Author Topic: Automatic Solder Joint Validation  (Read 1224 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Automatic Solder Joint Validation
« on: August 14, 2018, 02:20:33 pm »
It's a thing now apparently:
http://info.okinternational.com/metcal-connection-validation

Sounds just like having some bastard standing over your shoulder watching you solder and nagging on each joint  >:(

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
Re: Automatic Solder Joint Validation
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 06:48:16 pm »
Given how bad some solder joints I have seen are - good.

I got called to production where the manager was telling me the transformer primary (wire about 12 A.W.G)would not solder to the power plane on the PCB. Turned out they were using the smallest bit on the iron they had - cos that was what was fitted when the operator picked up the iron. Neither she nor her manager had spotted this. Put in the largest bit and it soldered with no problem. I hate to think how many of those have gone out with poor / dry joints.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Automatic Solder Joint Validation
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 08:12:05 pm »
Same idea in the welding industry. Measure current and voltage, integrate and you'll know how much heat energy was in the weld. This was for an automated butt-joint welder.

This wouldn't know the amount of solder, flux adhesion etc. it only can guess the thermal mass of the connection.
It will only prevent factory workers who are too quick and do not use enough heat, which we all see in stuff from china where through-hole parts are barely soldered in.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf