Author Topic: Formula to Calculate the Cost Of PCB Fabrication  (Read 5132 times)

Offline richardlawson1489Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
Formula to Calculate the Cost Of PCB Fabrication
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:19:22 am »
Hello All,

What is the standard formula to calculate PCB Fabrication cost? How PCB cost calculator calculates the cost by adding value for Board Quantity, Board Size, Thickness, Layers, Copper weight, Solder Mask Color, Routing, Impedance Control, Ship to and Boards arrival time.

Here is an example of PCB Fabrication cost calculator, http://www.7pcb.com/pcb-quote-online.php

Please help. Thanks in Advance!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:35:42 am by richardlawson1489 »

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Formula to Calculate the Cost Of PCB Fabrication
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 12:56:57 pm »
Every company has its own formula.

I created PCBShopper.com to quickly compare prices from different PCB manufacturers. You enter your board's specs and PCBShopper sends queries to over two dozen companies, getting their prices for manufacturing your board. Then, PCBShopper shows you the results in a single table. I include the best-known companies in Asia, North America, and Europe. Give it a try.

- Bob Alexander
  PCBShopper.com

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 02:39:39 pm »
Thanks rea5252 for your reply. I agree that every company has its own formula, but there should be some defined standards to calculate the cost.

Can you tell me on what basis or formula, PCBshoppers calculating the cost of PCB Fabrication for more than 2 Dozens of companies?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:41:15 pm by richardlawson1489 »

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 03:22:17 pm »
I've seen some companies just take the total area (width x length x quantity) and multiply it by a constant that is chosen based on the number of layers, then add in extras like the solder mask color, etc. I have seen another company take the total area times a constant, plus the quantity times a constant, plus a setup fee. I've seen a third "PCB manufacturer" that just takes prices from the actual factory (and they have no idea how those prices are calculated), adds a profit margin, and rounds to the nearest ... whatever.

So it's all over the map.

- Bob

The following users thanked this post: richardlawson1489

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 03:35:12 pm »
Usually it is (area) * (number of layers/2) * (technology multiplyers) + setup + fixed cost. Ask a quote from the potential manufactrers. Negotiate a better price if you dont like it, and you have the numbers to back it up.

The following users thanked this post: richardlawson1489

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 04:56:37 am »
Thank you rea5245 and NANDBlog.

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 02:32:14 pm »
I agree with rea5245 and NANDBlog, each PCB manufacturer has their own cost calculation formula. The standard formula is total area (width x length x quantity) and multiply it with the extra added features includes solder mask, color, side, set up and more.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 02:37:50 pm »
Hello All,

What is the standard formula to calculate PCB Fabrication cost? How PCB cost calculator calculates the cost by adding value for Board Quantity, Board Size, Thickness, Layers, Copper weight, Solder Mask Color, Routing, Impedance Control, Ship to and Boards arrival time.

Here is an example of PCB Fabrication cost calculator, http://www.7pcb.com/pcb-quote-online.php

Please help. Thanks in Advance!

They're unlikely to tell you. Plug a few dozen combinations of values in and do a regression. Vary one parameter at a time and look for step jumps. Etc.

Offline Vicos Shi

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 03:55:04 am »
You could calculate the PCB price through quick quote online here: https://easyeda.com/order
EasyEDA, a one-stop shop for circuit design and PCB fab in electronic industry field, to help electronic engineers and hobbyists to take their design from schematics to the finished PCB in the easiest way. EasyEDA provides free, easy-to-use PCB design tool and top quality PCBs which are precise tolerance on solder mask, absolutely no errors, 100% E-test. Link for more details on PCB fabrication https://easyeda.com/feather/PCB_Fab_with_EasyEDA-05716a0675a24b2488efa7724c637cc0

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:01:39 am by Vicos Shi »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf