Author Topic: Tool for melting nylon spacers  (Read 2476 times)

Offline slxTopic starter

Tool for melting nylon spacers
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:14:39 am »
Hi, I am looking for a tool to melt tip of nylon spacers for mounting PCB. How it is called? Is it at all flattened hot or cold? And is it even using standard nylon spacers or special one?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Tool for melting nylon spacers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:09:35 am »
Welcome to the forum,

Most nylon spacers come with either screw holes or push-in clips on the end to fit into the right size hole.

If you actully need to melt the end then the normal 'accidental' method is a soldering iron, but this is messy and smelly. I recomment a small strip of brass or copper that you can press on the spacer end and heat the back with a soldering iron, this would give better heat control.
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: slx

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:12 am »
Google heat stake process. You can do it with a soldering iron with a proper tip and low temperature.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:27:19 am »
Search for "hot knife". Also you can get a cutting tips for some low cost soldering irons. Dave had a similar gadget in one of his 'recent' mailbags, whichI think was mainly advertised as 3d printing rework tool.
Have a look at Dremel VersaTip Corded Tool Kit (not the gas version).

Offline slxTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:27 am »
Thanks for all replies. I should mention that it is for production in company and end effect should look nice. It would be used for many products, so the best it should take shortest time possible for workers to make one of this blobs. The proffesional machines like this looks very good, but the prices are too high ($1000+). As I read about the heat stake process it is quite complicated (proper temperature, time of melting, forming and cooling). Maybe someone known other company manufacturing this kind of machines or hand tools with lower prices, something to $100.

But also it is not very crucial, we currently use nuts, but main reason for trying to switch to a new method is (I think) lowering costs. The best would be a tip for soldering station (we have Wellers) but I not found any, big enaugh with concave. Also I am not sure if normal tip is suitable for this. I personnaly was used soldering station for plastic melting few times, but it was getting dirty after one usage and adhered remains smolded long time.

@mairo: I see no special tip for this in Dremel tool.

@Gyro: We use something like this.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 07:39:48 am »
JBC has special cartridges/tips for plastics. They have different shapes and coatings for different jobs.
Look for C245-052, C245-053 and C245-054 for examples of cartridges for heat staking pins.
I don't know if Weller has something similar.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf