Author Topic: Urgent: Please help me find an alternate turnkey board house  (Read 4061 times)

Offline RobKTopic starter

• Contributor
Urgent: Please help me find an alternate turnkey board house
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:17:17 pm »
Hi all,
I'm not a frequent poster to this forum but it's been a great resource to me over the years so I thought I'd post here for advice.

I started using PCBCart for all my direct-from-China PCB needs after Dave recommended them years ago. I know some have soured on PCBCart after they raised their prices, but the prices still seemed reasonable enough to me and I always found their work to be high quality and reliable. Well now I'm in a time crunch and PCBCart is quoting me 9 weeks on a board I need sooner. So I'm looking for an alternate manufacturer

The PCB I need has six layers and about 46 line items on the BOM. Here's the important thing: I need the PCB made, the parts procured, and all the parts assembled by the boardhouse (i.e. a turnkey service). I need a turn-time of three to four weeks and quantity of 300 assembled boards. There are several QFN packages on the board but no BGA's. I've attached a picture to give an idea of the complexity

Do any of you have an established history with a manufacturer such as this and been consistently happy with the results? I'm not looking for advice on where to get good prices on quick-turn prototype PCB's. I need someone who can provide cost effective and quality turnkey work. Handing over thousands of dollars to an unknown company in China always makes me nervous, so I'm hoping to get some advice so I'm not going in completely cold

Thanks and best wishes,
Rob

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
Re: Urgent: Please help me find an alternate turnkey board house
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:10:19 am »
I've been very pleased with turnkey assembly from Sierra Circuits: https://www.protoexpress.com/pcb-assembly

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:33:15 pm by MagicSmoker »

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:30 pm »
I've used MacroFab a couple of times, I think they'd be able to meet your deadline esp since you live in the states yourself. Maybe ask them?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 03:48:17 pm »
PCBway or Iteadstudio. i used them several times
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline RobKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 04:12:52 pm »
Hi all, Thanks for your responses. MagicSmoker - I've been working with Sierra Circuits for years and agree they do good work. Their "no-touch" service for bare boards is particularly good. However their prices are of course considerably higher than the direct-from-China manufacturer's. I'm still working on obtaining quotes and comparing lead times but will have to place an order by the end of the week

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 02:35:20 pm »
...However their prices are of course considerably higher than the direct-from-China manufacturer's. I'm still working on obtaining quotes and comparing lead times but will have to place an order by the end of the week

Hmmm - so you moved the goalposts, then? In the original post you said you were wary of handing over "thousands" to a Chinese assembly house and didn't think any of them would be able to meet the deadline, hence why I suggested Sierra Circuits. If you are going to go Chinese anyway then might as well use one of the established players like Elecrow or PCBWay or the like; they will likely do a good job of assembly, as far as soldering goes, but I'd still worry about the use of counterfeit or "factory reject" parts.

Offline sfcircuits

• San Francisco Circuits - PCB Manufacturing & Assembly.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 05:35:30 pm »
Hi Rob,

Obviously, I'm a little late in replying but take this for future reference if you've already moved forward with a boardhouse - there are several advertisers on EEVBlog. We're also one of them!

If you want to give us a shot to quote this or any other project for you, mention this post and someone should give you $100 off your first order: San Francisco Circuits

Everyone's favorite resource these days to find a new boardhouse is pcbshopper.

There's also a plethora of companies in the EEVblog wiki. That will probably be too overwhelming to go through, but at the top of the PCB Manufacturing wiki, you'll find several websites with reviews of some boardhouses. I actually contributed a few of those to the wiki a while back.

Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: alexanderbrevig

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf