Author Topic: KiCad gripes list - post gripes here  (Read 42026 times)

Offline s8548a

• Regular Contributor
Re: KiCad gripes list - post gripes here
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2016, 03:17:45 pm »

I asked on various forums and got no reply. So I quit as I had a job to do.

https://forum.kicad.info/

Did you tried here ?

KiCad has developed a lot these days...the nightly builds are awesome.

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2016, 04:59:00 pm »
You are in the old (obsolete) default canvas.
Switch to OpenGL, F11 or select it from the view menu.

The following users thanked this post: jesuscf

Online PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2016, 02:20:19 am »
No tool to drag and drop a line, introducing a corner ?
Kicad can add a corner to a selected line in OpenGL view.
You can then mouse select and drag corners to mitre as needed, or enter the XY exactly.

Kicad has no direct 'mitre a corner' command, and has polylines only for Fill areas.
Other drawing entities like edge cuts, are line segments only.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2016, 08:05:17 pm »
I tried to get it to build on both OS X and Win10, to no avail.  I wanted to add a component wizard that lets me easily create any JEDEC compliant pad-based IC part by simply entering a few standard measurements from the data sheet, like pad width.  Basically, create from eeschema the component including pins, the footprint, and a 3D model - and make it project specific.  For each part.  Eventually, if feasible, maybe save the parameters for it in the schema file and auto-generate everything actually missing when the project is loaded.  At some point permit multiple alternative footprint and pinouts, remembering old ones as they're change (to permit side-by-side comparison).  This would greatly simplify many things including keeping designs in git, moving between Windows and Unix like systems, reduce footprint errors, eliminate the need to have predefined libraries for every freaking package variation (which isn't feasible, or would be utterly humongous), make it quick and easy to copy-and-paste components and parts since all that's needed is the instantiation vector.  Not only that, but I could paste the vector in a post here, you could grab it and simply stick it in your project; straightforward and simple if the exchange format is something like base64 encoded json.

Oh, and another simple thing I wanted to add is when creating a new project it auto creates a .gitignore for *.bak, *~, etc.

And, rethink the cache to break out truly reproducible, cached data from project-local copies, then .gitignore the actual cache while managing the project-local copies.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:11:20 pm by bson »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf