Author Topic: UL recognized component - how to get listing?  (Read 3713 times)

Offline PinkusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
UL recognized component - how to get listing?
« on: May 16, 2018, 01:11:47 pm »
I need some help. A customer asks if a module (bare PCB with some active and passive electronics on it) we developed for him and which we are already producing, can be listed as a UL recognized component. To clarify: we are talking only about the PCB we are producing, not the whole system where it will be implemented by the customer).
I never had this request and to be honest, I have no idea what to do there. Btw: I am in Europe.
Would all electronic parts be listed at UL? (e.g. each chip, capacitor, resistor etc.)?
What if one chip does not come with a UL listing?`
How much costs would be expected to get a listing as a UL recognized component?
Are there annual costs connected with this or only one time costs?
etc. etc.
I appreciate all input which may lift the fog a bit.
Thanks!

Offline HHaase

• Regular Contributor
Re: UL recognized component - how to get listing?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:07 pm »
Need to submit it to a UL inspector for certification,  not something you can do yourself.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:33:11 pm »
Dave recently did a video, maybe he will chime in.

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:36:34 pm by tpowell1830 »
PEACE===>T

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 02:17:46 am »
I have no idea what to do there.
Start saving :) you need roughly 15-20K

Offline PinkusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:25:19 am »
I have no idea what to do there.
Start saving :) you need roughly 15-20K
WTF - 15K?  :scared:
I thought we would talk maybe of 3K or 4K, similar to a certified EMC lab.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 09:39:16 am »
It might be worth double checking exactly what it is they want.

If they're submitting the entire system for UL approval, it may well be that they just need the bare PCB itself to be a UL recognised component. This is perfectly normal, and most PCB manufacturers will already have the necessary approvals. You just need to put a note on your PCB drill drawing that shows the position for the mark, and an instruction for the manufacturer to add the UL Recognised Component ("UR") mark, along with the 94V-0 flammability rating, and their own logo or other mark to indicate the bare board supplier.

There's usually no additional cost to you for doing this. You just need to tell your PCB supplier that you require the marking and traceability, and if they can't do it, then switch to another PCB supplier who can.

If they want your whole PCB assembly to be a UL recognised component, then that's a can of worms. It will be expensive, and intrusive in terms of ongoing inspections and documentation. Saying 'no' might well be the right answer. Increasing your price substantially to cover your costs might be another good option.

In practical terms, UL are most concerned about fire. They'll insist on testing, or seeing test reports for, any parts of your board assembly which look like they could start a fire, or support combustion in the event that one breaks out elsewhere. Individual small electronic components are't really a concern, but you'll need to ensure any plastic coated wire or connectors are UL recognised, and that any power supplies have inherent limits on power output such that they can't start a fire in the event of a fault.

Offline ar__systems

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 04:25:17 pm »
UL is a bit of a racket... All they care about is that all of the components are also UL listed (duh). How they are connected no one cares. It should be obvious to anyone that it is not difficult to come up with a fire hazard circuit that is made of UL components. Often time fire hazard can be result of the f/w malfunction which no one looks at either.

Yes it is more expensive than EMC tests. EMC test is a one time thing, UL listing is an ongoing thing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 11:09:42 pm »
UL testing at least used to be fairly holistic, I remember an engineer I worked with talking about the UL certification process they went through for some kind of test gear they produced. The testing involved inducing various failures to ensure that the equipment didn't catch fire, and something that would break the CRT to test that the implosion was contained. I don't know when precisely that was, but he was an older fellow at the time so probably mid 80s.

Seems like UL only applies to mains powered gear too, I recall one reason external power bricks and wall warts became popular is that they could be a UL certified component and the powered equipment didn't have to be.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 11:27:46 pm »
Just find a local compliance test house and ask for a quote. They are the experts and will know what needs to be done and how to do it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf