Author Topic: Welding to a PCB  (Read 6068 times)

Offline jtTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Welding to a PCB
« on: May 28, 2016, 09:48:05 pm »
Does anyone have experience capacitive-discharge welding to a PCB?  I came across the video linked below and had a few ideas in how a similar process could benefit an application I have in mind.  I haven't had a lot of luck finding any other resources on the processes, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any application notes, or could share personal experience of any pit-falls to be wary of.  I don't really have any specific questions right now - just looking to learn more about the process.

Thanks!

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Welding to a PCB
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:56:03 pm »
It looks similar to the welding apparatus for battery tabs. The key is very low voltage with up to a thousand amps; some people use rewound microwave oven transformers, to get very low source impedance. To get a low impedance using capacitors, a bank of ultracaps of several Farads could work:
http://www.ledhacks.com/power/tab_welder%20ii.htm has plans

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 12:37:03 am »
Hi

Resistance welding to copper is do-able, but it's not an ideal material to weld to. With a PCB, you normally have a very thin layer of copper. That gives you a pretty good heat impulse into the board. Coming up with a board process that does not let loose is tricky.

Bob

Offline jtTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:50:46 am »
With a PCB, you normally have a very thin layer of copper. That gives you a pretty good heat impulse into the board. Coming up with a board process that does not let loose is tricky.

Thanks - this is what I was mostly concerned about.  I've cap-discharge welded to Li-ion cells (like helius's mentioned application) but was concerned that the PCB features might be too thin to be reliable.   My application is high-reliability, so maybe there is a PCB fab process that can alleviate concerns (ex. hard-gold plating of some thickness)?

Thanks again for your insight. 

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 03:29:05 am »
Soldered (THT) screw terminals, with suitable hardware (star and tension washers, and strain relief for the cable) would be pretty good I think.

You can bolt directly to the board as well, but the board flows over time, so you need a lot of stiff spring washers to keep it solid.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:22:40 am »
I've tried it (using a discharge spot welder to weld poly batteries to a PCB, to avoid heating the batteries from soldering) but the connection was not mechanically reliable due to the thin-ness of the copper layer on the PCB.

Offline Neverther

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 07:39:32 am »
On the video it looks more like making a press fit with the spot welder as the added part is folded to touch both of the electrodes, pressed and then heated to change shape.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08:05 am »
Also looks like there's a lot of vias, which will help improve tensile adhesion.

Even just the metallurgical bond seems dubious; I'm not sure offhand how gold and nickel interact, but there are some metal combinations where that would be a bad idea, like purple gold formation against tin plated brackets.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf