Author Topic: Trying out JLC PCB prototype - ridiculously cheap  (Read 2951 times)

Online KL27xTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Trying out JLC PCB prototype - ridiculously cheap
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:34:10 pm »
Someone posted about this inexpensive service some months (years?) back. I decided to give it a try.

The website is way easier than some of the other sites I have used in the past. The only quirk I personally encountered was that the "payment" button remains blank even after the audit is finished until you actually refresh the page. So just like any other method, you pretty much have to keep an eye on your email to know when it has been accepted.

The price is ridiculous. I don't even get it. I can order ten small boards (under 2 square inches) for $2.00 US. And that includes free delivery. I don't get it.

I actually ordered two boards, and the second set of 10 was 5.00.

I chose a custom color for one to help differentiate them while testing/prototyping. The cost of the color red was 8.00, so that is more than the 7.00 it cost for the 20 small boards and the free shipping.

Then I ordered one of the parts for this board which I don't have on hand. 25 pieces of this single component was 30.00 with shipping, which is double the cost of the 20 boards.

The 5.00 board and the 2.00 board are the same dimensions. So I think the 2.00 thing is a loss leader or something? Because I'm a new customer, or what? 20 cents a board, delivered?

The board is tab routed with slots and needs to fit a housing that is yet to be designed. So I am worried that I didn't read the fine print (I didn't see much info on the website during the process) and this is not going to be routed, or something. Can anyone calm my nerves? I don't want to wait 2 weeks to find out I am not getting what I think I am.

Ne'ermind. I found another recent thread, and I figured out why it's so cheap. First time order is the reason for the 2.00 proto special and the free DHL shipping.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:54:10 am by KL27x »

• Super Contributor
Re: Trying out JLC PCB prototype - ridiculously cheap
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:53:31 pm »
ALLPCB/JLCPCB prices are only good for large qty over 50pc. their shipping policy says it like most typical TAOBAO shops, they jack it up real high to deter small volume buyers.

Thanks for this. I will give them a shot for the real order once the proto is verified. I like their website and their online forms and whatnot. The whole process was pretty slick.

I was trying to find a better way for prototyping than Seeed. Honestly, I don't like Seeed's site and ordering system. I don't order prototypes often enough that the process ever became automatic. I always have to read the directions and rules, and I don't like having to copy the order number over into the paypal payment. It feels too much like work, and there's enough of that getting the board and gerbers ready. With JLC, there was nothing to even read. Even the board dimensions are automatically calculated from the Gerber. (I put in the dimensions, manually, and I rounded up. This seems to be a fail-safe, because the dimensions listed were rounded down, must have been calculated directly from the Gerber) . There is no option for tab routing vs V score. When I was done, it felt too easy.

The quantity cost is what matters in the end, for me. The only reason I ever used Seeed was the proto cost for FPC. When it's 10x cheaper, it is worth the hassle.

*Edit: so an hour later, it crossed my mind that I may be mixing up Seeed with Itead. I have done business with both, and I may be mis-remembering which one is what. I seem to remember them both as a somewhat similar process.

free 3.5mil
I take it the "free" part is for multilayer boards, only. But good to know, nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:31:57 am by KL27x »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 01:39:51 am »
I ordered the parts from Mouser, standard shipping, one day after ordering the prototype PCB's from JLCPCB. The boards beat the parts to my door. I feel like I just entered the 21st century.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:03:20 am »
I ordered the parts from Mouser, standard shipping, one day after ordering the prototype PCB's from JLCPCB. The boards beat the parts to my door. I feel like I just entered the 21st century.

You shoudl have orderd the parts from LCSC and shipped them with the PCB
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:20:23 am »
Thanks. If I were going to buy these with assembly, I would for sure to check out LCSC for components. I have a strong feeling I will be testing their production service on this project. I'm a sucker for a good web interface and speedy turnaround. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf