Author Topic: SMALLSMT Vision Placer Pick & Place machines  (Read 196238 times)

Offline SmallsmtTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: SMALLSMT Vision Placer Pick & Place machines
« Reply #450 on: November 21, 2018, 09:20:50 am »
Yes the software is common to all machines we make. You can use a copy to do offline preparations but need to use a second dongle if machine is operating parallel.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #451 on: November 21, 2018, 11:14:08 am »
Thank You Michael.

Offline kgbxyz

« Reply #452 on: November 22, 2018, 11:30:16 pm »
Thanks to all the participants for the comments.

By reading the thread, it is now clear to me what is the situation with Chinese SMT machines (Neoden, Charmhigh, Xjyingxing, etc. and unfortunately Smallsmt/Yuchengtech).

Taking into account the fact that we can not build a castle from the crap, I have a question in my mind. Namely, why can not work Open-source hardware approach in practice? We have created a lot of things in the West over the last centuries. Unlike the Chinese, what is that we do not know? (not video editing, photoshopping, etc.)
OK. it is the world's second largest economy by nominal GDP, and labor is inexpensive. Apart from this, what makes it possible for them to produce so cheaply, but we can not? I apologize for the off-topic question.

I just write the above, because this topic has started more than 2 years ago. This time for a professional would have been abundant enough to build a really good machine, write the software and test it. Not to mention if that this is done in teamwork.
Apart from some semi-finished work, there is no opensource solution currently available on this topic. In other words, can a good machine be opensource or it is conceivable only as a commercially available product?

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #453 on: November 23, 2018, 01:42:39 am »
It was worlds largest economy just prior to industrial revolution.
Industrial revolution simply produced harder steel, bigger bombs, more potent drugs in support of bigger and stronger empires.
Ask any Chinese what they think of the the destruction of their nation brought about by Opium wars and gunboat diplomacy.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #454 on: November 23, 2018, 08:55:51 am »
By reading the thread, it is now clear to me what is the situation with Chinese SMT machines.
I have a question in my mind.
Namely, why can not work Open-source hardware approach in practice? We have created a lot of things in the West over the last centuries. Unlike the Chinese, what is that we do not know?
two questions two personal answers:

-Open source be it hw or sw is a filantropic thought that works in societies where the salaries are good/great, a worker can have free spare time to work on it and have hobbies and the subject serves no or small economic interest for companies.
Example after WW2 my country was only in a built up and restore the country mode with 6 workdays almost no holidays and low wages. Today we work 5 days or less in parttime have enough salary to cope with that and have 35-40 holidays a year. China is just leaving the built up state IMO where almost anybody still works long days and need to make enough money to live.
In our society OS does work, I am building an OS HW CNC machine, still costs $9000+ so it never said that OS is cheap. Also look at OpenPNP for OS SW, if more people would contribute it would even be further ahead. But OS is luxury something the chinese are not yet ready for, hell they even scratch the surface of the ics to prevent their neighboor from copying the design.

-What we here in the West do not do is create thousands of small businesses and government support them by providing cheap rent housing in industryparks. Yes we have one person businesses which are often only consultants or it jobs related, only brainpower not creating hands. We have almost no single or two person businesses making small machines and then hundred a year. Perhaps because we do not have hundreds of small businesses that need them. We have a few large companies that will place parts on pcbs , they serve big companies and charge abundant so they can pay their parttime holiday enjoying employees and their expensive machinepark and high rent.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:59:22 am by Kjelt »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #455 on: November 23, 2018, 09:46:58 am »
Namely, why can not work Open-source hardware approach in practice?

Because it's a small market, complicated machines and software, high development costs so why should a company do and open HW / SW design???

Why do people think they get everything for free?
Who pay for our work?

The people who buy these machines never spend money for a professional machine.
This is not our market.

How many developers working on OpenPNP software and how many people using it?
But most of the users do not share the work on the open source projects.

Regards
Michael

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #456 on: November 23, 2018, 10:59:44 am »
Namely, why can not work Open-source hardware approach in practice?

Because it's a small market, complicated machines and software, high development costs so why should a company do and open HW / SW design???

Why do people think they get everything for free?
Who pay for our work?

The people who buy these machines never spend money for a professional machine.
This is not our market.

How many developers working on OpenPNP software and how many people using it?
But most of the users do not share the work on the open source projects.

Regards
Michael
Exactly. There simply aren't enough people interested. OpenPnP is essentially a one-man project. And the software is the easy part. 
A few people are looking at feeders with 3d printed parts but not sure if anyone has made serious progress.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #457 on: November 23, 2018, 11:23:49 am »
And the prices need to be what they are simply because the cost of a liter of petrol is what it is.. and more importantly a loaf of bread is what it is.
And so in order to be able to afford bread and petrol the developers have to be paid a decent wage...just like you and all the people around you.
Otherwise the sacher torte will no longer be available to the Viennese and the Danube will no longer be blue.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #458 on: November 23, 2018, 09:53:58 pm »
Anyone that struggles to understand the costs involved in producing a low-volume P&P and developing an effective assembly line has a lot to learn before they should expect success in this area.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #459 on: November 23, 2018, 10:35:02 pm »
Anyone that struggles to understand the costs involved in producing a low-volume P&P and developing an effective assembly line has a lot to learn before they should expect success in this area.

**[irony - sarcasm]***
But the dream is still alive and strong.   Its just a few stepper motors and and ardunio surely?
**[/irony - sarcam]***
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:12:41 am by mrpackethead »
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #460 on: November 25, 2018, 08:58:38 am »

But the dream is still alive and strong.   Its just a few stepper motors and and ardunio surely?

Well good for you for volunteering, when will you be presenting your first open source PnP machine to the world?

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #461 on: November 25, 2018, 10:37:30 am »
Simon, I think you missed a tongue planted firmly in a cheek there...

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #462 on: November 25, 2018, 10:44:55 am »
yea, I did wonder about that after posting but decided I didn't mind being put right as you have.

Offline aandrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #463 on: November 28, 2018, 04:13:39 am »
4/ Recognise that the software is possibly the most important part. I suggest you engage with openpnp and make your entry level machine fully compatible with that, or find a developer who can contribute your input to that project to ensure it works with what you offer. If you can do this you might just find the maker community want to embrace your machine.

This is the single biggest thing smallsmt can possibly do to win over a large customer base.

Make your machine 100% compatible with openpnp. Give them the protocol specs, or better yet, hire an OSS dev to add (and maintain!) support for your product lines in openpnp.

This will be a big cost savings to you, and really stand out in this area.

I too am a potential customer. I'm tired of trying to work with assembly houses for smallish prototype runs. It'd be so much easier to roll my own, so to speak. I'd love to see blog entries about setting up a machine (what it needs, how to tune, common issues and how to resolve them, etc.). I'd like to see comparisons between your low, mid and high end models (is it simply number of heads and speed, or do the  high end models also have better accuracy/repeatibility?)

Lots of things for me to learn, but making your system "just work" with openpnp would be a huge, huge bonus for someone like me.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #464 on: November 28, 2018, 06:14:52 am »
4/ Recognise that the software is possibly the most important part. I suggest you engage with openpnp and make your entry level machine fully compatible with that, or find a developer who can contribute your input to that project to ensure it works with what you offer. If you can do this you might just find the maker community want to embrace your machine.

This is the single biggest thing smallsmt can possibly do to win over a large customer base.

Make your machine 100% compatible with openpnp. Give them the protocol specs, or better yet, hire an OSS dev to add (and maintain!) support for your product lines in openpnp.

I too am a potential customer. I'm tired of trying to work with assembly houses for smallish prototype runs. It'd be so much easier to roll my own, so to speak. I'd love to see blog entries about setting up a machine (what it needs, how to tune, common issues and how to resolve them, etc.). I'd like to see comparisons between your low, mid and high end models (is it simply number of heads and speed, or do the  high end models also have better accuracy/repeatibility?)

Lots of things for me to learn, but making your system "just work" with openpnp would be a huge, huge bonus for someone like me.

SmallSMT has a large team of developers and engineering staff ( Micheal described his team to me, when i was contemplating buying a machine from him ) so, it shoud'tn be too hard.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Gary.M

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #465 on: November 28, 2018, 06:38:39 am »
I think the Chinese use their software as a fence around their hardware design. Scared that if the two are not tied together someone will just copy their hardware and takeaway their place in the market. This is a barrier to progress, particularly at the affordable entry level. I don't believe they think in a way that would let them do anything else.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #466 on: November 28, 2018, 07:27:34 am »
Fact is if someone wants to copy it they will. So either they have really hot software that everyone wants and in some way cannot be copied (impossible?) or they do as suggested and make good hardware that everyone know's how to drive making them the defacto machine. I have contemplated what it would be like having my own machine and for the moment will leave it to assembly houses.

Offline Gary.M

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #467 on: November 28, 2018, 08:01:02 am »
Fact is if someone wants to copy it they will. So either they have really hot software that everyone wants and in some way cannot be copied (impossible?) or they do as suggested and make good hardware that everyone know's how to drive making them the defacto machine. I have contemplated what it would be like having my own machine and for the moment will leave it to assembly houses.
Following the work being done to try to reverse engineer the software for the Charmhigh Chmt36v and then to make it work with Openpnp would suggest otherwise.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #468 on: November 28, 2018, 08:04:05 am »

You assume that OpenPNP is a usable software solution.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #469 on: November 28, 2018, 08:11:28 am »
isn't it?

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #470 on: November 28, 2018, 08:14:38 am »
I think the Chinese use their software as a fence around their hardware design. Scared that if the two are not tied together someone will just copy their hardware and takeaway their place in the market.
You can abstract and create the glue layer between OpenPNP and the machine in such a way that it does not run on other machines, eg you give the customer the choice to use the companies software or the OpenPNP software. But as SmallSMT already hints at, OpenPNP is far from a mature P&P software. Look at the technical debt on their website and you realize quickly this is far from reliable, perhaps usable for hobbyists but not for a company that depends on a timeboxed finished product IMO.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #471 on: November 28, 2018, 08:15:36 am »
isn't it?
Not for companies. Look at their technical debt and the timeperiod they tackle and solve it, if your bug is being fixed within a year you are lucky.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #472 on: November 28, 2018, 08:17:32 am »
Yep, that is why i bought a commercial E-CAD solution, in the hope that I would not be at the mercy of hobbyists.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #473 on: November 28, 2018, 08:26:00 am »
isn't it?
Not for companies. Look at their technical debt and the timeperiod they tackle and solve it, if your bug is being fixed within a year you are lucky.
The whole point is that with OS, you can solve problems yourself, and adapt it to your needs if you want.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #474 on: November 28, 2018, 08:40:24 am »
"You can solve problems yourself" now and move on. No need to wait for the manufacturer's new revision. Horses for courses.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf