Author Topic: Metcal QX2 nozzles  (Read 2879 times)

Offline mattbTopic starter

Metcal QX2 nozzles
« on: May 31, 2016, 02:07:41 pm »
Hi all,

I've recently acquired a Metcal QX2 rework station but i need to get some nozzles for it - does anyone know a source for these that aren't stupid prices? I've seen some nozzles for £150 +! Failing that, I'm thinking i might be able to adapt some cheap hot air gun ones from Aliexpress...

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Metcal QX2 nozzles
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 03:06:41 pm »
What's the outer diameter where it inputs into the end of the heating element tube?

I ask, as I'm wondering if Quick's NK series nozzles will fit (I don't have a proper caliper, but I'm measuring 22.5mm on mine using a stainless steel engineering ruler). They're rather well made actually, and not terribly expensive either (no where near what Metcal's nozzles sell for).  :-+

NK Series Nozzle Datasheet (.pdf).

Somerset Solder & AMS both sell Quick in the UK, so they should be able to get them for you (also look for the 861DS; usually the sellers I've seen in the past were located in Poland). Maybe even eBay, if you can get them shipped from a US seller.

FWIW, I've been able to solder/desolder anything I've come across just using the 3 round nozzles that were included. You can buy or make shields to protect nearby components if need be (JBC shields).

Basically, they borrowed from Weller's nozzle design methodology, but offer them at a fraction of Weller's prices.  >:D

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:11:00 pm »
I might see if i can source a second hand nozzle (i've seen one for £35 on eBay but its in the states) at least then i'll have a reference to what the dimensions should be

Thanks for the links - most useful

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »
I might see if i can source a second hand nozzle (i've seen one for £35 on eBay but its in the states) at least then i'll have a reference to what the dimensions should be

Thanks for the links - most useful
A nozzle would be the easiest way to measure, but can't you measure the metal tube's diameter where it contacts the nozzle?  :-//

On the Quick models that use the NK series, there's the main metal tube and an additional collar that's fitted around the end (tube inside a tube). Which leaves just enough of a gap between the two tube diameters (inner + outer) to hold the nozzle by friction (gap is ~1.0mm).

If measuring by this ^ method isn't feasible, you'd be cheaper to just order an NK series and try it. Shouldn't be anywhere near 35GBP, as they go for under $3.00 here (N3125 for example).  :o   :-+ Probably faster too.   ;D

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 03:37:17 pm »
Thanks - your right - i should be able to measure the tube and see if it fits. The NK series do look pretty similiar :D

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:02:34 pm »
just to follow up on this... they are 35mm diameter nozzles on the metcal... huge!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 01:53:26 pm »
just to follow up on this... they are 35mm diameter nozzles on the metcal... huge!
That sucks.  :--

Your situation reminds me why I skipped a used Pace hot air unit in very good condition I dearly wanted.  The cost of spares & accessories were expensive, such as $400 for a heating element. Yet the entire station was for sale for ~$200. Nozzles go for ~$60 each just for simple round ones.

Hope you stumble across what you need on the used market for something more reasonable than 150GBP per.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:55:31 pm by nanofrog »

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 12:20:26 pm »
im thinking i might have to turn an adapter on the lathe to take the cheap nozzles and fatten them up :)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 01:15:45 pm »
im thinking i might have to turn an adapter on the lathe to take the cheap nozzles and fatten them up :)
In that case, I say go for it.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf