Author Topic: 1U rackmount chassis side extrusion source?  (Read 6959 times)

Offline forrestcTopic starter

• Supporter
1U rackmount chassis side extrusion source?
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:39:18 am »
There are several manufacturers out there which make rackmount enclosures which use a extrusion down both sides to hold the entire case together.   The top, bottom, front and rear of the case are standard sheet metal pieces.   Growing the case in any dimension (other than thickness which is set by the extrusion) is just a matter of cutting the extrusion and the sheet metal to the correct length - something that anyone with a way to cut metal in a precision manner can do.  No bending necessary.

For a product I'm developing I'd love to be able to use this style of enclosure manufacturing to both save shipping costs (since the extrusions and other panels can be shipped flat), and also to provide flexibility in customization, since getting flat sheets of metal cut to a drawing (including holes) is a lot easier than finding a manufacturer who can build rackmount enclosures.   I'd like to be able to buy just the extrusions and source my own 'flat stock'.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a source for these extrusions which will sell them to me without the entire enclosure to go with (with one exception, but they were really pricey) - which eliminates a lot of the benefit of the extrusion as a simple construction material which I can then add my own flat stock to.

Does anyone have an idea where to source these extrusions in a relatively high volume  - I'd expect to use something on the order of 150 linear feet (~45 linear meters) of extrusion per month if things go like I would expect them to.

Some sample pictures/diagrams to better show what I'm talking about:

http://www.protocase.com/images/products/images/ext_alum_image_14.jpg

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/Handbuecher_Datenblaetter/PDFs/Manual-2008.pdf

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: 1U rackmount chassis side extrusion source?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:52:50 pm »
What, like this?

http://cpc.farnell.com/penn-elcom/10145-20/frame-extrusion-1-45-module/dp/EN55948

It's available in 1U and 2U height. I've used it for Amp enclosures using flat top and bottom plates. It takes self tapping screws in the ends and from above/below.

Here's the 2U one to give you a better idea of the profile:

http://cpc.farnell.com/penn-elcom/10210-20/frame-extrusion-2-10-module/dp/EN55958

You don't have your country flag set, but hopefully you can find a Penn-Elcom distributor.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline krish2487

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:16:45 pm »
If you are willing to work a little, then I d suggest look for an aluminium extrusion supplier for the side pieces.
You get them in a variety of shapes and heights.

If you are okay with a plain look, then look for "U channel extrusions" or if you want something fancy then look for "moulding extrusions".
They are fairly common in modular furniture, so sourcing them shouldn't be much of a problem.
Maybe thats where you should look, at a furniture maker sources and not directly at enclosures or such. Just a thought.

Of course then remains the issue of the top and bottom plates. You can either choose MS or go with aluminium depending on your requirements.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:18:27 pm by krish2487 »
If god made us in his image,
and we are this stupid
then....

Offline TassiloH

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 12:10:20 am »
A German supplier, probably they will do export, but no english website  :-// :

A 42mm extrusion (close enough to 1U = 44.15mm, anyway nice to have a mm room for guiderails etc.):
http://www.gie-tec.de/webshop/gehaeuse--profile/gehaeuse-profile-und-zubehoer/seitenteilprofile/seitenteilprofil-1-1000mm.php
(available in 3m long pieces, too).

They also have a 2U 88.3mm extrusion which I am using:
http://www.gie-tec.de/webshop/gehaeuse--profile/gehaeuse-profile-und-zubehoer/seitenteilprofile/seitenteilprofil-4-1000mm.php
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:12:00 am by TassiloH »

The following users thanked this post: dekra54

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 12:32:33 am »
Hi

I suspect that a lot of what you see is a custom extrusion. They are surprisingly cheap to tool up. You order a few thousand meters of extrusion and the tooling gets lost in the roundoff error.

Bob

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 05:49:22 am »
What, like this?

http://cpc.farnell.com/penn-elcom/10145-20/frame-extrusion-1-45-module/dp/EN55948

It's available in 1U and 2U height. I've used it for Amp enclosures using flat top and bottom plates. It takes self tapping screws in the ends and from above/below.

Here's the 2U one to give you a better idea of the profile:

http://cpc.farnell.com/penn-elcom/10210-20/frame-extrusion-2-10-module/dp/EN55958

You don't have your country flag set, but hopefully you can find a Penn-Elcom distributor.

Thanks for the note on the country flag, I didn't realize it wasn't set (hopefully fixed now).

In the US these seem hard to find.   Farnell seems to want a fortune to ship them as well....

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 05:51:54 am »
Hi

I suspect that a lot of what you see is a custom extrusion. They are surprisingly cheap to tool up. You order a few thousand meters of extrusion and the tooling gets lost in the roundoff error.

Bob

I figure at some point that's the way we'll be going.  These ARE amazingly cheap... the minimum order is a bit of an issue for me initially for r&d purposes.  But it's amazing how little a few thousand meters of extrusion (or more accurately 1 metric ton of extrusion) costs.   

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 06:51:06 am »
Isn't really an answer to OP's question, but a good source for inexpensive aluminum enclosures I found was Par Metal. They ship the enclosures broken down flat, and have all sorts of sizes and surface finishes. John will also machine the pieces to your spec.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 03:16:18 pm »
Hi

Bob

I figure at some point that's the way we'll be going.  These ARE amazingly cheap... the minimum order is a bit of an issue for me initially for r&d purposes.  But it's amazing how little a few thousand meters of extrusion (or more accurately 1 metric ton of extrusion) costs.

Hi

Hint: It's well worth it to get a "tooling sample" before they ship you the entire ton off of your first pass drawing. On a per pound basis it's crazy expensive compared to the rest of the lot. It's way cheaper than an "aw shucks" when the entire batch turns up with a goof in it. Getting past that part of it while you still are in the development stage is a really good idea. It also lets you work out the cutting and hole tapping part of the process ahead of production.

Bob

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 10:13:14 am »
Isn't really an answer to OP's question, but a good source for inexpensive aluminum enclosures I found was Par Metal. They ship the enclosures broken down flat, and have all sorts of sizes and surface finishes. John will also machine the pieces to your spec.

Wow.  You actually answered my question better than people who actually responded to my question.     :clap: YAY!!!

Domestic.  Decent Price.  Shipped Flat.   I've been looking for this forever, yet no luck.  Now it's just see if this works for my application... So they're getting a call first thing Monday morning to get (buy) a sample and some more details.

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 07:52:01 pm »

Wow.  You actually answered my question better than people who actually responded to my question.     :clap: YAY!!!

Domestic.  Decent Price.  Shipped Flat.   I've been looking for this forever, yet no luck.  Now it's just see if this works for my application... So they're getting a call first thing Monday morning to get (buy) a sample and some more details.

+1 for Par-metal. John is a great guy.  :-+
He also does torodial transformers for great prices if you need em....
http://www.antekinc.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf