Author Topic: How to solder this ESP module on board?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline zeqingTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
How to solder this ESP module on board?
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:13:55 am »
Just found a nice wifi module of with ESP8266 core on makerfabs https://www.makerfabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_74_76&product_id=452 , tiny and can be soldered one the board vertically to save the space on PCB board.  but the package really strange, how should i solder&install it in on my board?  does any one know a connector that can work with module?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: How to solder this ESP module on board?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:20:54 am »
maybe i should put this question in the design board? i can not move, or delete this post now |O. but this is the problem that i encounter in "assembly"..

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 10:22:39 am »
Couldn't find a picture right off the bat, but it's installed vertically in a slot on the board. No connectors are involved.

PCB pattern will look like this - adjusted to match the module of course. Yellow outline represents a milled slot. Copper goes on the opposite side of the board.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:24:28 am by ovnr »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 10:29:45 am »
i can solder one pcs or ten pcs like this way manually, but for mass production, this soldering is too much time-cost ..an idea way is an SMD connector on the PCB board, and insert the ESP module into the connector, just like the PCI connection. i look around for this in internet and asked makerfabs supports, and get no good news.

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:37:53 am »

I don't think you will get good news. A wave solder machine would do ti but the truth is that all the ESP modules you get are for prototyping and hobby. If you want to mass produce then modules like this add too much cost, much cheaper to buy the chips and incorporate it into your own PCB.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 10:39:58 am »
As others have said, that isnt designed for a connector, its designed to solder into a PCB slot.

If you want to play with ESP modules get one with a carrier board, 3v3 regulator and usb-uart bridge on it.
Its like an extra $2
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:04:04 am »
my target production quantity is 200~500 pcs. adding the IC into my board would lead to risk on the antenna, which i do not familiar with, while only saves me about 0.5$/sets( the mass price is 2.2$/pcs on makerfabs and the IC itself will be about 1.5$), so if the soldering easy it would be a good choice for me.. 

the modules designer really bad to design the pins interval 1.6mm, it could be all right to design the pins interval with 1.27mm, or 2.0mm, that i could use standard female connectors. .

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:23:17 am »
No, it's not a bad design per se.

You have three options:

* Redesign your board to take a normal SMD module. Be sure to find one that comes on tape or in tubes, otherwise you're still out of luck re: volume production.
   If space is the issue, you may consider soldering the SMD module on a custom PCB, which is then mounted vertically with a connector of your choosing. This obviously adds rather a lot of cost.

* Deal with just hand-soldering it. Really, 500 pcs is still manageable, if a bit tedious.

* Have it professionally wave-soldered. If your board has other through-hole components, this of course makes even more sense. If you have SMD components on the bottom (double-sided load), you will have to either re-design it or to pay extra for selective wave-soldering.

I'd also like to remind you that these modules are a bit iffy. If you're doing a commercial product - and it sounds like you are, wrt. volume - you will need the full EMI/RF compliance tests. Yes, even if the module sports a fancy FCC logo. This, incidentally, costs money.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 02:23:34 am »
* Redesign your board to take a normal SMD module. Be sure to find one that comes on tape or in tubes, otherwise you're still out of luck re: volume production.
   If space is the issue, you may consider soldering the SMD module on a custom PCB, which is then mounted vertically with a connector of your choosing. This obviously adds rather a lot of cost.
will make the cost arise, and Mechanical modification needed;
Deal with just hand-soldering it. Really, 500 pcs is still manageable, if a bit tedious.

:-(  that is what i worried and avoid... soldering cost rise too much.
Have it professionally wave-soldered. If your board has other through-hole components, this of course makes even more sense. If you have SMD components on the bottom (double-sided load), you will have to either re-design it or to pay extra for selective wave-soldering.
  i am considering this way, just worried the ESP module get tilt too much in the soldering...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf