Author Topic: Looking for consultant for sourcing special-characteristic FR4/PCB  (Read 1685 times)

Offline axolotylTopic starter

• Contributor
Looking for consultant for sourcing special-characteristic FR4/PCB
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:09:20 pm »
We're looking for someone with experience in sourcing PCBs with atypical characteristics. Specifically, color-core PCBs that are route-cut to (relatively) high tolerances.
PCB fabs that we've tried so far usually don't carry color-core FR4, and if they do, they do not carry the particular thickness we require. Beyond that, it's very difficult to get commitments for edge tolerances (only commitments for hole diameters are common).

We can either pay for consulting time or a finder's fee.

General advise is also welcome.

Refer to this discussion:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/clear-soldermask-and-black-core-pcb/

And we've ordered from here before:
http://www.caringcircuit.com/black-core-ccl-circut-board-pcb-p-37.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:24:10 am by axolotyl »

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Re: Looking for consultant for sourcing special-characteristic FR4/PCB
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:54:46 pm »
You got me. what is color-core PCB
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

• Contributor

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:57:40 am »
ok.

I know that Allpcb will do clear Soldermask. its a to Taiyo product.   but thats only part of the problem you need a black substrate. Good luck.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

The following users thanked this post: axolotyl

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:31:59 am »
I been through this for other specialty laminates and prepreg and it is generally hell.

1. Know all your design requirements, such as UL approvals, high speed/RF, RoHs halogen free, TG rating, voltage rating etc. especially for global product approvals.

2. You'll have to source the PCB laminate/prepreg from manufacturers, such as Isola or Ventec etc. and contact their sales.

Find out who your PCB fab house deals with, their laminate suppliers- and work backwards. Because it's easier for them to just order a oddball part number instead of set up a new account with a new supplier.

Be prepared for stupid expensive quotes because one or two requirements that are way out to Mars can creep in and make the laminate very exotic, by accident.

I found PCB fab houses don't know much about laminates, and PCB laminate manufacturers just want to sell huge quantities to the big fish, with big lead times.

I've seen colour core is popular in Taiwan with motherboards but nothing in North America.

The following users thanked this post: axolotyl

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 02:23:21 am »
Super helpful.

"You'll have to source the PCB laminate/prepreg from manufacturers, such as Isola or Ventec etc. and contact their sales."
We reached out to several with no luck. Will try Isola and Vestec.

"Find out who your PCB fab house deals with, their laminate suppliers- and work backwards."
We tried that but their thickness were out of spec and prices through the roof. I'm posting here as we were running out of ideas.

"I found PCB fab houses don't know much about laminates, and PCB laminate manufacturers just want to sell huge quantities to the big fish, with big lead times."
Very true

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf