Author Topic: Securing battery ribbon  (Read 3311 times)

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Securing battery ribbon
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:50:52 am »
Hi Guys :)
Is there some proper way to secure battery ribbon to an enclosure or PCB?
Preferably PCB to keep it hidden. I might have to make a few of these.
I imagine superglue will come loose with time and exposure to moisture in the air.

I have tried gel acrylic solvent, but it doesn’t take to the ribbon at all, and I’m not sure what it’s made of.
A copper loop soldered onto a ground plane on the PCB might be possible, but then there’s also sewing a loop in the ribbon.
Cheers :)

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Securing battery ribbon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:02:43 am »
I had to think about what "battery ribbon" is.  I presume you mean the ribbon for ejection of batteries from a compartment/holder?
I've never designed that into anything myself, as most of my designs use rechargeable batteries, but I'd suggest a mechanical fastener.
Of the products I've seen, they are typically held between two plastic parts that screw together, maybe with a sewn/fused loop, or in one case actually moulded into the plastic (not sure how that was done).

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:17:40 am »
Yes, that’s it. The ribbon under the batteries in a compartment.
I don’t actually have any products with it to look at, but did notice Googling, there’s one way where the ribbon is just a loop
around the batteries with a tab, and the loop isn’t secured to the device at all. I suppose that is a fallback if I think of nothing better :D

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 11:50:40 am »
I've seen then "heat bonded" to near by plastic. My best guess is that the ribon is nylon(?) and it's melted into a stand off.

I'm not a fan of hot glue for anything other then prototyping - not that it doesn't bod well, just that you never know when someone will leave the product in a hot environment.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:23:19 pm »
I've seen then "heat bonded" to near by plastic. My best guess is that the ribon is nylon(?) and it's melted into a stand off.

Yep, that sounds right.   :-+

I don't like the loop around one of the batteries - they'll get lost, or put back on the wrong battery.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 12:29:08 pm »
Was never a fan of the ribbon battery "pop-er-outter".  Seems only to be used on 80's/90's devices where the battery tray was recessed too far into the enclosure.

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:47:23 pm »
Seems only to be used on 80's/90's devices where the battery tray was recessed too far into the enclosure.

Yes like this: http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/battery-holders-mounts/0489908/

Too late now, I love everything else about them. They lock together for multiples in series, are very secure, and good material, very heat resistant
but the recess is rediculous if you look at the side view.

The topic of the thread is almost embarrassing. I can think of plenty of ways to do one unit nicely, but for many, it’s hard.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:56:30 pm »
Talk to a company that does custom lanyards to get suitable ribbons made up with a stitched loop through a slotted hole in a small metal plate that has another hole for a retaining screw - tapped to fix to a PCB, or plain if its going to be held by a self-tapper into a plastic case boss.

You'll need to source the metal plates and liaise with the lanyard company what size/shape they need to be to suit their existing production line for attaching lanyard clips.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf