Author Topic: USB connector auto planting. Does it work?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline alinpTopic starter

USB connector auto planting. Does it work?
« on: September 22, 2017, 10:19:28 am »
Using the following micro USB B Type Receptacle (http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/18/10118194AC-944303.pdf) would the stencil solder paste fill in the through holes for usual auto planting (pick&place) or would it not? 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:20:18 am by alinp »

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
Re: USB connector auto planting. Does it work?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:16:35 pm »
I solder these thru pins manually after reflow. I doubt you can put in enough solder paste that it would solder reliably during reflow (and not create bridges elsewhere in the process), so I didn't even make openings in the stencil for them. It takes just few seconds anyway.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:28:57 am »
Follow the 2 small paste apetures underneath it as per the datasheet, for flowing a bit more solder in them, i have extended the pads for those holes out from the footprint and having a full paste density for that pad where it was outside the part, just fair warning this did spray a few solder balls loose on about 5% of my last run, reducing the paste apeture would likely have put me in the clear.

Online 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:26:15 am »
Did mine with 4 through hole post, it works great and the bottom of boards also have the solder. No USB micro connector came off yet for 500 pieces of board. Soldering manual is okay if you have few boards and the residue left from hand soldering makes it look messy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf