Author Topic: PCB manufacture  (Read 1841 times)

Offline tristan PCBTopic starter

PCB manufacture
« on: December 13, 2018, 02:50:26 pm »
Hi, I'm Tristan, I'm a PCB manufacturer, I'm also learning PCB design and I'm an electronics enthusiast. Recently, I have been thinking about how do you choose PCB suppliers?I want to try to do that. Suggestions are welcome

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
Re: PCB manufacture
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 03:02:39 pm »
I rely a lot on how well the manufacturer is known. Do other makers talk about it? Is it mentioned in forums (other than by obvious spammers)? Does it have easy automated on-line ordering? (If a PCB manufacturer doesn't have on-line ordering, I don't even consider them. I don't want to have to contact a salesman to get a price.)

There are so many Chinese manufacturers, many of them using the same factories, many of them with similar prices, all of them producing quality sufficient to my needs, that to be honest I don't see a compelling reason to try one I haven't heard of.

That might not be what you wanted to hear.

- Bob

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 03:13:04 pm »
Bob, I think you are right. Thank you for your advice.I will do my job well in a down-to-earth manner, and I think I am joining alibaba online store to have online ordering methods

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:17:10 am »
I rely a lot on how well the manufacturer is known. Do other makers talk about it? Is it mentioned in forums (other than by obvious spammers)? Does it have easy automated on-line ordering? (If a PCB manufacturer doesn't have on-line ordering, I don't even consider them. I don't want to have to contact a salesman to get a price.)

There are so many Chinese manufacturers, many of them using the same factories, many of them with similar prices, all of them producing quality sufficient to my needs, that to be honest I don't see a compelling reason to try one I haven't heard of.

- Bob

I pretty much ignore the noise that is in forums, and especially ignore 3rd party pricing engines, particually ones that take advertising revenue from pcb manufacturers. Its impossible to tell if the y are biased or not.   

On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 12:43:06 pm »
Cute. (For those not aware of the subtext, Mr. Packethead appears to be referring to PCBShopper, because he knows I run it.)

The following is written with the intent to be non-confrontational and sincerely concerned about your misgivings.  I hope that's reflected in my tone.

IIRC, you've asked me about bias a few times, and I thought I had given satisfactory answers. Apparently I have not. Please, could you tell me just what bias you think PCBShopper might be exhibiting? Do you doubt the prices that are displayed in the price list? Do you doubt my choice of manufacturers that appear in the list? Do you doubt the authenticity of the reviews on the site? Or is it something else?

- Bob Alexander
  PCBShopper.com

The following users thanked this post: DTJ

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 01:37:33 pm »
IIRC, you've asked me about bias a few times, and I thought I had given satisfactory answers. Apparently I have not. Please, could you tell me just what bias you think PCBShopper might be exhibiting? Do you doubt the prices that are displayed in the price list? Do you doubt my choice of manufacturers that appear in the list? Do you doubt the authenticity of the reviews on the site? Or is it something else?
"
What i said was "Its impossible to tell if they are biased or not."    It is you assuming that I think bias is applied.  I just know from expereince that when money is involved, bias is often ( intentionally or non intentionally ) applied.    There was a very high profile case recently with the Hotel comparison web site Trivago.       Just like most of the internet, I can't tell if its correct or not.   I can't tell if the reviews are real, as i have no way to determine their validity.    If i provided a review of a company, to your website, you have no way to tell if its correct either.

The only way I can truly judge where i'll buy my PCB from is by trying out companies and judging it on my own experiences.  For some situations I can use a recommendation from a trusted 3rd party, but that is a trust relationship that is built up on my experience with them as well.   
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline rea5245

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 01:45:30 pm »
I can certainly understand if you're suspicious of the reviews. But that doesn't reflect on the accuracy of the price comparison feature.

Also, reviews can be suspicious regardless of whether a site accepts paid advertising.

- Bob

Offline Slow Poke

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 03:17:23 am »
Hi, I'm Tristan, I'm a PCB manufacturer, I'm also learning PCB design and I'm an electronics enthusiast. Recently, I have been thinking about how do you choose PCB suppliers?I want to try to do that. Suggestions are welcome

Almost everyone seeks a known vendor with top quality.  That's easy to find among Chinese PCB houses and, at higher cost, in the USA, Europe, etc.

PCB's not being expensive really, price might be the 3rd thing a prospective customer evaluates when new to the industry.  Usually a number of vendors become favorites; then the one with the best price wins the current job.

To go outside that circle of trust is a huge risk, so how can you establish yourself?  Consistent top quality is a prerequisite - field is very competitive.  Reliably f-a-s-t turnaround is much appreciated.  JLCPCB offers very very low prices for a first order - given their good rep, a powerful draw.  Little premiums like a disposable pen or popcorn delivered with the order can make you stand out - if you can make 'em smile, you have captured their attention!

To wit:  Cost of entry is high, equipment and chemicals - unless you're prepared for that the going will be slow.  Marketing is King.  Deliver top performance or....  Now look around  --> see the quality of web site you must have to play.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 03:21:43 am by Slow Poke »

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 03:48:01 am »
Wow, I've learned a lot,thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf