Author Topic: Homemade manual pick and place  (Read 12303 times)

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
Re: Homemade manual pick and place
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 04:40:59 am »
The main thing I noticed when making it was that it needs to be quite rigid so it doesn't sag.

The holes for the bearings in the arm need to be a reasonably good fit. I used 8mm bolts in the joints for rigidity.

Noted.
Thanks.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 07:56:00 am »
I always use 45 degree needles and hold the pincet under 45 degrees.
That is to have a clear point of view because I place the parts looking under a stereo microscope.
That is the main disadvantag I see from these placers you need a camera and can only see a part of the picture esp. with square ic packages.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 10:46:44 am »
I always use 45 degree needles and hold the pincet under 45 degrees.
That is to have a clear point of view because I place the parts looking under a stereo microscope.
That is the main disadvantage I see from these placers you need a camera and can only see a part of the picture esp. with square ic packages.

The camera for the placer is next on my shopping list.

I've been trying to think of a way to use my placer underneath my microscope. Not sure its doable - maybe putting the PCB on a small rotary table.

I use the the placer as I end up with too much hand shake using just tweezers under the microscope. I also get sick of having to bob my head between looking on the bench for parts (which I can't see without my glasses) and looking down the microscope.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 01:13:55 pm »
For most microscopes you can buy eyepieces for glasses you don't have to switch anymore.
The only problem I have is the minimum 5x zoom, it is just too much for normal P&p IMO.
3x would be ideal.
If I would build a manual P&P I would choose that multiple pcbs can bevfitted since looking up where to place the parts costs time. Doing the same parts for multiple pcbs after eachother makes it faster.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 10:36:48 pm »
For most microscopes you can buy eyepieces for glasses you don't have to switch anymore.
The only problem I have is the minimum 5x zoom, it is just too much for normal P&p IMO.
3x would be ideal.
If I would build a manual P&P I would choose that multiple pcbs can bevfitted since looking up where to place the parts costs time. Doing the same parts for multiple pcbs after eachother makes it faster.
Right, I take my glasses off when using the microscope.  If you can get your eyeballs up close to the eyepieces, you get about 2X the field of view.  With everything blown up, uncorrected astigmatism is not a concern.  I'm massively nearsighted.  When doing full assembly manually, I pull out the required number of parts next to the board, and then mount, say, all the 1K resistors at one time, then move on to the 10K or whatever.  I do a lot more inspection/rework than assembling boards completely by hand, so that doesn't take adding parts, just checking for bad joints and solder bridges.  Also, in some cases, I can line up a bunch of small boards, and put all the R1 on every board, then do R2 on every board.  This saves me time by mounting all the similar parts, not having to check the BOM over again for each board.

Jon

Offline jefflieuTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 12:25:03 pm »

You tend to know your way around the pcb pretty well after the layout :D
Of course, doing 2/3 at a time would still be faster. At home, 2 3 boards at one time seems good as they would fit into the oven as well.

i love Melbourne

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »
Maybe I am just getting old, pcbs with upto 30 components are ok, but last month I did a pcb with 80 components and I had to search each part almost everytime. Hands are still steady though  :)
There was this softwaretool discussed a year back or so which was no longer maintained unfortunately but would display each next part on a monitor. Might have to dig into that one.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 05:24:34 am »
Maybe I am just getting old, pcbs with upto 30 components are ok, but last month I did a pcb with 80 components and I had to search each part almost everytime. Hands are still steady though  :)
There was this softwaretool discussed a year back or so which was no longer maintained unfortunately but would display each next part on a monitor. Might have to dig into that one.

I looked at that software. It was neat but for me it was just a bit cumbersome.

I print out an A4 overlay of the board and use coloured highlighter pens to mark all the same value passives.

I also note how many of each there are and get that number of parts out, that way if there are any left over I know I've missedsometbjng.

I find it works very well.

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf