Author Topic: Is there a standard name or code for this USB socket?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline derGoldsteinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • RapidFlux
Is there a standard name or code for this USB socket?
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:00:48 am »
I've been looking for a completely SMT USB type-A sockets, and found these:
http://www.mouser.co.il/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=KUSBEX-SMT2-AS1N-BTRvirtualkey51700000virtualkey806-KUSSMT2AS1NBTR
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/uj2-ah-1-smt-tr/cui-inc

They use the same footprint, which is the same you can find on ebay like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100Pcs-USB-Type-A-Female-4Pin-SMT-Socket-Solder-Connectors-/181632047439

Is there a name for that particular model or footprint? I'm trying to compare prices but just setting "USB type-A female SMD connector/socket" in parametric searches gives me a lot of sockets that have prongs sticking through the PCB, which I can't use (the bottom of the PCB should be flat).
I have the Kycon ones, and the ones from E-bay, and the're almost exactly the same in their dimensions (except the ones from E-bay are janky and made from a ferrous metal). Would these dimensions or footprint be standardized?

• Regular Contributor
    • RapidFlux
Re: Is there a standard name or code for this USB socket?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:22:12 pm »
That's a type B (standard one, not mini/micro ones) USB connector, also called printer connector.

I assume you looked at the photo at the top of the Kycon datasheet? Scroll down to see the drawing, it's a type-A.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:42:41 pm »
It's not really widely used and I would suggest avoiding using it if you are designing it into a new product. Easy to knock it off the board together with pads. There is no standard name AFAIK.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 02:11:23 pm »
It's not really widely used and I would suggest avoiding using it if you are designing it into a new product. Easy to knock it off the board together with pads. There is no standard name AFAIK.

Agreed and probably why there are not many of that type around.

a lot of sockets that have prongs sticking through the PCB, which I can't use (the bottom of the PCB should be flat).

You need to redesign your product, or it will fail.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 06:41:08 pm »
Most surface-mount USB connectors will have small plastic nubs for alignment, but unless you're using some crazy-thin PCB the won't stick out the underside. Consider using a panel mount connector for better mechanical durability.

• Regular Contributor
    • RapidFlux
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 10:06:02 pm »
Most surface-mount USB connectors will have small plastic nubs for alignment, but unless you're using some crazy-thin PCB the won't stick out the underside.

Yeah, the ones I'm using now have them, but those are less than a mm in length and are zero-force-insertion, so they don't require another step after the pick-and-place process.

You need to redesign your product, or it will fail.

I'm looking into alternatives. Some of them have SMD leads but anchor their frame to the PCB, like this one:
http://il.farnell.com/amphenol-fci/87583-2010blf/usb-2-0-type-a-receptacle-smt/dp/1314363

Can those be placed by a pick-and-place machine, or do they have to be snapped in manually? I assume they require manual soldering if you want those anchors to properly bond with the PCB, but can the initial placement be done with a machine?

Offline richardlawson1489

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:16:10 am »
I think the standard name is 4 pin socket.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf