Author Topic: Tell here what you dont like about what engeneers do in engeneering!  (Read 1587 times)

Offline thunderbunyTopic starter

• Contributor
This is a threat were you can put all stuff you dont like or hate about you can buy it in a store engeneering.What i dont like in engenneering is why why WHY!  have a double sided board and onley solder the bottom but not the top!
or put 0.75mm2 cable on a 200 watt rms output or worse 1.5mm2 on a 2kw output etc etc.
why do you want to save a few frikking cents on that?  :-//
Do they really care about if i whont buy it when instead of 500 bucks it's 501 or 2 or 3 bucks!  :palm:
Jeez it is what it is and it cost what it cost.
Dont make great design but save on the electronics part!
and yes i know 1 cent on a million devices is big but that 1 cent ppl will pay for it!
be smart make it good!
greets Davy
ohhhhhh and i hate components thate are not placed correctly on all boards i solder you will find all is perfect and straight!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:14:40 pm by thunderbuny »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Tell here what you dont like about what engeneers do in engeneering!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 11:32:13 pm »
This is a threat were you can put all stuff you dont like or hate about you can buy it in a store engeneering.What i dont like in engenneering is why why WHY!  have a double sided board and onley solder the bottom but not the top!
or put 0.75mm2 cable on a 200 watt rms output or worse 1.5mm2 on a 2kw output etc etc.
why do you want to save a few frikking cents on that?  :-//
Do they really care about if i whont buy it when instead of 500 bucks it's 501 or 2 or 3 bucks!  :palm:
Jeez it is what it is and it cost what it cost.
Dont make great design but save on the electronics part!
and yes i know 1 cent on a million devices is big but that 1 cent ppl will pay for it!
be smart make it good!
greets Davy

ohhhhhh and i hate components thate are not placed correctly on all boards i solder you will find all is perfect and straight!

One place I worked made vehicle simulators.
For some reason,they insisted upon using automotive interconnecting wire to connect between the peripherals & the main board,although they were  only carrying a few mA at most.
This stuff was hard to solder to PCBs,made for thick,clunky,bundled cable forms,& so on.

And,why do some Engineers have this fetish for miniaturisation,even when all the other associated components are large?
A Pye TV transmitter used extremely small HT rectifier devices,which had an operating life in the order of months.
We were going through them so fast that at one point we were considering sending someone to the supplier in the UK
to bring back a suitcase full.

NEC use big,clunky ,rectifiers with lifetimes measured in decades.

I don't care if the components are a bit untidy looking,as long as they are solidly soldered in place.

In another life,I had a lot to do with maintenance of TV Picture Monitors.
Sony boards looked "as rough as guts",yet their Monitors very seldom gave trouble.
Barco boards were beautiful,but they were much  more unreliable.

They also made the "Thru-holes" in their boards so small that leads were virtually "jammed" in place.
Removing components without damaging tracks was a "fine art".

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:45:17 am by vk6zgo »

Offline thunderbunyTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Tell here what you dont like about what engeneers do in engeneering!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 03:46:58 pm »
Lol the first time i got a real job in electronics i was a noob, Could onley build kits when work great when not working i had no clue.
And in to the trash, Could no do trouble schooting, I had to build a prototype board and few hours later i saw the board and it was raped! ic pins out of feet cables dodged on it etc. I was like WTF! :wtf: but i did get a comment they loved it to have a board were everything was nice and straight it helps to get a good view on it.
Greets Davy
PS. We build gas flow meters calorie meter foam meters etc mostly used in chemical plants and university's
can still remember 1 meter from hell when ppl used it they got a static schock! they tried rubber mats erth and so and so one it was one huge mystery why that happend as no other device had that problem.
i never want to make custom ovens again used kevlar tube with thick walls and in there you had to put heater in those kevlar things were 2K a piece and  count windings every 13  and put it thru the kevlar then start all over, one slip in consentration or crack the kevlar and bye bye 2K oven! ARRRRG!!!!! :--not nice when it's a company with 10 ppl working and you have to tell boss hey i just broke 2 or 3 some there even broke more lol  :palm:
it was a dutch company called annatec and i just said as it was that i had no education but just hobby he hired me and there is were i learned a lot!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:13:30 pm by thunderbuny »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf