Author Topic: Kicad printing cuts off  (Read 11626 times)

Offline Red SquirrelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Kicad printing cuts off
« on: June 11, 2016, 10:21:41 pm »
Is there a way to fix this?  When I print in Kicad, it cuts off a big chunk of the page.  Ex:

Running Linux Mint 17.1, and Kicad version 4.02.

Offline Neverther

• Regular Contributor
Re: Kicad printing cuts off
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 07:29:30 am »
Does the print preview look the same?
Or if you export pdf first?

Is that paper even A4?
If that paper is A4, the aspect ratio should be correct. But it does not look so?

Preview and pdf look fine with 4.0.2 on Archlinux.
Even changing the page settings to A5/landscape/portait in the print window scaled the schematic page to fit the sheet. Just set it to correct paper?

Offline SimonR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 12:55:55 pm »
That clearly isn't A4 it looks too square.
The USA doesn't use A4. And I assume Canada as well

So the question is does Kicad default to A4 page size, in which cas that's likely to be the problem

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 05:09:20 pm »
In print preview it looks fine, and yeah that's A4, the paper under it with the words test in the corners I printed from Libre Office where I set the margins to minimum and put the word in each corner and it printed fine. 

I did not think of exporting to PDF first though.  I did that which worked fine, then printed the PDF and it came out fine.   Only thing I find weird, and this is probably a Linux issue, but it only prints one page at a time.  Printer spools up, one page comes out, spools down, then spools up etc.   I don't do a lot of printing thankfully, otherwise it could take ages to print anything with like 10 pages.

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 05:25:30 pm »
In print preview it looks fine, and yeah that's A4, the paper under it with the words test in the corners I printed from Libre Office where I set the margins to minimum and put the word in each corner and it printed fine. 

That paper looks nothing like A4... what does it measure? A4 should be 210 x 297mm i.e. it should be almost half as much longer as it is wide.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 09:25:41 pm »
Maybe it's just the angle of the camera that makes it look that way. Paper measures about 278mm x 216mm which is oddly different than what you said though... is "letter" the same as A4?  This is letter.    You might be thinking about legal?  That tends to be longer.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 09:30:50 pm »
Printer setting: Fit To Page ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 11:43:48 pm »
Yeah it was set that way, and print preview looked fine.   But turns out A4 and letter is NOT the same - I always figured it was so just picked that as it was default.  I picked Letter and now it comes out ok.  Saves me from printing to PDF first.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 06:32:12 am »
But turns out A4 and letter is NOT the same - I always figured it was so just picked that as it was default.

PC LOAD LETTER

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 06:53:12 am »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 11:45:55 am »
So at can say again...

Fucking imperial systems! Get international ones!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 08:31:09 pm »
But turns out A4 and letter is NOT the same - I always figured it was so just picked that as it was default.

PC LOAD LETTER

My first time messing with LCD displays, that was the first thing I made it say.  Better than Hello world.  :P

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 03:41:04 am »

My laserjet still says it from time to time just to remind me that HP firmware engineers have a sense of humour.

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 04:01:15 am »
Yeah it was set that way, and print preview looked fine.   But turns out A4 and letter is NOT the same - I always figured it was so just picked that as it was default.  I picked Letter and now it comes out ok.  Saves me from printing to PDF first.

Red Squirrel, as you noticed A4 and letter are totally different size. Basically, A4 does not exist in North America (but seem to be the standard everywhere else in the world).

Letter is 8.5" x 11"

Legal is 8.5" x 14"

;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 10:06:16 pm »
So it seems it never remembers the setting and always defaults back to A4.  Is there a way to fix this?

Also it prints 1 page at a time instead of everything at once, is there a way to fix that also?  It takes like 3 minutes to print 3 pages.  Printer spools up, warms up, 1 page comes out, it spools down.  Printer spools up, 1 page comes out... etc.   In any other program it prints all at once.   I suppose I can live with that since I don't print that much, it's more annoying than anything.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 10:57:34 pm »
So it seems it never remembers the setting and always defaults back to A4.  Is there a way to fix this?

File -> Page options?

Also it prints 1 page at a time instead of everything at once, is there a way to fix that also?
Laser printers are fast for text because they're able to handle raw text and apply fonts themselves, making for lightweight documents. I presume a schematic can't be rendered into any primitives the printer can support, and as such it has to be made into a full page bitmap. That's heavy and the particular printer doesn't have enough memory to handle more than one page at once.

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 12:51:51 pm »
Laser printers are fast for text because they're able to handle raw text and apply fonts themselves, making for lightweight documents. I presume a schematic can't be rendered into any primitives the printer can support, and as such it has to be made into a full page bitmap. That's heavy and the particular printer doesn't have enough memory to handle more than one page at once.

Lolwut? I don't see why a Laser driver would handle text differently from a inkjet. I can print schematics on a laser printer without lag.
Because "Matth" was already taken.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 06:14:17 pm »
A laser printer needs to buffer the entire page in its own memory before it can start printing, the print is an uninterruptible process. An inkjet doesn't need to, it can receive the data piece by piece while it's printing and stop for any needed amount of time during the print if it has to wait for data.

The following users thanked this post: Watth

Offline Watth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 07:20:33 pm »
Oh I see. That makes sense.
But as for the processing time, in my humble experience, it didn't seem to exceed the warm-up time.
Because "Matth" was already taken.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 07:26:59 pm »
I've had the same experience with KiCAD, it seems to sometimes render the schematics in some weird form that printers/drivers can't handle well. Even when trying to save it as a PDF instead of printing straight from KiCAD, then optimizing said PDF so that it was only about 100kB and printing that it would still take several minutes to print a page.

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 09:52:39 am »
I agree. Paper size is not A4. You can go with PDF.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf