http://opalkelly.com/

Author Topic: 3d printer forum (subforum) wanted?  (Read 670 times)

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
3d printer forum (subforum) wanted?
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:29:27 PM »
it feels like 3d printers are going to be relevant to the home and not just light industrial manuf.

should there be a 3d printing area on eevblog?  could be a subforum of this forum, perhaps.

I just bought my first 3d printer (over a month ago) and I have not found a good place to go to get user's experiences on how to deal with this kind of tool and setup and use.  they are a 'thing' in themselves, in a way.

anyone else want to see a subforum of some kind for 3d printing (vendor neutral, but any thing can be discussed).

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: 3d printer forum (subforum) wanted?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
I'm assuming there are ton of 3D printer forums already?

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 12:08:28 AM »
I have not found the 'eevblog of 3d printers' yet, so to speak ;)

what I'm seeing is lots of forums by vendors, supporting their machines and also allowing others to chat, as well.  but I'm not seeing a general site that brings people there for the expertise, idea-sharing and neutrality that I'm looking for.  we have a very wide-range of skills for people who post to this site; was thinking it could be a good meeting place for this topic, too.

maybe 2017 will be the 'year of the very affordable 3d printer'.  the one I bought was less than $300 and its outperforming my expectations.  as I show samples to people at work, they are starting to see the value in having one of these machines at home.

so, I think the topic will really take off over the next year.  cost and quality have finally gotton to the point where its a 'why should I NOT buy one', now ;)

anyway, if there is a de-facto place to go to discuss this tech, I'd like to know what the top sites would be.  there's so much to discuss and learn and its still very DIY oriented, and very repair/tuning/hacking oriented, too.

Online sokoloff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 12:23:38 AM »

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 01:29:57 AM »

maybe 2017 will be the 'year of the very affordable 3d printer'.  the one I bought was less than $300 and its outperforming my expectations.  as I show samples to people at work, they are starting to see the value in having one of these machines at home.

So which one was that? Thanks!

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 01:45:34 AM »
if something can select, how cant it be intelligent? if something is intelligent, how cant it exist?

Offline 691175002

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 03:09:07 AM »
Subreddits are more of a show and tell than question and answer format, the way topics slide off the page makes it difficult to maintain ongoing conversations (plus /r/3dprinting is pretty low traffic all considered).

The official reprap forum is maybe the best we have, but it is horribly designed.  There has got to be at least 60 subforums and there is no way to view unread posts.  It is also extremely dead with the majority of the subforums showing only a couple new threads year to date.  I've also noticed that the conversation topics are weirdly slanted towards hypothetical printer technologies and builds, its not really suitable for beginners.

That being said, I don't think EEVBlog is really the place for a discrete 3d printing forum.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 03:10:58 AM by 691175002 »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 04:58:29 AM »
That being said, I don't think EEVBlog is really the place for a discrete 3d printing forum.
there is hope that OSHW 3d printer will open a way to ee related machine at cheap such as pcb making, drilling, pasting and PnP. but (1) maybe currently available machines are too expensive for the taste/application/hobby use (2) too much resistance from the community arguing you should go to fab house giving you much cheaper and quality option. so its still hasnt make its way into here until probably a proof of concept is laid out. until then...
if something can select, how cant it be intelligent? if something is intelligent, how cant it exist?

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
the reason I see relevancy here is that many of us are home hobbiests who like to build things.

pcb's need cases.

laser cutters and cnc's are great, but not usually for home use.

3d printers are changing things.  you can now own one for the cost of a weekend out, give or take..

btw, the one I bought is this one, for those that asked:

https://www.amazon.com/YKS-Desktop-Printer-Structure-Accuracy/dp/B0143WTZJM

its much smaller than it looks; about 12" tall.  its not a monster like the reprap DIY's, that seems to consume a whole desk or table and scare children and small animals ;)  this one doesn't have beams and wires and 'stuff' hanging all over the place.  the v-groove wheels and alum stock for the rails kind of sold me, along with its simple design.  not super fast, but I usually start a job before bed and when I wake up, its usually done.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 05:25:18 PM »
its much smaller than it looks; about 12" tall.  its not a monster like the reprap DIY's, that seems to consume a whole desk or table and scare children and small animals ;)
ironically, i have a hard time keeping my 20cm x 20cm x 15cm print area prusa based 3d printer away from children and small animals. in the end i built airtight enclosure for it measures somewhere 2' x 2' x 2'. i also did build pcb making and drill based on the reprap design that can put in more than 20cm x 20cm pcb size. the children love it. btw you can get prusa build (bigger print area, higher components and steppers motor count) at the same cost as your YKS CR-7

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf