Author Topic: Low cost alternatives to MacroFab and CircuitHub?  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Martin FTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Low cost alternatives to MacroFab and CircuitHub?
« on: December 27, 2018, 03:38:17 pm »
Hi all,

We're looking to produce fairly straight-forward PCBs (5 cm x 8 cm, ~40 unique components) in volumes of 500 to 1000 units per batch.
In the past we've used Circuithub and we've also looked at MacroFab - but we're interested in identifying other alternative assembly options.

Ideally we're looking for something that is low cost at the above volumes, ideally produced in USA, Canada or Europe.

Would love to hear any suggestions/experiences!

Thanks,
Martin

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Re: Low cost alternatives to MacroFab and CircuitHub?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 06:06:00 pm »
Ideally we're looking for something that is low cost at the above volumes, ideally produced in USA, Canada or Europe.
those geographies preclude low costs.    What makes China unsuitable?
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Martin FTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 06:47:26 pm »
Hi, we’ve also considered china, but we’ve heard very different views. Some find it good, while others consider it a major risk - depending of course also on the specific assembly house. We’re open to inputs on good Chinese options as well.

So far we’ve worked with a US option, which we’ve been happy with (but now looking to expand our options). Since we’ve had luck with the US option we’d be ready to pay a premium vs Chinese options - though still aiming for something low cost within US/Europe.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 07:39:45 pm »
Hi, we’ve also considered china, but we’ve heard very different views. Some find it good, while others consider it a major risk - depending of course also on the specific assembly house. We’re open to inputs on good Chinese options as well.

So far we’ve worked with a US option, which we’ve been happy with (but now looking to expand our options). Since we’ve had luck with the US option we’d be ready to pay a premium vs Chinese options - though still aiming for something low cost within US/Europe.

Theres good and bad in every market.  You just have to do your homework.     I'd say your premium is 200-300% over china.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 10:50:57 am »
I can't suggest anyone specifically in your regions, but check out this list https://www.crowdsupply.com/providers
You can see providers who have worked on various Crowd Supply projects, and click through on those projects to read the updates and see how things went.
Maybe even contact the project teams for more info.

Offline ardisk

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 10:14:05 am »
I've made some research some time ago about this question.

If you're looking for a low cost PCB manufacturing & assembly service in Europe I'd recommend you www.pcbgo.cc or www.aisler.net.
I have worked with both and they offered very good quality. AISLER (I'm not sure if they offer PCBA) is based in Germany, while PCBGO is based in Spain.
PCBGO offers free shipping for orders over €100. As well, if your company has European ID you don't pay VAT.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf