Author Topic: How to set adding symbol fields defaultly?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline INBEOMTopic starter

How to set adding symbol fields defaultly?
« on: December 20, 2019, 08:33:01 am »
Dear. everyone.

This topic is my first in forum.

i want to set variety fields in symbol data defaultly.

For example, Price, maker, size.....Etc.

How to set adding symbol fields defaultly?

I dont want to set whenever projects.

Offline poeschlr

• Regular Contributor
  • Head of KiCad library; Writer of tutorials
Re: How to set adding symbol fields defaultly?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:06:14 am »
Your question can be read in different ways. Everything below is valid for version 5.1.x

If you want to have the fields pre filled before placing the symbol, then simply add these fields to your symbols in your personal library. See section "Adding user fields for better BOM output" of https://forum.kicad.info/t/tutorial-how-to-make-a-symbol/13336/3

---

If you just want the fields available in the schematic to be filled at schematic entry time then use tools -> edit symbol fields. There is a add symbol button found under the list of fields. You can even fill this new field in the spreadsheet like entry section of this tool.

Offline pierreraymondrondelle

• Contributor
Re: How to set adding symbol fields defaultly?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 01:59:30 pm »
Hi,
In addition to the original post, there are other needs to work on a group of parts, in particular adding and modifying fields for a group of symbols.
- In eeschema, managing fields can partly be done with "Edit Symbol Fields" but existing fields can neither be removed nor edited; e.g. errors can't be corrected.
- When visibility needs to grouply be toggled on or off: for example, footprints are appearing per default on the sheet. They are usually not desired and the visibility option needs to be toggled separately for each component.

- On top of that, working on a library would also be useful. Let assume that symbol pins are judged too long for the user's application. Reducing manually of 1.27mm all the pins of a bunch of symbols is an exhausting task. Automating the task is a real plus.

- Extending the question to footprints: Let assume that single sided PCBs are nominal for the production of simple boards. PTH are not needed, Reducing their dia is as painful as reducing pin length on symbols.

Until now, I did this for some componente but I quickly gave up for a complete board. As far as I know, there aren't any option nor plugin dealing with these specific needs.
Regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf