Author Topic: Cheap PCBs for really low volume  (Read 26650 times)

Offline Fantasma25Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Cheap PCBs for really low volume
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:01:44 am »
Hello. I'm a beginner at PCB prototyping and I'm working on a small power supply project in eagle that I'd like to build. The problem is that most PCB manufacturers charge pretty much the same for one board as for 50 or 100 boards (between $200 and $300 USD), and since this would my first project, I would only want to make maybe 2 or 3 boards. Do you know some manufacturer that charges like $5 or $10 or maybe $20 USD per board? Or what should I do in this case? :-//

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Cheap PCBs for really low volume
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:03:12 am »
what are your board dimensions? and layers?

there are plenty, seedstudio for one,

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 01:12:16 am »
what are your board dimensions? and layers?

The board is about 1.03 x 2.24 inches and has only 2 layers. All through-hole.

there are plenty, seedstudio for one,

I will take a look at those. Thanks!

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 03:29:06 am »
I have used Laen's PCB order (now OSH Park).  Really cheap, and plenty good enough for my purposes.  Note the lead time info before ordering.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:35:12 am by dfmischler »

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:57:09 am »
I would second Oshpark. It is $5 per sqinch and you get three boards.

It is also a good submission process for your gerber files. They show you what *they* think your board will look like and each layer to help catch problems.

Just be careful since they can only accept a single drill file and quality can vary.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:00:26 pm by Kohanbash »
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 03:52:16 pm »
Cool! Oshpark seems very promising (and cheap). Let's see how it goes. Thanks!  8)

Offline Jon86

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:55:36 pm »
iTead studio is even cheaper, not the best PCB quality but good enough.
Death, taxes and diode losses.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 03:27:05 am »
Elecrow.

They have free color soldermask and service is better than iTead (not to say that iTead's is bad, just Elecrow's better).
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 05:39:56 am »
You could make them.

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 08:36:56 am »
OSHpark/itead/seeedstudio
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:29 am »
If you do try Oshpark try to inform me how it goes
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 06:06:04 pm »
Anybody know a place to get 18x12" double sided boards for less than $5000? Thanks.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 08:27:06 pm »
Ohspark may possibly be able to do it, if so there pricing would be 3 for ~$1000,

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 08:34:16 pm »
Anybody know a place to get 18x12" double sided boards for less than $5000? Thanks.
almost anywhere I would think.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 03:04:35 am »

If you are paying that or more, you really need to find a new manufacturer... They are tearing you a new one at those rates.
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 07:44:56 am »

If you are paying that or more, you really need to find a new manufacturer... They are tearing you a new one at those rates.

I checked iTead and 5 pieces of 18x12" two-layer PCBs costs 310$. So 62$ a piece.
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline justtim

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 04:23:11 pm »
OshPark is really good and inexpensive but the quality can vary.

The attached picture shows the result using the same board files but ordered with two different orders about 24 hours apart. I doubt that any place could do better than the one on the left, but for my project the one on the right isn't something I would want to sell because the customer will be soldering the through-hole devices and I would be a little embarrassed by the plating not being aligned to the holes. Also the wavy outline won't even work for my project where it needs to fit tightly into a cutout of the same shape (the break-away protrusions don't matter). If I really needed to, I could order a panel and cut them out myself since I do have a CNC that could do that, but the misaligned plating is an issue for me.

I'm kinda new to all of this and so I may be a little naive to what can be done and may be way to picky.

I too would like to know of any place that provides the kind of consistent quality as shown by the board on the left, with ENIG, and colors besides green.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:26:05 pm by justtim »

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 05:35:12 pm »
OshPark is really good and inexpensive but the quality can vary.

The attached picture shows the result using the same board files but ordered with two different orders about 24 hours apart. I doubt that any place could do better than the one on the left, but for my project the one on the right isn't something I would want to sell because the customer will be soldering the through-hole devices and I would be a little embarrassed by the plating not being aligned to the holes. Also the wavy outline won't even work for my project where it needs to fit tightly into a cutout of the same shape (the break-away protrusions don't matter). If I really needed to, I could order a panel and cut them out myself since I do have a CNC that could do that, but the misaligned plating is an issue for me.

I'm kinda new to all of this and so I may be a little naive to what can be done and may be way to picky.

I too would like to know of any place that provides the kind of consistent quality as shown by the board on the left, with ENIG, and colors besides green.
Show them that second board pic and there is a good chance they will run it again for you free of charge, I got a board from them once where they screwed up the milling of it and they re-did it super quick.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 06:55:28 pm »
I have used OshPark a couple of times, and this last batch were ok apart from the silkscreen layer. Along the top side it is fine, but the same size text along the bottom is broken in parts.

PS. Maybe I went below their minimum size.........

Ian.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:01:57 pm by IanJ »
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline justtim

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »
Thanks MatCat, I'll give that a try.

I've placed about 80 orders with them (hundreds of boards) and never thought to ask them to redo an order. The fonts were a real problem at first (more like dots than lines on small vector fonts so hardly readable with some orders) but they now have high quality fonts at any size. I did show them these two boards asking about the chances of getting some consistency and was told there's no way to guarantee that, but I didn't think to ask them to redo the ones I considered bad. I'll ask them to do that and get back with the results.

I'm nearing the end of prototyping for several projects and about to go into production, so quality will now be an issue. I really like what Laen has done with OshPark  so would like to stay with him as long as possible and even promote what he does in a very positive way even if I go elsewhere for very large quantities. Most of my boards are small but since I do have a CNC to do the cutting out of multiple boards I can order large panels if need be. But I do want to send out a high quality product with nice copper alignment and easy to read fonts.

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 07:38:25 pm »
I use OSH mainly for prototypes, I wouldn't consider them for production runs, it would cost me too much, I use elecrow for that (they do vscore paneling if you do small boards, makes it REAL cheap).

Offline justtim

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 07:49:49 pm »
Thanks MatCat. Can you post a picture of one of the boards? Is the alignment of the plating like in my first board in the picture? Would you know if they use the LPI silkscreening process? Those fonts (vcc, gnd, and 3-10 numbering) are 0.4064 to 0.6096 vector fonts which are unreadable without the high quality LPI process that all of the fabs that OshPark uses are now using.

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 09:44:09 pm »
Thanks MatCat. Can you post a picture of one of the boards? Is the alignment of the plating like in my first board in the picture? Would you know if they use the LPI silkscreening process? Those fonts (vcc, gnd, and 3-10 numbering) are 0.4064 to 0.6096 vector fonts which are unreadable without the high quality LPI process that all of the fabs that OshPark uses are now using.
Elecrow board or OSH Park?

Offline justtim

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 10:05:17 pm »
I was wanting to see the Elecrow but I just found out the smallest text they do is 32mil. I need down to 16mil like the vcc and gnd on the boards in the pictures.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf