Author Topic: Looking for suggestions- low-mid range reflow oven  (Read 9305 times)

Offline reagleTopic starter

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
Looking for suggestions- low-mid range reflow oven
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:32:07 pm »
Looking for something a notch above Chinese $300 ovens that are all over Ebay, benchtop style, 120V or 220V.
Any  manufacturers/models  you could suggest?

Offline Spikee

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Looking for suggestions- low-mid range reflow oven
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:20:48 pm »
Tbh a modded Combi-microwave (convection , and top heat) works best and a cheap <10 dollar arduino reflow controller.
As these models lack in power 90% of the reflow curve mine (28L 1780W 230VAC 50Hz) is on full power , only in the reflow stage it has to turn of the heating elements to prevent overshoot.

I would advice a 2000-2500W (in convection mode ) with as little internal volume as possible. In the 200-300$ there should be quite a few nice models new and second hand.
Tonight i will record a video of mine while preparing, assembling and reflowing a few boards. It will be on my YT channel.

This topic might also be useful: (see my last post)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/reflowcomparisation-convection-900w-vs-1800w-skillet/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:22:31 pm by Spikee »
Freelance electronics design service, Small batch assembly, Firmware / WEB / APP development. In Shenzhen China

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:35:33 pm »
I made a reflow oven using a toaster oven I bought from a local store. I did a write up on it over at CNCzone located HERE.

It cost a lot for the data logger, but maybe you can rent one or borrow one?

The oven was $35 USD, the PID was $79 USD, and the relay and heatsink was about $15 USD bought off ebay. You'll need a thermocouple as well, that was about another $10 USD and the 110v switches were another $7 USD from Radioshack. So, without data logger, you're looking at about $146.00 and it works great!  If you get the same toaster oven, I can send you the file for the cutout for the front plate. You'll need a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut out the old front plate (where old knobs were).

Just don't toast your morning toast in it after you use it to solder something in it. That would be bad.  :P

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 03:24:09 pm »
Looking for something a notch above Chinese $300 ovens that are all over Ebay, benchtop style, 120V or 220V.

reagle, did you find any?

Ian had this video last year recomanding the Qinsi 5100. Am not sure if it's available in the US.

http://dangerousprototypes.com/2013/02/14/workshop-video-55-infrared-reflow-oven-qinsi-qs-5100/

There is a model called T962 (the T962A is larger)  that is inexpensive and 110V versions are available on ebay and amazon . Reviewed are mixed.  It looks very similar to the Qinsi 5100 and the new version a glass window and possibly other changes. I ordered one and will give it a try (my boards are small ~4"x4" at most, so temperature eveness will be less a issue) . One trick in Ian's video is to raise the board on two used pcb's such that it does not touch the metal drawer, this will improve the heat distribution.

Ian also mentions in one of his 'small production' videos an electronic hot plate that is popular among makers.

There are many DYI instructions and videos if you want to cut cost and enjoy the making.  For me it's a tool, not a project.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:08:12 am »

These guys do an upgrade to the well known T962A which improves it significantly. Involves a new controller board c/w LCD and an additional SSD.

http://www.estechnical.co.uk/reflow-controllers/t962a-reflow-oven-controller-upgrade

? T962A reflow oven upgrade;
? Improved temperature control;
? More consistent heat distribution;
? Reduce wastage through damaged or destroyed boards and components;
? Reduce the need to rework incomplete reflow soldering;
? Save up to 32 easily adjustable reflow profiles;
? Pre-programmed with a profile ideal for lead-free soldering.

I upgraded one for a pal (still using it right now!) and it's great. I've tried everything from 1 small pcb to several in at the same time and no worries.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:13:56 pm »
Ohararp sells a pre-modded B&D Infrawave for $325 which is a good deal

http://ohararp.com/product/infrawave-reflow-oven/
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline TheRuler8510

• Regular Contributor
  • RF Engineer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 04:56:34 pm »
Ohararp sells a pre-modded B&D Infrawave for $325 which is a good deal

http://ohararp.com/product/infrawave-reflow-oven/

marshallh,

The website says it is sold out.  What is the alternative?

Regards,
"There are no facts, only interpretations."
--Friederich Nietzsche

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 05:04:56 pm »

What features/qualities are you looking for beyond the common benchtop ones on ebay?   (I have a T962 and am very happy with it).

iantube on ebay has episodes about a benchtop reflow over and a hot plate respectivly.

Offline TheRuler8510

• Regular Contributor
  • RF Engineer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

What features/qualities are you looking for beyond the common benchtop ones on ebay?   (I have a T962 and am very happy with it).

iantube on ebay has episodes about a benchtop reflow over and a hot plate respectivly.

I am scared off by all the negative reviews of the T962. Paying an extra $100 or more seems worth it for something reliable.

Regards,
--Friederich Nietzsche

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 07:56:07 pm »

I am scared off by all the negative reviews of the T962. Paying an extra $100 or more seems worth it for something reliable.

Regards,

Get one that you can return and try it. This is what I did and am happy with it. I am using leaded paste and profile #2 as is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline TheRuler8510

• Regular Contributor
  • RF Engineer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 08:05:47 pm »

Zapta,

Where'd you get yours? I'm concerned that the T962 units on eBay might be knock-offs and not real T962s.

--Friederich Nietzsche

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf