Author Topic: Need tips for my first ever PCB to be manfctured.  (Read 4025 times)

Offline sean87Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
Need tips for my first ever PCB to be manfctured.
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:48:17 am »
Hi guys,

For my project (To make it look good) I decided to not go with prototyping board and instead get the PCB manfactured. This is a really simple circuit as you see below:

I am using Altium. Here is the questions that I have not find answers for them yet:

1 - Which one is going to be the manfactured PCB size: the board shape, or the pink line I draw on mechanical layer 1?
2- For routing this simple PCB, is it ok to put all routes in the bottom layer? Does the top layer have solder so while soldering the solder comes to top layer as well? How to put the routing in a multilayer mode (I mean the routes be inserted inside the PCB not on top or buttom!?
3- Have I placed that ORIGIN in right place? If not, where should it be?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:53:21 am by sean87 »
EMBEDONIX - Embedded Systems, Linux and good stuff!

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
Re: Need tips for my first ever PCB to be manfctured.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:06 am »
1: The pink line. Include the layer in Gerber set and include a note to the manufacturer about the layer that has the board edges. Btw, the usual layer for the edge is the keepout layer. no matter, you still need to send the Gerber data and the note.

2: Yes, and no, assuming the pads are big enough. For multilayer, you add a layer pair. I'm not on the computer I have Altium so I'm guessing, but it might be in board properties. A four layer PCB for this project is a bit overkill.  :)

3: Put it in the bottom left corner, so all coordinates are positive. It should not really matter, but five seconds to avoid any potential problems is worth it.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline sean87Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE WannaBee
    • EMBEDONIX
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:31:13 am »
Thanks, for placing the origin, you mean I should place it on bottom-left of the pink lines, or the board shape itself?!
EMBEDONIX - Embedded Systems, Linux and good stuff!

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:44:39 pm »
Thanks, for placing the origin, you mean I should place it on bottom-left of the pink lines, or the board shape itself?!
These should be the same:). In other words, Altium defines a board shape, but you should still draw the board edges on some layer, plot it and send the Gerber data of that layer to the manufacturer.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:45:33 am »
Once you've drawn a board outline with your pink line, or whatever, you can tell Altium to redefine the board shape from that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf