Author Topic: KiCad with a simulator  (Read 3308 times)

Offline nsrmagazinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
KiCad with a simulator
« on: January 26, 2019, 10:01:41 am »
Hi guys!
I like KiCad, its very useful and very well made(not for commercial purposes). But its a pain to draw my circuits twice, is there any way to export my circuits from KiCad and add them to a simulator or add a simulator to KiCad?
Hi all!
If you like the post, please press "thanks".

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Re: KiCad with a simulator
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:17:22 am »
There is an ongoing effort to integrate Spice into KiCad, which started probably more than 2 years ago.
But it is still not finished enough to be released in the official version.
If you install a development version (nigtly builds) of KiCad then it is probably compiled with Spice support enabled.

One of the problems with Spice though are encrypted models for components. That does not fit well with an open source project.
But it should at least be possible to export a Spice netlist from KiCad that can be used for simulation in another program.

You will also get better response from more knowledgeable people if you ask questions about KiCad on the KiCad forum:
https://forum.kicad.info/search?q=spice

May I ask why you think that KiCad is "not for commercial purposes"?
In the "made with KiCad" section on:
http://kicad-pcb.org/made-with-kicad/
You can see examples of pretty complex commercial projects such as the Olimexino boards which are designed in KiCad.
KiCad is also gaining traction with companies which only occasionaly design a PCB and this makes it hard to justify 4 digit figures or montly subsriptions for a PCB package. There is also a mighty amount of annoyance because of the cloud based folly where your own proprieatary designs are hosted on the website of some un trusted 3-rd party.

There are also no limitations to the designs you make with KiCad. You can keep the design all to yourself.
A possible exception to the library symbols in KiCad, but the consensus seems to be that there is no imitation there either:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/default-libraries-gpl-licencing-vs-proprietary-designs/140/27/

This link is more clear:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-library-licensing/7856/
However, use of the library data in your projects does not (by itself) result in the design or any files generated from your design being covered by the CC-BY-SA 4.0 License. You are free to use the library data in your own projects without the obligation to share your project files under this or any other license agreement.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:54:31 am by Doctorandus_P »

Offline nsrmagazinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 11:40:55 am »
By not commercial product I meant KiCad is good, unlike the other products that are only made to sell.

I will check if its possible to export the circuits to Orcad. I am looking for a better option than OrCad because its getting worst with every next release, but I want something that will have enough components inside for simulation and be supported by snapeda.com.
Hi all!
If you like the post, please press "thanks".

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 04:46:53 pm »
Hi guys!
I like KiCad, its very useful and very well made(not for commercial purposes). But its a pain to draw my circuits twice, is there any way to export my circuits from KiCad and add them to a simulator or add a simulator to KiCad?

Work to integrate ngspice into Kicad is ongoing. Nightly builds should already have that support enabled. Some of the official libraries have links to Spice models.

That said, most engineers just say "screw it" and draw the schematic twice, once for the simulator (like many people, I use LTSpice, it's free and it works well) and once for the layout. There are a lot of reasons for this, but primarily it's because things that you need for the layout aren't needed/aren't supported by the simulator. The schematic being simulated is generally a subset of the entire product design.

Offline pointhi

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 12:27:13 pm »
What are you talking about?

* KiCad 5 includes ngspice by default (Tools -> Simulator)
* the official libraries does NOT contain any spice models. There is the pspice lib which gives some basic stuff, but all other libraries do not have any spice stuff at the moment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf