Author Topic: Flexible PCBs  (Read 4713 times)

Offline CM800Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Flexible PCBs
« on: May 23, 2016, 04:30:48 pm »
We have a product we are developing for a customer.

In effort to dramatically reduce the cost of assembly due to crimps, we want to move over to flexible PCBs for the signal interfaces (CANOpen, EtherCAT, RS485) and some of the I/O

the main plan is to have them go into FFC connectors and then over to the pins on circular style panel mount connectors.

Does anyone have any information about actually designing flexible PCBs and getting them manufactured?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:53:52 pm by TCWilliamson »

Offline CM800Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flexable PCBs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:09:18 pm »
The correct spelling is flexible.
Good point, fixed. For some reason auto-correct didn't show it up.

The design rule, from electrical perspective, is the same. You need more considerations on mechanical strength though.
Noted, I will have to design in some good slack due to how it will be installed and there will be a bit of a curvy bend as the connector it solders to is at 20 degrees angle

For manufacturing, I use some Chinese fabs, even I live in the US. US fabs are so expensive that the cheapest I know charges $375/panel for 0.5oz copper thickness, 6/6mil tracks.
The Chinese supplier I use offers the same specification, and charges $40 for 0.5oz copper and $60 for 1oz copper. So far, I have made 2 designs and I am satisfied. They only offer small number of small prototypes, not a whole panel, though.

That is good to know, what is your Chinese supplier?

we will start off with a small few prototypes, then upwards of 1000 or so.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
Re: Flexible PCBs
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 03:42:03 am »
For protos, I have used Itead. Cheapest I have found. For small protos, as low as $99.00 for ten with approx. 3 week turnaround.

My domestic quotes for exactly the same thing and exactly the same turnaround were about 10x as much, at best. And up from there.

For large scale, check with w/e manufacturer you currently use. A lot of the big Chinese manfuacturers do flex. I have done large quantities with Gold Phoenix, and they are pretty great, IMO. They usually beat the lead time and everything is painless, except having to call my bank every time I pay them.

Specify the thickness and material of the substrate and of the overlay or coverlay, and the rest is just like a regular pcb.

E.g. 1mil thick polyamide with 1 mil thick coverlay both sides. (= 3 mil thick, total).

The coverlays are fused to the pcb and act as the soldermask. For fine pitch parts, there will not be a "soldermask" between pins/pads.

Not sure what quality you need. The coverlays on my FPC's are not always perfectly aligned. But I have heard this is par for the course, from assembly houses, anyway. (This might also increase your cost for assembly on fine pitch parts and/or decrease your yield post assembly. Flex doesn't stencil paste perfectly, due to distortion, and it can flex in a reflow oven). But I'm sure I could send them back if they didn't work, and so far everything is good on my end. Gold Phoenix has multiple chat support personnel that speak English. You don't need a broker. A very helpful rep has responded within minutes, on any inquiry I have made, all hours of the day.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:00:52 am by KL27x »

The following users thanked this post: LabSpokane

Offline pcbfox

• !
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 03:52:34 pm »
Pls give me your email address, I will send you the design rules for Flexible pcb.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:14:41 pm »
My first flexi-rigid was a small panel with eight assemblies on it, all identical. Used coverlay as soldermask as I had used another flexi-rigid connector to connector assembly as a guide. Prototype panel arrived and all seemed well. Next thing, production manager gets a quote for building more, turned out that the prefered PCB supplier had to increase the manufacturing cost as they had to send the coverlay to another company to get it laser cut.

Damn, start all over again but this time sandwich the flex and coverlays between two rigid PCBs and use standard FR4 soldermask. It turned out to be cheaper to build, no laser cutting only drilling and through plating. Also, a few other PCB manufacturers recommend this sort of stackup as it is a cheaper option.

My second flexi-rigid was for translating an M12 X-coded industrial ethernet connector to RJ45, stackup was the same with the flex sandwiched between two layers of FR4. They worked out to be quite expensive £90 per circuit.

This time round, I've gone for FFC cable and connectors and a separate PCB at each end, one hell of a lot cheaper, and it seems you can route 1000Base-T through coplanar waveguide but I need to look at the signal integrity.

Offline moreab

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 12:55:22 pm »
My board size is 5*4.5 cm. I want to make flexible PCB with 0.4 mm track width what will be cost and I am from India so which countries will give me PCB soon.

Offline moreab

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 01:03:32 pm »
Please provide flexible PCB making company names or official sites?

Offline charlespax

• Regular Contributor
    • Pax Instruments
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 10:06:50 am »
You can use the service from Dangerous Prototypes. Go to http://dangerousprototypes.com/store/pcbs and select "Flex PCB" as the material.

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 06:45:12 am »
Please provide flexible PCB making company names or official sites?

Flexible circuit board means the composition substrate lamination into single board that allow circuit board to find substitute of multiple printed circuit board interconnection with connectors, wires and ribbon cable to create a single printed circuit board. Here is a flexible PCB manufacturer name is given for your reference only. http://www.technotronix.us/flex-rigid-flex-technology.html

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 11:22:15 am »
... Does anyone have any information about actually designing flexible PCBs and getting them manufactured?

You can look at the Würth Elektronik's design materials + they also manufacture (may not be as cheap if made in Asia). They have good design guide videos in youtube about flex/flex-rigid boards.

http://www.we-online.com/web/en/leiterplatten/produkte_/3d_starr_flexible_leiterplatten/Einleitung_3D_starrflex_leiterplatten_pcb.php

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf