Author Topic: Using KICAD....Help  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Big DuckTopic starter

Using KICAD....Help
« on: April 17, 2018, 10:44:13 pm »
I am brand new to Kicad. I used the footprint editor to create a footprint for a Bourns PTL series linear fader. I can not figure out how to put it in a library so I can use it on a layout of a board that I want to make.  The whole "library" thing is quite puzzling.
PLEASE HELP!!! 

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Using KICAD....Help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 04:19:42 pm »
The Kicad forum has a good FAQ on the library issues.
https://forum.kicad.info/t/faq-index-thread/8890

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 07:34:43 pm »
Do you read Spanish?
If so, here you have the best KiCad guide that has been ever written (in any languages):

http://elektroquark.com/forokicad/index.php?topic=4.0

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 07:58:31 pm »
I am brand new to Kicad. I used the footprint editor to create a footprint for a Bourns PTL series linear fader. I can not figure out how to put it in a library so I can use it on a layout of a board that I want to make.  The whole "library" thing is quite puzzling.
PLEASE HELP!!!
Don't worry, your not alone, every single CAD system out there has a confusing library system and they all take time to learn, unfortunatly unlike the drawing system itself there are no intuative standards. I am pretty stupid but got there in the end :)

Offline iabarry

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 02:59:50 am »
Sorry to be a month late with this...
In the FootPrintEditor:  File:  Set Active Library

Make the foot print you  want.

Edit the FootPrint Properties (menu item with a gear over and IC near the center top). Mostly this is verify the name.

In the graphical menu at the top, select the 2nd item:  Save Footprint in Active Lib

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 03:34:50 am »
Addition:
This is for the current KiCad V4.0.7.
In the soon to be released KiCad V5 the whole library system has been overhauled.

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 01:41:13 pm »
Addition:
In the soon to be released KiCad V5 the whole library system has been overhauled.

LOL...they are going to overhaul it again? I hope the changes give altium a run for its money (not that it does not already).

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 06:52:36 pm »
Addition:

LOL...they are going to overhaul it again? I hope the changes give altium a run for its money (not that it does not already).

The schematic libraries, which have remained pretty much the same for several years now, are being revamped to work more like the PCB libraries.

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 12:21:00 pm »
if I remember correctly, the schematic library makes a file and one big file. So if you have resistors library, all resistors go in one big file? if that is what they are changing, I am all for it. Also, they should change how schematics reference things. Instead, it should just make a local copy. Nothing sucks more than having someone change something in a shared library and having it resonate to an older design. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf