Author Topic: Software to design Robot Chassis  (Read 4606 times)

Offline praveen_khmTopic starter

• Contributor
Software to design Robot Chassis
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:09:11 pm »
Hi,

I am designing a robot chassis in aluminum. The chassis consist of 6 aluminum pieces put together to make a rectangular box with holes  for motor and other holes to screw them together. I have tried it in cardboard and it seems ok. Now, the manufacturer has asked to make a CAD drawing of it and send it.

Now for the question, which software helps me do this? I have heard of google sketchup and Autocad inventor. Do they help me do what I need? Since I am very new and fresh to CAD software, I am willing to learn any new software if it pays off in a long run. Since I need to give  them details of screw hole sizes, motor mount holes, I need a software which can show me how it looks when I assemble all the 6 pieces together and also if possible add motor and wheels to see how it feels  before sending for manufacturing.

On the other hand, I can ask a trained person to make this for me, but I have that urge to learn that and do it myself. I know it may be difficult, but I am keen on learning.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Praveen

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Software to design Robot Chassis
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:49:52 pm »
If it's just a rectangular aluminum box with motors, why not just buy one?

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/category.aspx/robot-kits-standard-wheels/51/

Offline praveen_khmTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »
Well, I am planning to make and sell this, but not buy it.

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:49:54 pm »
Well, I am planning to make and sell this, but not buy it.

I'd start by asking around at places that could laser cut or CNC the final chassis for you. Considering it's such a simple design they might be able to do it for you, for a fee.

EDIT:// There's nothing wrong with using SketchUp to hammer out a rough idea of what you want to make but if you're going to have these made you're going to need the necessary gcode files for the CNC to cut out your parts. If you really want to get your hands dirty in this then you will most likely need to buy and learn a program like Solidworks.

Since the design is so simple, you're most likely better off outsourcing this to someone. A fabrication shop should either be able to do all of this for you, or suggest someone who can help you out.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:31:46 pm by Pack34 »

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:29:47 am »
Google Sketchup is good and free. In the professional world Solidworks or Autodesk is often used.

When you draw the parts remember that you should be able to both draw the 3D drawing and then create a 2D drawing of each part that needs to be manufactured (can skethcup do this??).

If you use a manufacturer that you can work with they can often figure out (or ask you) about how to build and tolerance your parts. If you use a generic contract manufacturer (for example mfg.com) then you will need to have all of your tolerances and drawings correct and complete.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline daedalus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 11:32:14 pm »
sketchup is pretty basic, its not designed for engineering drawings. If its a one off job, then get some paper and a ruler, and draw out a good set of drawings for each face, and a sketch explaining how they go together. Hand this to your manufacturer, then pay them for a couple of hrs work and get them to model it in cad. Any half decent cad package costs lots of money, and takes time to learn.

As an engineer I would always prefer a good concept sketch to badly modelled cad files from a novice. Also if your manufacturer is worth their salt they will probably suggest improvements as they are doing this, where as if you send finished cad files the temptation is to make the parts "as-is", even if they can be made cheaper with a small tweak.

If you want to sell this, its also probably worth getting at least a few hours consultancy from a mechanical engineer, to go through the whole design (not just the chassis), and advise you how to make it in a cost effective way.

EDIT: one other option that might suit you better, is if you can sketch your sheet metal faces in your electronics package, and export a dxf that is easy enough to import into 3d cad
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:47:01 pm by daedalus »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 12:05:10 am »
You absolutely need Catia ! That is one kick-ass CAD program.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:30:53 pm »
Solidworks is the best of all and also the easiest as far as I know. However, If you don't want to buy it nor use it, you can use Autodesk 123D Design. It is a free software that is the low end version of Inventor... Autodesk made it to be good and free alternative I guess.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf