06 pm »
There is a class of "professional users" who always complain about KiCad, but they are willing to pay $$ for the commercial offering, but don't donate a cent to Kicad.

It is not that easy and not just black and white. A professional user is always watching the price-perfomance.
If I donate money to KiCAD I cannot pretend something. I just can wait and hope the software-development is going in a specific direction. On the other hand, if I buy some software I can evaluate before, I'm quite sure what I get.

At the end just one thing is important - idependent from the software: Can I get the job done?
If KiCAD is sufficient I can use it. If not, I can donate and hope for the best, but it does not solve a today requirement.

Participate and code myself is not an option. I'm not a programmer and I don't want to be one without talent in this field. So there is just one way for me. Donate and wait. If it is someday on a par with the software I use today I can consider a switch. If not I'm not going to run it in parallel, because I want to create my parts and footprints just once. Maintaining one part library is enough work. No need to to this twice and spent unpaid time for this.

Don't get it wrong, KiCAD is nice, it is an amazing software, opensource and free.  Every GUI is different and this is not the important factor for software-evaluation. For professional usage it is the time you spent. Time during layout, time during drc-setup, time during parts-creation and library management. How many advanced feature (delay and phase tuning, T-branch, fly-by) are included? How good is "the flow"? This "flow" is the most important thing. A good "flow" keeps you happy during layout and design.  ;D

I'm just wondering if KiCAD is really eager to evolve into such an advanced software. If it does, it is not for the hobby users any more. Such complex software needs a lot of time to get used to it. I'm sure this is not the focus and goal the development team after all. If it stays on the current level, it is ok. There is a need for it! All these Makers and Hobby users have the need for such a good software. But the other side of the coin is: It will not be on par with professional software. This is just not possible. If you win professionals you lose hobbyists.  :-//

Cheers
hammy
Interesting thoughts.

I only don't see why there need to be such a difference between professional software and software for hobbyist?
The difference is mostly in the functionality, ease of use and reliability.
There are plenty of programs out there that are fine for either professionals as for hobbyists.
In some cases the user can even use some sort of presets, so they don't get all the highly advanced confusing extra options.

I think one of the other problems is that a lot of people are even willing to donate a nice amount to KiCad.
However, they are (like me) hesitating because they don't see development going into the right direction.
In my opinion that's a bit of a missed change, because there is a HUGE gap in prices with different EDAs which now totally empty like a remote dessert.
As a small company, contractor or freelancer something like Altium is simply way to expensive, which is frustrating because a lot of times you do need all the advanced functionality or amount of parts/pins.
I have also seen that at least 70% of the smaller companies I worked for, visited or am still working with have some kind of 'copied version' instead.

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 07:41:40 pm »
I don't understand the acrimony.  Someone posted saying after 5 years away  it meets now their needs and may be worth a second look for some.  Use it, don't use it.  Geez........

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, fourtytwo42

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf