Author Topic: Performance of reflowOvenController by 0xPIT  (Read 2180 times)

Offline suspensionTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Performance of reflowOvenController by 0xPIT
« on: October 22, 2018, 05:37:46 am »
Hi all,

I need to build a reflow oven but dont want to spend a lot at this stage because I am not sure if I will ever use it. I have seen many DIY kits/plans, on the Internet, but they all are too expensive except the one described here: https://github.com/0xPIT/reflowOvenController. Most of the parts of this project can be purchased as a kit from here: https://www.tindie.com/products/0xPIT/reflow-oven-controller-motherboard-for-arduino-pro-micro/ for around $15! There is good documentation also.

Does any one here has any experience in building and using this kit?

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
Re: Performance of reflowOvenController by 0xPIT
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 06:59:13 am »
Most of the parts of this project can be purchased as a kit from here: https://www.tindie.com/products/0xPIT/reflow-oven-controller-motherboard-for-arduino-pro-micro/ for around $15!

$15 is just for the PCB, despite the fact the picture shows a kit. Sold out since 2015, so you probably will need to get your own PCB made as well as source the components. Things change over 3 years, so it's quite likely some things will be out of date.

I'm currently adapting a T962, I will have a further look into using this 0xPIT controller when I have more time.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 07:58:56 pm »
As I feared, the SSR part no S202S01F is discontinued, I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline zero9

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »
I am looking right now to get some PID controller for reflow owen. But recent searches shows, that many products are discontinued by now.
Does anyone have something to offer?

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 07:41:30 pm »
I've been working on this problem too, and find most of the toaster oven DIY controllers and kits to be much more money and effort than I want to expend for something I will use rarely, and never for production.  But I found a Youtube video by Andreas Spiess showing the manual control of the oven based on the critical placement of a thermocouple display thermometer.  With no need for a controller, SS relay, etc., there would be essentially no work, and it would only cost about $40-45 depending on which oven you get.

But my impression of even the controlled ovens is that these IR boxes are a bit risky.  And it seems there is a large school of thought that the way to do this is with a hotplate.  You could control it the same way as the Spiess oven, but a hotplate appears to be more forgiving, and less likely to toast your board.  And I guess you could actually fix tombstones in real time.

I'm still going back and forth on these options, but think I will order the cheap thermocouple anyway.

My understanding for leaded solder paste is that basically you warm the board up to the soak stage (180C or 350F) and keep it there for a couple minutes so everything gets to that temperature.  Then you take it up quickly to reflow temperature (220C or 425F), and keep it there while reflow occurs,  Then you cool it down - not too slow, not too fast.  I guess I don't see why this should require a controller if you you're sitting there looking at the temperature display, but I may find out why the first time I try it.

I should also say that the cheap Chinese IR commercial ovens are available for about $185, but the reviews are not favorable, and there's a list of five mods needed to make them workable.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 06:12:02 am »
Hotplate method works untill you have things with larger thermal mass's that you are trying to get attached.  ( such as a inductor, or even some larger transistors etc ).    By the time you have those warm enough other parts of hte board will be cooked.  Gets harder with 4 layer boards with power planes,

And of course if you want to go double sided placement....
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf