Author Topic: Is anyone still using backplanes for modular type lab equipment?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Currently I have an embedded system that has an LCD display, but no user interface controls other than a few DIP switches. All data comes in/out via a CAN bus running at 20 kbits/s.

In hindsight I now realise that omitting finger-sized controls was a bad decision. To keep the existing system running with minimal interruption I plan to create a series of separate boards to house the physical switches and potentiometers, and only communicate with the main board using CAN bus messages.

Years ago I remember custom lab equipment used expensive looking modular card frames with equally looking expensive floating connectors on the backplane. My connector requirements are pretty minimal, just 4 pins, ground, +5v, CAN high and CAN low.  Is building stuff on card frame sized boards a worthwhile exercise or is it easier just to use project boxes and stack them together to build a user interface?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:19:49 pm by e100 »

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Is anyone still using backplanes for modular type lab equipment?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 03:03:26 pm »
FWIW I recently used SATA cables and connectors for SPI-lines between a uC and my board, and some commercial device I've seen have used FireWire cables for some long (2-3m) runs to electromechanical gizmos from a central controller.

So I guess a standardized serial protocol + connector/cable is the fashion now - not plug-in units with 32 or 64 pins on a DIN euro-connector...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf