Author Topic: Compare prices on PCB fabrication and assembly  (Read 2681 times)

Offline hekTopic starter

Compare prices on PCB fabrication and assembly
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:45:30 pm »
Hi,

I've been busy coding up a new service for finding the best prices on PCB assembly and manufacturing.

Still beta and I will be adding more manufacturers the coming weeks. But the overall structure is ready for your feedback.

https://www.openhardware.io/quote

Some features:

• Extracts dimensions/layers from uploaded gerbers and render fancy 3D view of your board if you're into that kind of p0rn.
  • Keeps statistics. So we all can keep track of price trends. This will take a day to kick in as the graphs needs at least one day of history.
  • Fast! Keeps daily caches previous similar queries during the day for instant response.

Well, hope you find some quirks to report.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:48:39 pm by hek »

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Compare prices on PCB fabrication and assembly
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:49:27 am »
It's a very interesting looking site. I notice your web site lists "manufacturing partners". What is the nature of your relationship with those companies? Will you be including companies in your price comparison based on special deals with them?

- Bob

Offline hekTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:09:19 am »
Hi Bob,

The openhardware.io site is a community for sharing open source hardware (spun of mysensors.org). When we started a couple of years ago we reached out to a couple of pro open source manufacturers to cooperate on giving something back to the project authors when someone orders their design. As we get a lot of electronics newbies, I also tried to ease the order process. This required a "deep" integration (basically we get "pinged" by the manufacturer when someone orders a design) to keep track of orders and commission.

This has nothing to do with the our new page for pcb price comparison. It is and will contain companies we have no affiliation with.

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:26:36 pm »
Are you familiar with my site, PCBShopper.com? It's a price comparison site too.

- Bob

Offline hekTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 04:54:04 pm »
Yes, it has been an inspiration and you have my deepest respect. I'm realising what you've gone through to pull prices from some of the weird manufacturer sites out there.  |O

The following users thanked this post: nardev

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:23:27 pm »
It's a very interesting looking site. I notice your web site lists "manufacturing partners". What is the nature of your relationship with those companies? Will you be including companies in your price comparison based on special deals with them?

- Bob

Whats your relationship with these people. I note lots of advertising on your website. I'm assumign its paid for?
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:25 pm »
Whats your relationship with these people. I note lots of advertising on your website. I'm assumign its paid for?

Yes, the ads are paid for, as are the "Go to Order Page" buttons in the price comparison list.

But I do not accept payment for adding a company to the price comparison list. Nor do I let advertising influence me to add a company. You can see that there are several companies in the price list that do not have ads (and never have) and there are companies that have been buying ads (some for years) that are not in the price list.

I decide which companies go in the price list based on how well known they are, whether they offer a price structure different from the companies already in the list, and/or whether their factory is in a part of the world that is not yet represented in the list.

- Bob Alexander
  PCBShopper.com

Offline NorthGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:03:38 am »
Well, hope you find some quirks to report.

Since the price of single PCB goes down with the volume dramatically, you could make money by pre-printing PCBs for some most popular projects (in small quantities such as 100-300) then selling them from your Web site. People would get cheaper PCBs and faster shipping. You would get some profit.

Offline hekTopic starter

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:27:01 am »
Since the price of single PCB goes down with the volume dramatically, you could make money by pre-printing PCBs for some most popular projects (in small quantities such as 100-300) then selling them from your Web site. People would get cheaper PCBs and faster shipping. You would get some profit.

Yes, good idea. But we, as an loosely coupled group of individuals running the community on our free time have not possibility to stock or handle fulfillments. This is just a hobby for a few OSH enthusiasts. But I _think_ one of the manufacturers might might be stocking the most popular board. But it's really up to them to make those decisions.

But once again, the new price comparison page isn't really related to the OSH list. The new page will contain more manufacturers and will mainly be used by our community members to find a manufacturer for their small batch prototypes. I also hope we can use it to see some price trends for the more advanced board specifications. The 100x100/2 layer boards already seems to have hit a rock bottom price.  But will more advanced configuration follow this trend?

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 05:09:27 pm »
Yes, it has been an inspiration and you have my deepest respect. I'm realising what you've gone through to pull prices from some of the weird manufacturer sites out there.  |O

How are you getting their prices, anyway? When I do a query on your site, I don't see any web traffic to retrieve the prices.

- Bob

Offline hekTopic starter

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 05:33:11 pm »
It's magic ;)

No, I'm using websockets traffic. As the responses comes asynchronously, it was the easiest route.

Offline noras

• Contributor
  • !
    • PCB star page
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 07:52:46 am »
More than one platform for a choice,
thanks

Offline hekTopic starter

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:17:55 am »
What do you mean by platform?

Offline noras

• Contributor
  • !
    • PCB star page
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 08:26:02 am »
Like this price comparison already has a pcbshopper, but if more than one option for reference, for us better? likes pcb fabrication, the more competitive, the better for our engineers.

The following users thanked this post: hek

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf