Author Topic: Vaccum-based fume extractors with HEPA filters  (Read 5294 times)

Offline jeremyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Vaccum-based fume extractors with HEPA filters
« on: April 13, 2018, 08:13:21 am »
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a fume extractor which contains a HEPA filter. At the moment, I am looking at the Hakko FA-430 or the Weller Zero Smog. Does anyone have one of these units, or a different one that they like?

Unfortunately both of them have a hefty Australia tax on them. For example, the Weller US model at mouser (EL Kit 1) -> AUD$900, AU model at e14 -> AUD$1500. It's almost worth buying a step down transformer just for this...

Thanks,
Jeremy

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Vaccum-based fume extractors with HEPA filters
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 08:18:12 am »
FWIW HEPA filter only absorbs particulate component of the soldering fumes. Activated carbon content is more important component of such filter as it absorbs toxic gases. Zero Smog is trademark, there are different models with different quality and capacity of filtering. Although any of them should be enough for hobby use..

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 08:29:09 am »
BTW it's strange that hakko is talking only about HEPA and not activated carbon on their website. Marketing, I guess. While in the datasheet they are saying there is activated carbon and even have 2x more expensive 999-245 filter with increased carbon content.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:30:01 am »
Thanks for your reply wraper. Yes, I am aware that HEPA is related to particulates. It seems the two types on the market are activated charcoal or activated charcoal+HEPA, so I didn’t mention that. But perhaps I should have.

Fwiw this is for professional use, but just for one soldering station (ie, me). The Weller unit I was looking at is this one: https://weller.de/en/Weller--Products--Product-details.html?article_id=D0879914001444750718A91

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 11:15:45 am »
In any case I would not recommend Hakko, it apparently has much lower amount of activated carbon in the filter compared to Weller. Therefore filter should wear out much sooner.  As of activated carbon without HEPA, I think those are crap desk standing fume extractors only. I don't know any such fume extractor with floor standing unit.

The following users thanked this post: jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 11:28:07 am »
Yes, I have one of those little desk standing ones which is basically just a computer fan and some activated charcoal. I’ve long been due for an upgrade.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 11:33:12 am »
I'd suggest trying to obtain a Quick 6101A1 (triple filter is a stack of dust pre-filter + activated charcoal + HEPA filters). Much more cost effective for hobbyists/small companies than the more well known brands.  :)

Newark/Farnell sells them here in the US for ~$360USD (here). It's not listed on au.element14.com, but I'd see if you can order it from the US site and have it shipped. Should definitely come in under the 1kAUD limit for imported goods and avoid GST.

Worst case, there are other sources you could try.Even if you need to get a step-down transformer for the US versions (120W draw), it'd still be less expensive than the Hakko or Weller units. The last 3 sources would allow you to get a 230V model if you'd rather skip the need for a step-down transformer.

Hope this helps, and good luck.  :)

The following users thanked this post: jeremy

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:22:23 pm »
In any case I would not recommend Hakko, it apparently has much lower amount of activated carbon in the filter compared to Weller. Therefore filter should wear out much sooner.  As of activated carbon without HEPA, I think those are crap desk standing fume extractors only. I don't know any such fume extractor with floor standing unit.

Keep in mind that once exposed to air, activated carbon has a limited life; I see anywhere from 2-6 months. So if you don't use it much, having higher carbon content would be a waste.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:15:55 pm »
Keep in mind that once exposed to air, activated carbon has a limited life; I see anywhere from 2-6 months. So if you don't use it much, having higher carbon content would be a waste.
No it won't. For that to happen without fan pushing air through the filter, air should be so polluted that you'll soon die by inhaling it. it's not a few mm thick filter completely exposed to outside.
http://www.activatedcarbon.com.au/faqs.htm#5
What is the shelf life of activated carbon?
A4. Activated carbon has no shelf life. It will keep its pore structure and, hence, its adsorption characteristics until the activated carbon is put in contact with compounds that can be adsorbed. We recommend keeping it dry, separate from volatile organic chemicals and secure from rodent attacks.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:28:20 pm by wraper »

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 04:22:47 pm »
It appears there are conflicting answers between companies. I'm going to ask the chemists at work if they have publications stating one way or the other.

https://www.airscience.com/carbon-filters
Humidity
Relative humidity is an important factor that can affect the efficiency of the filter.
The molecules of gases with low boiling points will be less adsorbed, because the molecules of the water vapor will be adsorbed in their place, leaving less free surface in the pores for the gas molecules to impact the carbon.

Filter Age
Normally the filter, if not properly stored before use, becomes less efficient with time because of “poisoning” of the charcoal due to the presence of gasses in the atmosphere, as well as the effect of humidity in the environment.

http://www.srsafety.com/cn/upl/files/110983.pdf
Ambient humidity and temperature
If a type A filter is used for organic solvents, the humidity in the air will be competing with the solvent for space in the filter, i.e. the higher the ambient humidity, the shorter the useful life of the filter. It should also be borne in mind that the filter will adsorb moisture even when not in use, unless it is well sealed while in storage. Impregnated carbon filters (B,E,K filters) do not have such sensitivity to ambient humidity. However, ambient humidity is not totally insignificant, since certain carbon types (especially those in K filters) have a reverse behaviour. These filters perform best when the moisture content in the carbon is fairly high and, if the filter is used in very dry air, it may dry out and its performance may then be impaired.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 04:30:21 pm »
What part of Aus are you in?

I’ve got a Pace Arm Evac for sale, doesn’t have the hepa filter but you might be able to add one in. It’s just the box itself, no arms or hoses.

If you’re interested, let me know.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 11:10:47 am »
Pm sent

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 03:08:12 pm »
Another thing, pushing away air goes much easier than"sucking" it.

I always just make these myself with a couple of cheap fans running at 7V pointing at a window.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 02:53:22 am »
So new problem: I can get the weller EL Kit 1 from digikey for $870 (as opposed to $1500 from e14). Obviously it is a 120V model, so I will need a transformer. But the thing I am trying to work out is if the 50Hz/60Hz change will matter. Given it claims to use a brushless motor and has a speed controller, I imagine that the power supply in the box is just a DC power supply, and then some sort of inverter to drive the motor. In this case, I think it should be fine.

Does anyone see a problem with my reasoning?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 02:58:43 am »
Just an update. I ended up getting the EL-KIT 1 from e14. I just asked them why their prices were so crazy, and they sent me a quote for AU$970. Arrived yesterday evening, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Offline Fludo

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 11:35:56 am »
We have a Weller Zerosmog at our ESD station at work, but the solder fumes seem to go around the hose rather than into it.  It is extremely expensive for the poor performance it provides.

I've had good luck using a Grizzly G9955 dust filter and a MERV 13 filter with carbon from amazon.  It's meant for power carving wood so the original filter will not work with soldering.  It has a plexiglass "hood" all around the intake and creates a lot of pull across the entire area.  There's enough height for my panavise and soldering stand to fit inside, and it reduces the smell and smoke from soldering significantly.

The bench top unit has a standard filter size: 19-1/2" long x 9-1/2" high x 1-3/4" deep and uses 2 1/20HP fans.  In addition it has 2 120VAC outlets on the side where I can plug in my soldering iron and a light.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Benchtop-Dual-Fan-Dust-Filter/G9955
https://www.amazon.com/FilterBuy-10x20x2-Pleated-Furnace-Filters/dp/B00CK01FRA/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1525779287&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=10x20x2+filter+merv+13&psc=1

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 01:14:34 pm »
We have a Weller Zerosmog at our ESD station at work, but the solder fumes seem to go around the hose rather than into it.  It is extremely expensive for the poor performance it provides.
Zerosmog what? tiny filter like on the picture or normal fume extractor? Zerosmog is trademark, not model.

Offline Fludo

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 03:21:54 pm »
It was the weller MG130 with dual hoses, the technicians don't even bother turning it on any more because it needs to be touching the iron to absorb the smoke.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 04:05:54 pm »
Sounds as if there is something wrong with it or it is used incorrectly. Although it's a bit too weak for using with 2 hoses IMO.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 05:16:11 pm »
Sounds as if there is something wrong with it or it is used incorrectly. Although it's a bit too weak for using with 2 hoses IMO.
As it's from a manufacturer that has experience with such products, my question is "when was the last time the filters were changed"?

Offline Fludo

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 01:50:05 pm »
It's a brand new unit, doesn't have more than 48 hours of use time....

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 05:48:17 pm »
It's a brand new unit, doesn't have more than 48 hours of use time....
FWIW, it's airflow specification is 140m3/h.

Have you tried seeing if it will suck up air properly without the filters installed, just to see if it's the unit vs. filter stack?

I ask, as I'm just wondering if there's an easily fixed obstruction (i.e. remaining packing material), or if the filter is DOA.

If it's not something easy & simple to solve on your end, send it back. There's plenty of other brands. For example, you could get a Quick 6102A1 for $695 (100m3/h actual per arm).

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 05:55:12 pm »
you can make one yourself if you prefer extraction at the soldering iron's tip. get approx 6-80w aquarium air pump the linear piston type, it has enough power to suck trough a canister of activated carbon plates and a power tool small hepa filter, i chose a milwaukee sds drill vacuum filter, it can support 2 irons with 6/4mm suction hoses and doesnt miss anything

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf