Author Topic: Need help wit attaching the tip in a Weller DXV-80 through-hole desoldering tool  (Read 1175 times)

Offline rbmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi,

I feel this is a silly-a$$ question.  I bought a Weller WRS-1002 soldering workstation with a DXV-80 through-hole desoldering pencil amongst its attachments.  The unit never came with a tip so I purchased one from Digikey.  I've read the manual for how to attach the tip to the heating element, however I'm not sure that I've got it right.  See the picture below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HV5msKJB42V34nv02

The tip is supposed to be inserted into the tool and turned 1/4 turn clockwise to secure it.  I don't have the fancy Weller tool to do this so I used a 8mm combination wrench.  The tip is secure but slightly off the centre line and part of the tip's base is visible.  This is the best that I can do.  The DXV-80 works but I'm not happy with the tip's position.

I've never owned one of these devices so I'm wondering if someone can please critique the way I've attached the tip.  Is this normal?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:06:18 pm by rbm »
- Robert

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Pigture missing!
There is a Weller tool called 'conus cleaner', which might solve the problem. Otherwise the handpiece might be damaged. Shouldn't look much different to the previous screwed ones, when inserted properly.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:37:22 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf