Author Topic: How to protect smd connectors against reflow heat ?  (Read 4943 times)

Offline KjeltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
How to protect smd connectors against reflow heat ?
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:07:16 am »
Hi I am building some pcbs for a friend but have trouble with the connectors melting.
I could use some tips how to protect these smd connectors against the heat of the reflow process.
The connectors are smd type and should withstand reflow according to the datasheet but they don't.
It is leaded solder so temps are not going >220oC and I stick to the standard reflow curve.

Mounting afterwards is a PITA due to the "wingpads", the mechanically solderpads on the sides.
thanks,

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
Re: How to protect smd connectors against reflow heat ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:18:09 am »
Looking at the picture I would be assuming you are using one of those small IR/toaster ovens, where a grill or high power IR lamp is mounted over the PCB. Regardless of what your "profile" may be set to or what the temperature sensor wherever it may be mounted is reading, those connectors are getting very hot. Direct IR energy radiates from the heating element into the plastic casing of that connector, plastic is an insulator so unlike devices connected to copper traces, the energy stays put & the device gets hot.

You could try shielding the connector slightly - perhaps polyamide tape and some tin foil or fashion it a small hat from an old stencil/shielding can. I would suggest your profile is probably hotter than you think as well however.

Manually soldering these would be easy if you gave yourself a little bit of extra pad to get some heat into with the soldering iron.

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:31:48 am »
Looking at the picture I would be assuming you are using one of those small IR/toaster ovens, where a grill or high power IR lamp is mounted over the PCB.
It is a medium reflow oven with 6 ceramic IR elements.

Regardless of what your "profile" may be set to or what the temperature sensor wherever it may be mounted is reading, those connectors are getting very hot.
I would suggest your profile is probably hotter than you think as well however.
I measure it twice a year with dual temp probes mounted across the surface and a logging meter, profile is ok better than the factory default ever was,
but indeed agreed that the 6 elements do create hotspots.

You could try shielding the connector slightly - perhaps polyamide tape and some tin foil or fashion it a small hat from an old stencil/shielding can.
Yes thanks, I thought about Kapton tape, alufoil might be better reflecting the ir more.

Do you think that this issue will be non-existent using commercial reflow ovens or does my friend need to rethink his choice?

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 09:48:48 am »
We have an IR "commerical" 5 zone  oven with about 1.6m of active reflow, it does OK with plastic connectors (white ones certainly go a tiny bit browner). However advice and papers you might find out there suggesting IR is better than convection because it is efficient etc, no longer apply to modern electronics. We surface mount things these days that just do not suit, connectors, tall electrolytic capacitors (shadows), big inductors, big boards, component density, all of these things exaggerate IRs weaknesses. Modern convection oven don't have these issues, however the bigger and more expensive ones will handle bigger denser things better, I suspect a benchtop £5-15k convection oven for instance probably still struggles with big inductors on a dense power board or ceramic PCBs.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:15:31 pm »
I have these issues only with connectors from Molex, other brands (like Samtec) work just fine. Even noname Chinese connectors from Aliexpress mostly work OK. So I just avoid Molex connectors as much as I can, and whenever I can't I solder these manually.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 12:57:10 am »
IR and convection reflow use two different heating and cooling mechanisms. In IR reflow the heating and cooling mechanisms are radiative because the air is static, whereas in convection refow the heating and cooling mechanisms are convective and rely on the movement of a heat through a conducting fluid such as air.

In IR reflow you have to put radiative heat energy in to heat up metal conductors and that heat is distributed throughout the metal whereas for insulating materials like plastics the same heat energy goes in but stays there because there is no conductive mechasism to get the heat back out, apart from the connector pins. So heat insulators like plastic connectors will get hotter than heat conductors like pcb tracks and components. In convection reflow you have a moving heat conducting fluid, air in this case, that puts heat energy in but also takes the heat out.

Not the best scientific explanation, but imagine the air as being a heatsink. IR reflow just puts heat in whereas convection puts heatn in and takes it back out.

Online 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 04:27:10 am »
I have doubts that these connectors are rated accordingly for lead-free (if that is what you are using). I used mostly Taiwanese and Chinese imitation of the Japanease's JST, Hirose, etc. They work all fine with a small 1500W 4-element reflow oven.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 09:43:57 am »
I have these issues only with connectors from Molex, other brands (like Samtec) work just fine. Even noname Chinese connectors from Aliexpress mostly work OK. So I just avoid Molex connectors as much as I can, and whenever I can't I solder these manually.
Interesting, these are from Molex and there might be a more temperature resilient version we will try next.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 09:52:07 am »
IR and convection reflow use two different heating and cooling mechanisms. ...........
So with all probability these connectors won't give issues when using a pro P&P firm in production.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 04:18:38 pm »
Interesting, these are from Molex and there might be a more temperature resilient version we will try next.
The datasheet for these connectors says they are good for LF reflow. But apparently not for IR ovens. Here is a telling example:

Connector at the bottom is from Molex, while two connectors on the left side are from Samtec, which despite being bigger and taller, survived reflow just fine. So there's definitely something about the plastic used by Molex that makes it very vulnerable to IR reflow.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 10:34:30 pm »
Tomorrow the next batch Molex's are going to get a tinfoil hat  ;)

Offline xaxaxa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 04:01:59 pm »
Connector at the bottom is from Molex, while two connectors on the left side are from Samtec, which despite being bigger and taller, survived reflow just fine. So there's definitely something about the plastic used by Molex that makes it very vulnerable to IR reflow.

Makes me wonder how hot those chips are getting...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 06:47:31 pm »
Update: the tinfoil hats work fine. It just takes awhile to put them on.
There should be fitmade versions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf