Author Topic: Pace ADS200 soldering station  (Read 360768 times)

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 production station (a JBC killer at $239??)
« Reply #700 on: August 03, 2018, 01:16:48 am »
Here is my latest effort. I'm leaving for the weekend, so I wanted to post this so people can think it over.

I have traced out almost all of the tracks. There are a few vias that disappear into the inner layers, so that'll take some time to figure out if they actually go somewhere I haven't mapped yet. I also need to clean up the op amp and heater drive schematics.

The following users thanked this post: exe, Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #701 on: August 03, 2018, 01:56:23 am »
Hope Aaron doesn't pop a head-gasket on those schematics..  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide

Offline drojf

Mektronics sale
« Reply #702 on: August 03, 2018, 01:59:15 am »

The ADS200 is on 'sale' at Mektronics, so now the price is $499 (excluding GST. Was $543 previously).

PRICES BELOW EXCLUDING GST (i'm pretty sure element14 also excludes GST, correct me if I'm wrong)

Mektronics, with ISB: $499 ('sale')
(Not available yet!) Element14, with ISB: $481
(Not available yet!) Element14,   NO ISB: $435

edit: Mektronics has an ebay account, where the ADS200 costs $576.35 inc GST and free shipping. You can use the PENNY5 discount code to get it for $547.53 inc shipping (or any other ebay voucher you happen to have).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:01:42 am by drojf »

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #703 on: August 03, 2018, 03:47:41 am »
It's for uhh.... educational purposes only  ::)

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #704 on: August 03, 2018, 03:50:06 am »
Hope Aaron doesn't pop a head-gasket on those schematics..  :scared:

I can't imagine someone making a station of the same quality and support for less. Though, I suspect it won't be too long before someone makes a drop-in replacement PCB with a fancy OLED display and custom firmware. Probably increase sales if it becomes a popular unit to mod.

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #705 on: August 03, 2018, 03:54:53 am »
BTW TEquipment has lowered the price of the ADS200 with ISB stand to $243.80  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #706 on: August 03, 2018, 05:27:40 am »
BTW TEquipment has lowered the price of the ADS200 with ISB stand to $243.80  :-+

Tried the EEVblog 6% off discount code on top of that? Should work as I think they honor it on almost every other deal.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #707 on: August 13, 2018, 01:15:05 am »
I finally got around to looking at this again and doing some measurements. There is just one via that I can't tell if I found where it went or not. I had to use the 4-wire probes to figure out the current shunt circuitry as the previous iteration didn't make sense. I have a couple of observations/questions about the design.

1. The MCU reset circuitry is rather complex especially considering the data sheet just suggests connecting a cap to VDD.
2. There is a good 0.4V sag on the 5V power rail while the heater is on. The sag is seen in the digital signals. I'm a bit surprised by this since there is the 1000 uF cap. Edit: It's only 20mV. I had a grounding issue.
3. Why have a flip flop control the PNP which controls the NPN which in turn controls the P-channel for heater power? Why not have the flip flop drive the NPN?
4. There is a NTC thermistor in the hand piece just below the bottom of the cartridge. I assume this is for cold-junction compensation. I haven't worked out the LM317 is doing with the thermistor, though.
5. I don't see where/how the current shunt is actually used to measure cartridge current. The op amp circuit doesn't permit it, and the multiplexer is usually passing the cold-junction analog signal while the heater is on, not the thermocouple/current shunt signal. I actually got the over current error message when I accidentally shorted the 5V and ground rails while probing.
6. Concerning the large temperature jumps shown in Dave's video, the only time I see the thermocouple voltage jump is when the heater is on which is expected for a series heater and thermocouple. I would not expect Pace to be making temperature measurements while the heater is on. While the heater is on for an extended period of time, e.g. turning on for the first time, the multiplexer does pass the thermocouple analog signal to the ADC so perhaps Pace does make thermocouple measurements which would cause the temperature to jump.  :-//
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:58:49 pm by mbless »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, exe, Cliff Matthews, drojf, knapik, ricepower, p514

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #708 on: August 13, 2018, 02:42:23 am »

2. There is a good 0.4V sag on the 5V power rail while the heater is on. The sag is seen in the digital signals. I'm a bit surprised by this since there is the 1000 uF cap.

That's surprising. How low does the VAA +30V supply go when the heater is on?

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #709 on: August 13, 2018, 03:01:44 pm »

2. There is a good 0.4V sag on the 5V power rail while the heater is on. The sag is seen in the digital signals. I'm a bit surprised by this since there is the 1000 uF cap.

That's surprising. How low does the VAA +30V supply go when the heater is on?

Off the top of my head I measured ~32V unloaded and 30V when the heater is on. I am going to remeasure all of the rails tonight since I have my doubts about something. I will update later.

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #710 on: August 13, 2018, 03:29:52 pm »
Matches my unloaded numbers. ANSI 120VAC can go as high as 126V (too close for comfort with 33.5v on 35v cap). Marco Reps says there's drop-in switch-mode parts for the 7805.. Would switching noise play well with the ICL7660 and op amps?

BTW, my 7805 is 30c cooler now..  :-+

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #711 on: August 14, 2018, 12:05:00 am »
Matches my unloaded numbers. ANSI 120VAC can go as high as 126V (too close for comfort with 33.5v on 35v cap). Marco Reps says there's drop-in switch-mode parts for the 7805.. Would switching noise play well with the ICL7660 and op amps?

Yes, 35V is too low. Today I measured 33V unloaded and 31V loaded. Plus it is right next to the large heat-generating 7805 :scared:.

I personally wouldn't change to an switch mode without a linear post regulator due to noise concerns. I remeasured the 5V rail and got about 20mV drop while the heater was on. I had a grounding issue before that was showing much higher voltage drop.

• Supporter
« Reply #712 on: August 14, 2018, 02:31:24 am »

Yes, 35V is too low. Today I measured 33V unloaded and 31V loaded. Plus it is right next to the large heat-generating 7805 :scared:.

I personally wouldn't change to an switch mode without a linear post regulator due to noise concerns. I remeasured the 5V rail and got about 20mV drop while the heater was on. I had a grounding issue before that was showing much higher voltage drop.
Whew..!  I'm glad. Since Pace gifted mine, I didn't figure I even had a warranty (especially now with all my mods)

Trivia: This Pace is so dedicated, it works during severe brown-outs.. in fact, it can solder at 33% of normal mains  :-DD

Offline labjr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #713 on: August 14, 2018, 03:58:16 am »

Trivia:
This Pace is so dedicated, it works during severe brown-outs.. in fact, it can solder at 33% of normal mains  :-DD

I don't see how that's a selling point. I've never experienced a brown-out while soldering. If I did I'd be in the dark, most likely trying to disconnect anything of value from the mains.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:00:27 am by labjr »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Newest Pace ADS200 station (tempting durability, and just over $200)
« Reply #714 on: August 14, 2018, 07:20:53 am »
I personally wouldn't change to an switch mode without a linear post regulator due to noise concerns.

Have a look at Recom DC to DC converters they have low noise replacements for the 7805.
This is the one I was looking at (for another application) but they do them in higher input voltages as well.

R-785.0-0.5
https://mouser.com/datasheet/2/468/R-78xx-0.5-958374.pdf
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Supporter
« Reply #715 on: August 14, 2018, 11:56:08 am »

Trivia:
This Pace is so dedicated, it works during severe brown-outs.. in fact, it can solder at 33% of normal mains  :-DD

I don't see how that's a selling point. I've never experienced a brown-out while soldering. If I did I'd be in the dark, most likely trying to disconnect anything of value from the mains.
That was humor (based on Vin/Vout that 7805 has to drop..)  ;)

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #716 on: August 14, 2018, 01:18:31 pm »
Wow, did treez design that thing? Looks almost improvised.

• Supporter
« Reply #717 on: August 14, 2018, 02:31:01 pm »
Wow, did treez design that thing? Looks almost improvised.
That's a compliment.. isn't he due to finish primary school soon?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Supporter
« Reply #718 on: September 01, 2018, 02:51:04 am »
Testing driving 1.3 firmware today, display update's smooth (no more hi-lo or too fast to read stuff). I can clearly read overshoot-undershoot values, but even soaked sponge-dunking, it's not off by more by 12c during a 2 second recovery.

The following users thanked this post: Shock, Bud

• Supporter
« Reply #719 on: September 06, 2018, 01:11:43 pm »
Update. During the last week I caught a glimpse of chatter between beta testers and responsiveness of the software team. I even had a nit-pick over ISB wake-up and Pace included that too. I don't know when I'll receive my next PLCC, but they do listen  :-+

The following users thanked this post: PACE-Worldwide

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #720 on: September 06, 2018, 02:32:48 pm »
Update. During the last week I caught a glimpse of chatter between beta testers and responsiveness of the software team. I even had a nit-pick over ISB wake-up and Pace included that too. I don't know when I'll receive my next PLCC, but they do listen  :-+

Cliff,

They'll be an update probably by early next week, so you should receive a new PLCC Chip (and chip puller) by the week after.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #721 on: September 11, 2018, 08:18:29 pm »

Cliff,

They'll be an update probably by early next week, so you should receive a new PLCC Chip (and chip puller) by the week after.

Aaron
Aaron I'm not so concerned for that update.. I am more concerned for Pace families braving the arrival of Hurricane Florence!
Please take care down there!

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #722 on: September 12, 2018, 06:17:38 pm »
@PACE-Worldwide
When you guys will ship the product that includes this update to distributors? Is it another couple months?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline PACE-Worldwide

• Regular Contributor
    • PACE Worldwide Website
« Reply #723 on: September 13, 2018, 05:30:24 am »
@PACE-Worldwide
When you guys will ship the product that includes this update to distributors? Is it another couple months?

Distributors are notified and provided with new chips when the updates are officially released. But I'll post a notice here with instructions on how to obtain an update firmware revision (which are provided to existing customers free of charge), probably next week.

Aaron

The following users thanked this post: Bud, Cliff Matthews

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #724 on: September 13, 2018, 05:51:25 am »
Honestly i do not believe many distributors would enthusiastically open hundreds of boxes and change the firmware chips, unless they are maybe obligated to do so by contract with Pace.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf