Author Topic: JLCPCB lead time  (Read 21803 times)

Offline pilleyaTopic starter

• Contributor
JLCPCB lead time
« on: October 17, 2017, 08:58:17 am »
Hi All,

Just wondering 'usual' lead times for JLCPCB( related to EasyEDA). I made a relatively small order(2000 small boards with 4 different prototypes of 10 boards each). I paid for DHL and was quoted a 3-4 day leadtime for the boards. That was Sunday the 8th of October, it was not until Friday that production of some of my boards started( by the website anyway).

Have others had similiar experiences?

PCBway although roughly 50% more expensive is much faster in my experience, I once ordered on Tuesday morning and had my boards by Sunday morning. Might have to stick with them for the small prototype orders from now on( I am on a tight schedule).

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: JLCPCB lead time
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:10:56 am »
You ordered just at the end of a week-long Chinese holiday, so I wouldn't expect a normal leadtime.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: nowlan

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:06:08 pm »
Just wondering 'usual' lead times for JLCPCB( related to EasyEDA). I made a relatively small order(2000 small boards with 4 different prototypes of 10 boards each). I paid for DHL and was quoted a 3-4 day leadtime for the boards. That was Sunday the 8th of October, it was not until Friday that production of some of my boards started( by the website anyway).

That's wierd. When I ordered from them, the boards showed up as "in production" within seconds of me placing the order. I.e, too fast for it to actually be in production..

But, even outside of holidays, I've waited for just over a week to have boards produced by JLCPCB/EasyEDA. As in, 9 days between ordering and them shipping them out.

Offline derGoldstein

• Regular Contributor
    • RapidFlux
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 12:41:03 am »
JLCPCB doesn't have the fastest turnaround, but their board quality is excellent for the price. I ordered 20 pieces of a medium-sized board (a bit less than 100x100mm) on the 4th, and it was shipped yesterday, the 17th (using DHL, but from that point on it's on DHL to do their jobs). Compare that with ALLPCB who can make and ship a board (or a hundred boards) within 5 days with no "hurry up" fees.

Still, if you're not in a hurry their board quality is very good. I'm forced to use a lot of QFN packages and an offset solder mask can ruin your day. JLCPCB come back with crisp traces and a very-rarely offset solder mask.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 07:43:24 am »
I've used EasyEDA's proto service 3 times and boards were with me in a week ( Via UPS or DHL, don't recall which). Most of the cost was shipping.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:58:06 am »
I get all my stencils made by JLCPB,  and the majority of my pcbs made at Allpcb.    Allpcb have started to get things sorted out and the last 4 or so orders, ( 100 odd panels each ) 4 layer, have been shipped within 3 days,ad the quality has been great.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 11:20:26 am »
I contacted JLCPCB and they are almost finished my orders, its not the delay I am annoyed about but rather not being told upfront. 10 working days should be enough to produce a small order( especially as 3-4 was quoted). I've just placed an order with PCBway for a stencil and 1200 boards( 40 panels) so I'll be interested to see how fast they are larger orders( I've previously only done small ones). Its rather strange but JLCPCB's pricing seems to have doubled in the past few days and they are now charging for any soldermask other than green. So JLC and PCBway are now identical in pricing.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:23:48 am »
I contacted JLCPCB and they are almost finished my orders, its not the delay I am annoyed about but rather not being told upfront. 10 working days should be enough to produce a small order( especially as 3-4 was quoted). I've just placed an order with PCBway for a stencil and 1200 boards( 40 panels) so I'll be interested to see how fast they are larger orders( I've previously only done small ones). Its rather strange but JLCPCB's pricing seems to have doubled in the past few days and they are now charging for any soldermask other than green. So JLC and PCBway are now identical in pricing.
PCBway is very fast. However quality is inconsistent.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 07:41:44 pm »
Im finding Allpcb to be both consistent and fast,  and the quality is good.

The down side is that you have to know what their DFM rules are and they don't do a good job of publishing them. But once you get past that, its great.

The following users thanked this post: Erin.KOU

Offline derGoldstein

• Regular Contributor
    • RapidFlux
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 08:30:19 pm »
Im finding Allpcb to be both consistent and fast,  and the quality is good.

The down side is that you have to know what their DFM rules are and they don't do a good job of publishing them. But once you get past that, its great.

You mean the DRC/DRU?
I actually just got done having several designs audited with ALLPCB, and there are two things that may speed things up there:
1) Start with OSHPark .dru files ( http://docs.oshpark.com/design-tools/eagle/design-rules-files/ ).
2) If you're ordering 2oz copper, increase all of the clearance values to 8mil (otherwise they'll get back to you and tell you to increase clearances, and they won't necessarily specify by how much).

You're right, they don't properly advertise this, but with these two rules I've been getting everything approved lately.
The one thing that you should look out for though is very thin solder mask "lines". I've had 2 boards where the distance between two adjacent pads was about 0.1mm. One of the boards came back with thin solder mask lines between the pads, and one came back with no lines between the pads. I'd make sure that solder mask areas are at least 0.2mm in width.

Offline forrestc

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 08:53:35 pm »

Have others had similiar experiences?

JLCPCB/EasyEDA are very inconsistent with their lead times.    And sometimes something goes wrong and the whole order gets stuck in some state which requires someone at easyeda/jlcpcb to manually move it along.  Unfortunately it is often difficult to get their support department to realize that something is stuck, and do something about it.

If the quality wasn't so consistently good and the price so low, I would have moved somewhere else by now. 

One other note:  JLCPCB is cheaper but has atrocious shipping prices.  Often it's cheaper to order through EasyEDA once you add the shipping price, even if EasyEDA appears to be more expensive before shipping.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:27 am »
You mean the DRC/DRU?
DFM = design for manufacture..  Your DRC / DRU are all part of of that.     Really what i was saying you've got to design your board to meet their manufacturing rules.

You're right, they don't properly advertise this, but with these two rules I've been getting everything approved lately.
The one thing that you should look out for though is very thin solder mask "lines". I've had 2 boards where the distance between two adjacent pads was about 0.1mm. One of the boards came back with thin solder mask lines between the pads, and one came back with no lines between the pads. I'd make sure that solder mask areas are at least 0.2mm in width.

Solder Silvers are a nightmare.  They tend to fall of the boards too, and nothing is worse than a .1mm bit of Solder mask that ends up getting in the way of a a pad on a QFN.  The actual rule for that is a < 0.18mm slivers.   Been a long time since i used Eagle, but Altium will let you set up a rule for this. 

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 08:53:42 am »
Hi All,

As others  have said, you placed your order at a time when lead times will be abnormal. However, when its not holiday time, living in Hong Kong I generally received small quantities of 2 layer boards from JLC overnight.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:21 am »
it was not until Friday that production of some of my boards started( by the website anyway).
You placed you order on Chinese golden week holidays (Oct 2 - Oct 8. this year). I would guess they got a lot of orders during that time and you were put in the end of that queue. I got my order of PCBA at other place severely delayed because they did not finish assembly before it started and finished only after that.

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 08:18:34 pm »
For a fab with fast delivery and low costs, welcome try us, ALLPCB

For a 4layer board, 1mm, 90x50mm (last board I ordered)
EasyEDA / JLCPCB price: $32.84
AllPCB: $50.34
( Shipping not included in either price )

So, "no thanks" ?

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 09:16:04 pm »

So, "no thanks" ?

I just checked this  pricing the $32.84 was correct, the build time is 5 days.
Allpcbs price was $41.86 and the build time is 72 hours.
JLCPCBs FR4 is TG140, and allpcbs is TG130..    Not a problem if you are doign Leadbased, but PBF, the TG130 is border line if you are using convection / ir relfow.

These prices seem to be in a downwards spiral. though..   At least for me, the shpping prices fro ALlpcb were lower, and the net result was about $2.00 differfence.

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 06:17:34 am »

I just checked this  pricing the $32.84 was correct, the build time is 5 days.
Allpcbs price was $41.86 and the build time is 72 hours.

That's weird. It still comes up as $50.34 for me. (Screenshot attached)

With express shipping to Sweden, AllPCB comes to $72.34 ($22 shipping, TNT), and EasyEDA/JLCPCB comes to $58.51 ($23.67 shipping, DHL).

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 07:18:00 am »
Received my boards from JLCPCB and they are pretty nice( seem higher quality than PCBway) my only gripe is that a board number has placed in a very visible location, rather than underneath a connector( had an outline to show where) unfortunately which makes it look a bit crap. But for $22 for 1000 boards( these are small and loose) I'm not complaining. Interestingly when I ordered non-green silkscreen was the same price, now it is substantially more expensive( no non-green for $5 pcb proto etc).

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 09:17:38 am »
Oh, i missed the 1mm thickenss.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 02:39:06 pm »
Elecrow, ordered Oct. 6, received Oct. 23.  East coast of US.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 02:59:04 pm »
Interestingly when I ordered non-green silkscreen was the same price, now it is substantially more expensive( no non-green for $5 pcb proto etc).
Usually choosing a different colour doesn't affect the price, but it slows down deliver, as they can't aggregate enough designs to run a batch every day.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 10:36:09 am »
I use both PCBWAY and JLCPCB.  If I need it 'guaranteed' for a time, then PCBWAY is my preferred option (I love their transparent ordering and tracking system), JLC is a bit hit/miss with timing, but as others have said, the quality might be a little better than JLC, but the stress is higher.

Sadly I've stopped recommending UK manufacturers for most customers jobs, the lead-time's aren't any better for 'standard' prototypes - quality really isn't any different. And the prices are x10 more.

I remember a time when there was over 500 PCB companies in the UK, now it can't be more than 50 - those few remaining PCB companies in the UK seem to surviving and 'happy with their lot' - however, the ones I've spoken to recently don't seem to be investing in their facilities or systems.  I'd happily pay a 'sensible' premium for UK made PCB's if they had the online tracking visibility, online front-end and turnaround of PCBWAY.

And yes, the legislation on processing your effluent is different in China and the EU, but that doesn't explain the 10x difference. Rant over.

EDIT: english..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:12:38 pm by fcb »
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 11:34:00 am »
I placed my order on September 27 and received my PCBs on October 3.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 03:20:36 pm »
I remember a time when there was 500+ PCB companies in the UK, now it can't be more than 50, those few remaining PCB companies in the UK seem to surviving and 'happy with their lot', however the ones I've spoken to recently don't seem to be investing in their facilities or systems.  I'd happily a 'sensible' premium for UK locally made PCB's if they had the online tracking visibility, online front-end and turnaround of PCBWAY.
There used to be enough business in the UK to support a lot of PCB makers, although only a few were really successful at any one point in time (as determined by which of them had managed to grab the best connected sales people). Now I'm surprised there is enough business left in the UK to support 50. I can't imagine why any of them would make more than the minimal investment needed to keep their existing facilities functional in such a dead market.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 05:21:06 pm »
PCB manufacture should almost be a light's out process from the front-end through to packing - with a small number of skilled technicians keeping the machinery & processes in trim.  I suspect that the first fully automated plant will actually be in China though.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf