Author Topic: Best low-ish cost PCB assembly house with BGA capability  (Read 6777 times)

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Re: Best low-ish cost PCB assembly house with
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 04:45:49 am »
Why is everyone always so convinced double sided needs glue? It doesn't, glue is used when heavy components are on the bottom reflow side, or to hold surface mount parts in place when going through flow waver soldering.

Becuase they dont' know any better.

"A constant of approximately 0.0269 g/mm2 represented the
ratio at which a molten SAC305 solder joints failed to hold
a QFN on the bottom side of a PCB during reflow, as a
function of component mass versus total perimeter of wetted
surface. Applying a 20% failure buffer to this value
produced an average failure ratio of 0.0215"

http://www.circuitinsight.com/pdf/weight_limit_qfn_smta.pdf
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Re: Best low-ish cost PCB assembly house with BGA capability
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 10:41:12 pm »
I have a board with a Zynq + DDR3 memory BGA devices that I'm looking to get prototyped.  Sadly, the prototyping costs so far have been eye-watering.  Almost £900 in the UK and ~$1200 USD from a US manufacturer, per board, and that is before the parts cost or PCB.

The board has two BGA devices, a couple of QFN devices, various TSSOP/QFN parts, and about 500 SMD passives 0402 - 1206 in size. It is a double sided load, made necessary by the FPGA/SoC decoupling.

I had thought about doing it in house, but this would be my first BGA layout, and the Zynq will be difficult to get right. At £60 per FPGA, too, it's not something I can really afford to throw away until it is right. Difficulty in inspecting the solder balls and determining if a fault is related to design or soldering is also a concern, so professional assembly here is attractive.

Input appreciated, especially from anyone who has had success with a given assembly house.

Try getting a quote from PCBWAY
They end up always being the cheaper / 2nd cheaper assembly in low quantities (I manufacture weird equipment in small batches).
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Re: Best low-ish cost PCB assembly house with BGA capability
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 08:30:46 am »
JLCPCB quoted me ~£130 for 5 copies of a 6" x 7" 6-layer PCB.  Very impressive price.  I decided to go with 6 layers instead of 4 to give the DDR memory bus the greatest chance of working well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf