Author Topic: Basic software for keeping track of component inventory levels?  (Read 18580 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Basic software for keeping track of component inventory levels?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 08:45:06 pm »
You can make your own database easily using MariaDB/mysql or even better, postgresql and in the long run that is likely to be the most scale-able option too.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline cibolo

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 05:08:06 pm »
I found partkeepr to be pretty bad by default. . . . I spent about 2 days modifying forms and fields and making it useable for what I need for parts management.
Did those changes get merged with the partkeepr code?  If not, would you share them so they could be?

Thanks,
John Griessen

Offline jastreb

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 08:31:46 am »
Hey everyone, PartsBox founder here.

Just so that you know, I try to read these discussions regularly to see what features are needed. In particular, while "parts on order" isn't there yet, it definitely will be. I've recently added a Project/BOM pricing subsystem, which was a huge amount of work, but should work much better than anything spreadsheet-based, especially if you want to consider multiple price breaks and if you have offers in multiple currencies.

As for part alternates (the ability to include multiple part choices as a BOM line item), it's something that I also have on my TODO list. It isn't easy to design, so I have to think it through carefully — it has to play well with the pricing engine. But it will definitely be there, it's something I need to use myself, too.

best regards,
--Jan
  Founder, PartsBox · https://partsbox.io/ · Twitter: @PartsBoxIO

Unfortunately your pricing options just don't suit people like myself (hobyist). Options that are not available in the standard free offering I really want and the next up is a monthly subscription which is too much for me as I am not a business.

Offline mpi

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 10:00:26 pm »
I've gone with a custom database (LibreOffice Base).

(While setting this up I had a strange feeling of Déjà vu until I realized why -- I did the exact same thing around 1986!)

Eventually this will link to the BOM spreadsheets.

Offline jastreb

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 02:11:21 am »
I've gone with a custom database (LibreOffice Base).

(While setting this up I had a strange feeling of Déjà vu until I realized why -- I did the exact same thing around 1986!)

Eventually this will link to the BOM spreadsheets.

Care to share your database structure? :)

Offline jwr

• Contributor
  • PartsBox.io founder
    • PartsBox
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 04:58:58 pm »
I'll respond to several concerns raised here (as a PartsBox founder):

I know the current paid plans are way too expensive for hobbyists: they only make sense for companies. Regarding features, I would love to be able to offer everything for free, but I do have to make a living. Even as it is now, there are plenty of companies using the free hobbyist/maker plan. If I move even more features from the paid plans to the free plan, I won't be able to sustain PartsBox.

As for EAGLE import, it was left out from the free version because EAGLE is pretty much commercial (and fairly expensive) software at this point.

Regarding cloud-based systems: I know it's a popular sentiment to hate anything that is web-based. But web-based means I can offer two important things: first, software that runs on every OS out there (and PartsBox has users on Mac OS, Linux and Windows), and second, real-time updates which are not appreciated by single hobbyists, but are a crucial feature for teams and companies working with their CMs. You always see an up-to-date version of your data, and if somebody else removes stock, you see it immediately.

As for the website going down, while I have no intention of taking it down, it's a valid concern. This is why there is an easily accessible button in Settings, that lets you download a JSON dump of everything you ever entered into PartsBox, in a machine-readable format, with a single click. Just back up your data every once in a while and you'll be fine.

The comment about using software from companies that are "well established and profitable", hmm, I can only smile (sadly). The reality is that, in general, the bigger the company looks, the sooner the software will disappear. For VC-funded companies it's because either they run out of funding, or because they get acquired (or acqui-hired) and the new owners shut the product down (google for "incredible journey startup" to see what I mean). Even giants like Google shuts things down left and right with little warning. I actually believe that small companies running a profitable business are the most stable ones, and that is exactly what I'm aiming for.

That said, I know that PartsBox isn't necessarily for everyone, fortunately there are other options, too!
Jan Rychter
Founder, PartsBox (https://partsbox.io/ — Keep track of your electronic components)

Offline kuclad

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 06:16:28 am »
The pricing for partsbox is rather bonkers. It's either free or $480+/yr. Either slash the free plan to ~50 distinct parts or ditch it entirely and offer a free trial. Change the current free plan to something in the $30/yr ballpark.

I can't figure out if it is possible to track cost of goods sold for assemblies based on bom purchase history, even in the business plans. I'm guessing no.

If I were to use this I would be looking for an api call for database export functionality so I can add it to my backup automation without having to script a website login.

Offline jwr

• Contributor
  • PartsBox.io founder
    • PartsBox
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 06:10:21 pm »
Well, pricing a product like PartsBox is not easy and it's possible I haven't gotten it right. But that's not for lack of trying: the goal is to have a free hobbyist/maker offering which should have everything a hobbyist/maker needs.

The business plans are (I think) priced quite reasonably compared to any other MRP/ERP software, and seriously, in any kind of electronics-related business spending $39/month on a tool that gets used everyday should not be a problem. That's just slightly more than $1/day.

And I am open to suggestions: if there is something in the commercial plans that is genuinely useful for hobbyists, I'd like to hear about it. There is only one feature I know of: file uploads (so that you can upload your own datasheets and images/photos), and I do intend to find a solution for that, perhaps a $5/month hobbyist plan.
Jan Rychter
Founder, PartsBox (https://partsbox.io/ — Keep track of your electronic components)

Offline jgalak

• Regular Contributor
  • KQ2Z
    • Blog, mostly about learning electronics.
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 09:37:17 pm »
Uploading, or even just linking, my own datasheets would be great - both for custom parts and "standard" parts - not every item found by Octoparts has a datasheet.  Maybe linking could be made available as part of the free package, since it doesn't require more storage space on your part?

In general, I'd really like more ability to edit pre-populated parts of an item.

The other one is the ability to upload BOMs from other software - at least Eagle (since it's available for free and thus popular with hobbyists).   

I don't disagree that $39 per month is totally reasonable for a pro.  But many of us are hobbyists.  Which makes that price just too steep.  Something more along the lines of $30-60 per year would be far more palatable.  That's my opinion, anyway.
Blog, mostly about learning electronics: http://kq2z.com/

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 07:10:38 pm »
Well, pricing a product like PartsBox is not easy and it's possible I haven't gotten it right. But that's not for lack of trying: the goal is to have a free hobbyist/maker offering which should have everything a hobbyist/maker needs.

The business plans are (I think) priced quite reasonably compared to any other MRP/ERP software, and seriously, in any kind of electronics-related business spending $39/month on a tool that gets used everyday should not be a problem. That's just slightly more than $1/day.

And I am open to suggestions: if there is something in the commercial plans that is genuinely useful for hobbyists, I'd like to hear about it. There is only one feature I know of: file uploads (so that you can upload your own datasheets and images/photos), and I do intend to find a solution for that, perhaps a $5/month hobbyist plan.

I signed up for a Partsbox account when it was still in beta. I thought it was a great idea. I don’t have a problem with the cloud storage aspect.

I suppose I fall into a crack in your business model. I’m not a hobbyist — I’m a do-it-for-a-living electronics engineer, working for an employer. But I do side projects and I try to follow best practices for them. That includes a database for the parts I use. And my database (actually a spreadsheet) matches my CAD parts library and uses “house” part numbers. And house part numbers are the one feature that I find useful that’s not in the free version. (I recall requesting that feature when Partsbox was still in beta.)

If I was a full-time single-person shop, the $39/month plan would be a no-brainer. But the side thing is intermittent. There are times when I would use the tool every evening for a month. And then there are times where it won’t be used at all in a month, or more.

If it was $10/month then it would be fine for what I do.

Offline jwr

• Contributor
  • PartsBox.io founder
    • PartsBox
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 06:31:47 pm »
Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I do understand the need, but introducing an "intermediate" plan needs to be done carefully, otherwise all businesses will end up using it, and I will end up being broke :-) That said, I think I'll be able to work something out in the upcoming months.

Also, you can link datasheets (or anything else, for that matter) right now, just use the "Notes" field. It will find links and highlight them, it will also parse and display Markdown. Many people use this to link external data.

As for Autodesk EAGLE, from what I understand, the days of the free version are over and right now it is only free for educators and students?

I know there is a need to correct/expand specs, this is something I'm working on — there will definitely be a way to edit those.
Jan Rychter

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 07:10:50 am »
I built my own from stratch. Was a massive job. But has turned out to be awesome.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline palpurul

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 07:32:21 am »
I use excel spread sheet. It's OK. Never tried anything actually. It works well for personel use, but I don't know how it performs in a business environment.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 07:46:26 am »
Excel is and always will be #1. I use it for such purposes if I need to, just make one spreadsheet for this and keep updating it. In my company we use Oracle ERP but we have thousands of components.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf